New Here

wend

Hi! I am new here and wanting to learn before I buy my first long arm! I have several pieced tops waiting, but I am trying to be patient and choose the best machine for me. This will not be for a business, but personal use and I am hoping to maybe get a used machine to start out on (just in case!) I look forward to learning more!

I was going to try and do long arm quilting as a part time business when I retired. That did not work out. Too many long arm people in my area. And I really don't feel comfortable with how good I am. That said, I am not sorry I went with the APQS. It was my retirement present to me from me. I love to be able to do a quilt from start to finish. I am more than satisfied with the stuff I do for myself. And I have even done a few things for other people. They were very happy with what I did for them. APQS is the best and this forum is the best. If you ask a question someone will answer. And if you just want to check in and see what is new that is okay too. I have the APQS 2006 Milli and have never been sorry I bought the best.

I retired from teaching in May and my business is blossoming slowly but surely. I have about a dozen customers who keep me just about as busy as I want to be. I don't want to feel I don't have time to do QOVs or my own quilts. I love my Millie and I would not feel bad if I were only quilting for myself. I'm worth it!!!

Welcome. I love my Lenni. I've just gotten started. My very first potential client came today. She knows I'm new. She had a quilt with her and by the time she left the quilt that had stayed in the car was in my house too. I'm excited. Best wishes whatever you decide to do

Welcome to the APQS forum. this is a great bunch of people and I'm sure that you will find that out in the weeks & months to come. After you've been here for awhile, you will feel like you are in a big family. And while you are determining what machine you want to buy, you will get a head start of tips and tricks in Long arming. Don't be afraid to ask questions - there are a lot of experienced long armers here who will walk you through many situations. ;)

Hi Wend, welcome to the forum! You are in the same position as I was six years ago - just thinking, dreaming and planning about getting a long arm machine. I wanted to do it as business and needed to find out things like local council planning laws, which you don't need to worry about.

Think about the sort of quilts you'll be making - do you need a large frame to accommodate large quilts, or do you mainly do smaller quilts? Thus you can determine the best sized frame. What size room do you have to put your machine in?

If you are a short person, it's easier to operated a 26" or less I believe, because you can't stretch out your arms too far. We may be long-armers but some of us don't have long ARMS! But if you think you may eventually like to get a computer addition like Intelliquilter, it would be best to have a 26" or above so that the larger sewing area will accommodate the potential computer designs. I have recently ( last year) upgraded to a millie from another brand, and the features I really like especially are the needle up down function and the lights. I do have a bobbin thread cutter but only occasionally use it. If you buy a new machine, the 8 year warranty is excellent - I did have a few problems initally and they were solved relatively quickly.

Get some product information from the different machine companies and compare the features you want with the price you can afford. Many also send out a DVD so you can see the machine up and running. Best of all, if you can go and test drive the machines, do so. You can then compare how they feel as they quilt. I discounted two machines on this basis. What 's right for someone else may not feel right to you.

It took me 2 years to decide on a machine,( I wasn't able to test drive it, but I should have insisted) but the machine was a good one, but after using it , for 3 years, I realised there were features I needed but didn't have, if I was to remain in business. That's when I went and did test drives of 4 different machines. And I decided on a Millie!

Sorry it's a long answer - basically, do your research, and go for it! ( get a good book about LA too).

all the best,

Shelley

Wend,

Welcome to the forum! You'll learn so much here and the people are the absolute best!!! Good luck in your decision on purchasing a longarm. I've had mine since July and I'm so happy with my decision to purchase an APQS machine. Try out as many as you can...you'll find yourself coming back to the one that impresses you the most.

Thank you for the very nice welcome! And the info :) There is a store close by that sells long arms, I saw they had about six up that I could try out. They had an HQ, a Lizzy, a Milli, a Fusion, and probably a few more I am not recalling right now. I have not test driven any because I want to wait until I am ready to buy. I am short! So the info on the 26 inches is great to know! And I have not totally decided where it will go. I am a full nester, I keep thinking some of these kids will move out and they keep not moving lol. I am ready to just plunk it down in the middle of the TV room, do I need to leave room to access both sides or can it be up against a wall? I do large quilts (I have all boys *sigh) so I will need a monster. There are tons of people here who do this as a business so used machines do turn up here, there is an HQ up right now and a few Gammills.

