Naysayers

The quilt pattern came from a class I took last fall from Bonnie Browning of AQS from my quilting guild (Xquisite Scrap Quilt). I looked on her web site and it appears that the book with the pattern is out of print. She was a very, very nice woman, try emailing her and see if you can obtain the pattern from her (bonwayne@vci.net). I don't want to get into trouble for copyright infringement.

The scraps came from my sister. She and my mom do a lot of sewing for an animal rescue group. They sell the crafts to raise money for spaying and neutering animals for people who cannot afford it.

Barb gave me a large box and bag full of scraps and my mom says she has a large box also. Most of them are animal prints but you cannot tell from this picture. I love that you take all these little pieces that could end up in a landfill and make something useful out of them.

If you love scrappy quilts, check out this site: http://quiltville.com/ She has a lot of free scrap quilt patterns listed.

Here is another picture of K.C. my little baby girl trouble maker guarding her quilt top. Notice the toy in the lower left hand corner. That was a rolled up piece of wool fabric that I used for wetting seams. She snitched off my sewing table and it has become her favorite "toy". She is about 10 months old.

post--1346189787994_thumb.jpg

Hi Gail,

Thanks for the information. I think I will look into the quiltville freebies. I just took a quick peek and I think I will come back to it later tonight (after an exercise class at the YMCA), and print out a good set of directions. I have several scrap quilt books, too and seeing your quilt has given me a "push" to make something similar. I love scrap quilts.

Thanks,

Sandy

quiltfaerie, That quilt is so neat!! How are you going to quilt it? I do not have a long arm but thinking about it..... the cost is scary to me!!! I want to do it for a business, but I REALLY just don't even know where to start!! Do most of you have it in your homes??? Where in the world do you set it up ??? For those of you who do it for a business, it is somewhere different than your home? Right now, I have a Bernina 440 quilters addition and I know that is a far cry from a long arm, but that's what I am quilting with now. And I have not quilted for anyone else, except for gifts. So many questions, and so many questions I don't even know to ask!! lindasewsit

Okay this is my story, sorry may be a bit long.

Well I got my millie January 15, 2005. I've had nothing but trouble including when it was delivered the timing was off. So after months of trouble including being unable to pay my loan because I couldn't get the machine working I went to IMQA and worked in the judges room took a weeks worth of classes and met some amazing women.

I came home thinking great I'm ready to re-time my machine(I got one on one help while at the show) and get quilting well little did I know that there was a group of women telling people about my machine trouble and that anyone to bring me a quilt would be crazy and you no what people listened. Work was not available at least not for me. They were talking about foreclosing on my loan and things could have looked worse. Finally I gave in and said this is what I want to do and nothing is going to stop me.

Long story short I'm in a quilt shop with currently 2 dozen quilts waiting, and more arriving and the funny thing is the lady that told everyone that to bring me a quilt would be crazy is now my biggest supporter. Turns out the lady she used to use (the same lady telling people how terrible of a quilter I am)has been telling people that it would cost $100 dollors for a quilt and then when they would show up to pick up and pay for the job she would then say "oh it was more work than I thought so actually it's going to cost $140 dollars. So now it's been 2 years of her screwing other people and putting me down and now it's my turn.

So in the end beleive in yourself, follow your heart, listen to the wonderful ladies on this site. We've all been there done that, but if you perservere anything is possible.

Good luck and happy quilting

Tina Caderma

formerly The Quilt Lady

Canada

WooHoo, Tina!! This is sooooo great to hear! You'd said you had a ton of business since you'd gone into the shop, but I'm so excited to hear the news about "The Fall of the Critics" ! Are these the same people who were giving you a hard time about your children and pets? How cool is this? Quilt on Tina!

Hey Linda,

I took the quilt off my machine on Sunday. It is all done except for the binding. My 81 yo mother offered to stitch the binding down for me. She enjoys doing handwork. (Hmmm, maybe an offered service in the future?? If someone wants the binding sewn down, I have mom do and pay her.) Anyway, once she gets the binding done, I am planning on posting a new picture. I did an edge to edge on it. It was Jodi Bemish's pantograph pattern Simple Loops and Stars (http://columbiariverquilting.com/wls_simple_stars_loops.htm)

The cost is scary. I purchased a certified used Millie and I have been very happy with it. Not a lick of trouble other than my learning curve. I work full time and while it would be nice, it isn't necessary for the machine to pay for itself. It is coming out of my disposable income. :P Right now, I am just quilting for myself. My quilt guild gave me another top that needs quilting for charity so I will load that one next. Some day, when I retire, I am looking to do this on the side. At least, that is the plan right now.

Mine is set up in my basement. It came in seven boxes and weighted 450 pounds. I did the vast majority of the set up myself. How did I do it? I cracked the boxes open and dragged the stuff into my house one piece at a time. I had a little help with the side braces and getting that 47 pound machine head up on the tracks. Failing that, you can pay to have it set up by APQS.

Ask all the questions you want. That is how it has started for most of us. We ask questions, think about it, take the plunge. You will see, when I post the finished product, that I still have a lot to learn!

And Tina?? You go Girl!!! Bad Karma tends to get negative people all the time. I'm glad you didn't lose your machine.

Gail

I'm lucky to have very supportive family and friends. What used to get to me however is the "look down the nose" I perceived from so-called friends in a women's service club I used to belong to. These were lawyers, professors, just plain rich gals who clearly felt that my profession was too "blue collar" for their taste. They treated the nurse and personal trainer in the club the same way. Needless to say, I got out of that scene and found real friends who support me.

Oh Susan - thats to bad - but similar to a little old lady in the quilt shop who

was asking me about prices for an overall meander on a gueen size......

"OH My! $80 - that much? I can buy a skein of yarn for only $3 and tie

it myself" all a person wants to say is "Well - than go for it!!" Hmmmm...

I thought I was being nice ( new customer & in our guild ) and giving her

a good price..... thats what I get!

Want to add to Lindasewsit - click on the search button on

the top left corner, type in the keyword of your questions,

and you will be able to look up past posts, and Welcome

to the forum - we do have fun here!!

There are threads on here all about our machines. Oh read

the one about all of the names we have for our machines

thats a fun one!!:D

Gail, It has been awhile since I've been able to read and post, my life seems to be running at warp speed, but I love that quilt!!! It is so full of color and life. Thank you so much for sharing and for giving us the information to the pattern. Just keep on keeping on. With your attitude and already quilted top, you can only just keep going up.

Due to weather, etc. I have had a three month hiatus from my machine. I went out to the shop last weekend and almost couldn't remember how to turn it on. Now "Alice" and I are ready to dance again.

Don't think I could keep on if wasn't for the wonderful women and support on this forum. So thank you so much wonderful friends.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Gail, I am so loving that quilt. How cute is your quilting! Especially with that print of a little puppy.... Go for it, girl! You tell 'em!

I have saved scraps of fabric that are not wider than half an inch. I am going to see what I can do with them. Maybe a tiny mini or something, but I don't believe in throwing away ANYTHING that can be sewn. Yup. Good for you!

Archived