What exactly causes batting pokies ???

I got a quilt with a white cotton (Hobbs) batting and a solid black backing. Uggh! The top was multi-colored, printed "bricks." I was using a #4 needle and SoFine thread top and bobbin.

I asked the customer if she would consider a printed backing, but she wanted the black. I explained that I was afraid there would be bearding.

I started the row of the panto and there was terrible bearding. I removed the stitches and turned the batting over, assuming I put it on up-side-down. I started again, and the bearding was just as bad. I called the customer and explained what I did and she said to continue. I took a picture and e-mailed it to her so she could see what I was talking about. She "wrote" not to worry, just quilt it. When I took it off the frame I thought, thank goodness I sent the e-mail so I had her response in writing if it should kick me in the ass.

When I returned it to her she was fine witht he bearding. Several months later I ran into her and asked how the quilt was after she washed it and she said the bearding went completely away. I was stunned! But, in a good way.

I don't know if washing it will always be the "fix," but in this case it was.

Archived