Clamps that secure the quilt sides and expanded base/Securing stitches and needle noise

Madison

I just finished two quilts on my machine which came out great. One is a christmas quilt which I will post when I finish the binding, the other is a baby quilt that is done in all flannel. I noticed that when I am securing my stitch to start, which is usually at a seam the needle makes a noise as it's trying to go through the seams and I typically have to help it through with the wheel. Could this eventually blow a fuse in the machine? I'd hate to be quilting late at night and the machine seizes! Also, I am doing a lot of ruler work with my expanded base. I've had to take off the clamps that attach to the quilt on either side of the frame as the base runs into the clamps and can't move. Does anyone have any recommendations? If I'm doing piano keys on the borders the material seems to slide because the base is shifting the fabric. It's not too terrible but annoying.

I use cheap curtain rods that sit over the leveler bar and the quilt top roller and under the clamp traps. If I keep them near the clamps they hold the clamps up a bit so the base doesn't run into them. Does that make sense? About your needle not wanting to go through thick seams - my machine does the same thing. Your greatest risk is breaking a needle which I've done a number of times. Some people don't seem to have any trouble with their machines balking but some of us do. I have pressed seams open, hammered them with my "whacker", and just hand turned the needle down, butI haven't found a really good solution yet.

madison -

i'd be interested to hear what you figure out about starting the machine in the seams as i have the same issue occasionally ~ although not often. if you think of it, post your solution when you post the pictures of the Christmas quilt.

I sometimes will need to manually push the needle through when starting at a seam. Dawn explained it recently--your machine will breeze right through heavy seams if it is running, but will balk taking one stitch. My solution--back down the seam intersection a quarter of an inch and bring up the thread there. Then proceed through the intersection--or back up to the intersection--as you start stitching.

Keep an extra fuse or two on hand for late night quilting sessions. You can get them at Radio Shack.

Your extended base should not push your border fabric around--it should sit at the same height as your needle plate. If it sits higher, that is a problem. If it sits correctly, check that your rollers are high enough. Can you fit your fingers up to the second knuckle between the back (bare) leveler roller and the base of the machine? This is the correct height for that roller. If the rollers are too low you can see the outline of the base of your machine through the layers when the quilt sandwich is tight. You shouldn't see the shape of the base at all. The fabric/batting should be suspended between the base and the hopping foot.

If the rollers and extended base are correctly placed, another solution for sliding border fabric is to pin baste or spray baste (hate that stuff!) so all the border is where it should be and stabilized. Remove the pins as you get to them.

Good luck and happy stitching!

Please post your Christmas quilt when you finish it.:)

On your clamp issue. Years ago I replaced those heavy clamps with some no roll elastic and use big saftey pins to attach it to the quilt. No more bumping issues and it doesn't weight the quilt down. I made the elastic long enough that I can attach it to the quilt on both ends so if needed I can have four attach points on my quilt.

I tried the curtain rods and yard sticks but they fell off or scratched the rollers. Last week I had a brain storm - I took a empty batting cardboard roll and cut two pieces a little longer than the length across the rollers, then cut out on one side and both ends enough so they sit on top of the bars. The cardboard rolls hold my clamps up while quilting and yet do not fall off with a clang when I roll the quilt forward. They just ride along :)

Archived