What a nice group of people I found! Thank you!

Hi Wend.

If you are in a position to take a workshop at some of the big shows, please do so. In addition to learning a lot from some great long armers, you get to work on whatever machines provided for the class. I used an HQ and a TinLizzie. I purchased a domestic machine on a frame and used it for 3 years quilting my own quilts up to queen size. The whole time I was dreaming of an APQS one day. I had decided on a Lennie, but then APQS had this great sale on the Millie so you know what I bought! I have had her since September and LOVE LOVE LOVE the machine.

Teresa

You can put one end of your machine against the wall, but unless you know that you will never do pantographs, you have to leave room front and back to be able to quilt from either place. And then you need one end open, so you can move around from the front to the back.l

I don't know where you live, but if you happen to be in Western WA state, you can come over to my studio anytime to try out my APQS Millennium.

You guys are so sweet :) I live in Utah and there is a quilters show coming up in May, HMQS. They have a large list of classes, I don't even know what some of them are. You have all given me a great headstart and many things to consider.

Thank you

Hi Wend and Welcome to the forum! There are so many options to work around tight places. Everything in my studio is on casters, cutting tables, pressing cabinet, ETC. My Millie is on casters and I keep it pushed back against bookcases unless I am doing a pantograph. I mostly work from the freehand (front) side of the machine. When I want to do a panto, I just pull it forward. I also have it butted to the wall on the right hand side where my power fabric advance motor is mounted.

Good luck on your research; enjoy the process!!

Shannon, no one offered me Kool Aid!!!

Hello, Wend

I retired from teaching in 2003 and bought my Millie in 2006. I have not regretted buying the APQS machine. My only regret is that I often have no time left over for my quilts after completing customer quilts.

This forum is really helpful. I often wander through it and learn soooooo much. I don't even log in. Best of luck on your research and welcome.

Anette

Hi Wend,

Welcome to the Forum! I hope you find the info you need to choose the right machine for you. Last year I was in the same place you are, except I had already decided on an APQS, just wasn't sure when to buy and which machine. I went to a APQS Road Show in Feb and saw several machines and got to try them all. Like you, I am only quilting for myself, and I chose to get a new Lenni, and I love her! Just wish I had more time to quilt! Everyone at APQS has been great to work with. Enjoy your search!

Hi again Wend,

Glad you found the info useful! Regarding space around the machine, you need to allow at least two feet all around- but more on one side than the other. Two feet is the absolute minimum I would say. You can bump one short edge of the frame up to a wall, as you only need access to go around from one side to the other, so that can save some space. I have a friend who places her machine diagonally across the room to make it fit!

And don't forget all the other stuff you need - a table to lay the quilt on to check the size and any problems ie fulness in the border; cupboards to store things; small table handy to put the bobbin winder on and bobbins, threads etc.

Enjoy trying all those machines!

Shelley

PS my previous machine was 18" - great for my short arms, but I've had no problem using my 26", I just have to remember not to stretch too far forward!

I am between Salt Lake City and Provo. Nevada is not so far, are you coming up for the show in May? Would be cool to meet up with you. When they say a 12 foot table, do they mean a 12 foot table? Or is it 12 feet with some doo dads sticking out so you really need 14 feet of space? I have not seen any suggestions on how to get some of these people to move out yet....I am kinda hoping putting the machine in front of the TV will do it lol! I have not really talked price with the husband, but I really don't want to go over 10k and I really want to be as far under it that I can. We went to Hawaii a few weeks ago and I want to go back! So I need to have money for that too! And on the Kool-aid, I want a custom blend of grape and lemonade :) always my favorite!

yes, i am coming to hmqs in may. for one day only...probably friday. i have never taken classes and one day works for me. would love to meet up with you.

table length? 12' required 12'9" of space...plus additional to gt around one end.

the 14' table requires 14'9" plus room to get around at least one end. hope this helps. the fabric advance sticks out beyond the end of the table. the length of the table does not mean the leader length however. 12' table has 126" leaders and 14' table has approx 150" leader length.

Archived