Thread breaking on George:which threads work for you?

AnnaH

Hi, I have a lot of lap quilts to sew for Christmas presents. I took time off from work yesterday so that I could get started quilting. My local dealer suggested that I buy polyester thread from Superior Threads in Utah. I ordered So Fine (50 wt) and Hollis Chateleine's thread (40 wt). George did fine with So Fine, but I ran out of it and tried the other thread, but it kept breaking on me! George definitely did not like the finer thread! I tried loosening the tension and putting a new needle in. Same results. So I quickly ordered more of So Fine, but it won't arrive till next week, probably Tues or Wed. So not to lose any time and although it's slower, I am quilting on my Bernina.

Can other George owners tell me which threads work for them? I did notice that the finer 40 wt thread almost looks like the YLI silk embroidery thread used for hand applique. Seems to me that it's just too delicate to be used on a longarm.

Any advice, observations, feedback, etc. are welcome. Happy Thanksgiving!

--Anna

Anna,

You probably could loosen your bottom tension a smidgen too. Actually, the Trilobal thread (40wt) is a heavier thread than the (50wt) So Fine. The trilobal thread actually has 3 diagonal cuts (tri) making it a triangular shape and this is what weakens the thread.

I had no problems running the 40wt on George. You just need to play around with that top tension and you will probably need to go a little slower. You will need to loosen your tension A LOT. Also, try going through just 2 holes in the 3 hole pre-tensioner guide. You can also move that guide to adjust tension.

Go back and read some of Dawn's post on tension. She give all kinds of ways to play around with tension. Get out a little practice piece and play around. When I do that I write down what I do bc I like to keep a record of what I like and dislike.

Does any of this make sense?

Sandra

Anna, I have used 100 wt Invisifil thread on my George and it has worked well. I've used it in quilting queen sized quilts. I do loosen the tension until I'm satisfied with the stitches. When I thread I also thread it only through one (usually) of the holes on each of the 3 hole guides. or I weave it through the top hole to the bottom hole without wrapping the thread around the sides of the guide. I have even done that style threading in the guides with King Tut.

What are you using in the bobbin? is that making a difference?

Something else that I have done is to tape ceramic fishing guides on George where there are long stretches of thread running with no guide. One along the throat length on the head, and then some on the head after the thread has gone through the tension spring and to the take up lever, etc. The guides help to keep the thread from whipping around and getting caught on parts or twisting. The guides are very inexpensive when you consider the time that you need to always rethread and figure out the adjusted tension. I think I spent under $10 to get them and have a couple left for replacement.

Hi Anna:

You didn't mention what size needle you are using. The 40 weight thread might require a larger eye than the 50 weight So Fine. I've also had good luck using Sewer's Aid (a silicone thread treatment available at JoAnns) and actually, you can get some mineral oil at the drug store and paint it onto your thread with a small paintbrush. It works just as well as Sewer's Aid and is much less expensive. It took me some time to get used to sewing with a variety of threads on my George but now I can use just about anything. His favorite, however, is still So Fine :)

Keep at it...you'll master it and will finish all those lap quilts with time to spare! Best, Nancy in Tucson

HI Anna...... I use the Superior tri-lobal poly on my George almost exclusively, and have had no problems. I use So Fine in the bobbin, I use a 3.5 needle, (and would actually like to use a 3.0, but our machines aren't timed for them). Someone told me that So Fine in the bobbin was just the right thing to use against the slick poly, and for me it has been problem free!

I agree with the others, that you have to play with all your tension settings on top and bottom, which will give you some really great stitching.

I just found out that I had been loading my bobbin into the case backwards, but had managed to have it work perfectly in spite of being totally wrong. I was looking for why there was a new vibrating sound from my George, and came across the bobbin info; silly me!!! I have now corrected it, but the stitch seems just the same. But, it did not fix the vibration!!!

Good luck with your settings, Lisel

Archived