edges

I am wondering how others do the 'edges' of the quilts as you move down the frame. Do you stitch 1/4" in along both sides? The reason I ask - if the border is a bit ruffled and you are easing in the extra fabric or if the quilt isn't quite square, particularly if there is a lot of piecing in the middle, sometimes maintaining that 1/4" is almost impossible. Are there tricks I am missing?

Thanks everyone.

Are you talking about basting down the sides? I do mine right on the edge after I've made sure I've squared up the sides. If I'm not planning on quilting off the edge at all, like having a floating quit design in the last border, then in that case I would use needle up/down to baste it. Otherwise I just run down the sides going on and off the edge. If I'm going to quilt the background and don't want the quilting to run under the binding then I chalk a 1/2" and stop my design there. This usually works out pretty well and ensures that I don't end up putting my binding over any of the quilt design. I hope that is what you are looking for.

Each time I roll the quilt on, I baste the sides of the quilt about an eighth of an inch from the edge.You don't want to let this sewing show outside what will be the binding area. If my quilt top is nice and flat, I just use a normal stitch, but if it's a bit full and I have to ease as I go, I will use the up/down needle so I can choose how long I want to make a stitch to help ease fulness in. Hope this helps!

Shelley

Archived