needles breaking

I was quilting a small piece (19 x 26") for a Christmas purse. I was using that heavy heavy stabilizer instead of batting. I have done this before. My machine broke a needle. I replaced it, stitched a little bit and broke another. I ended up breaking 6 needles and decided to quit and finish on the DM. I have never had a problem with needles breaking before. I have not tried anything else. I am hoping I do not have to do the four letter word (time). It would stitch fine while using the single stitch to baste around the edges but when I was using the IQ to cross stitch that was when trouble started. I am hoping that I just had the fabric too tight or the stabilizer was the problem. I just needed to vent.

Sharon, I've done a few quilts where the customer has used stabiliser - some are very stiff and have a few layers. I usually use a larger needle size and haven't had a problem, but I try not to quilt over more than two layers of fabric and stabiliser. If you can cut away the extra stabiliser before loading, that will help. Is the machine sewing normally on the edges of the quilt ie away from the stabiliser? Is the needle hitting something - a pin,or something in the bobbin area?

Hope you find the answers you need to get quilting again...

Shelley

Archived