Quilting space on Liberty?

I have a question regarding how comfortable the width of quilting width is for Liberty owners. I guess my main question is...do you feel cramped? there isn't enough space? do you find it frusterating not to be able to quilt in a larger area?

My reason for asking is that I currently own a Millie and I am considering adding another machine with a compuquilter. I loved quilting on the Liberty at MQX, but was concerned about the quilting space. (I had just sold my gammill which has lots of room to quilt). Now, quilting in a smaller area, I may feel better quilting in a smaller space. I know I need to go and try one out again. The two scenarios are: 1) get a Liberty with a compuquilter 2) add the compuquilter to my millie. I would like a smaller machine than a Millie. Third choice is an A-1 with a compuquilter...has any one quilted with one? I do have a friend with an A-1, but she seems to be fighting tension problems alot.

I was talking to a lady who was selling a statler with the optimum which is way to heavy of a machine for me. She stated she would go back to the gammill premier even though it was small...she loved the size.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this subject.:)

Thanks,

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Cheryl, I have a Millie with the CompuQuilter so I can't answer your question regarding the Liberty. However, when you put the CompuQuilter on, you will a little space. So, if you feel the Liberty is too small now, I would put it on the Millie. There are many times when using the CompuQuilter that I wish I had more space. I feel like I constantly have to stop and roll the quilt.

My feeling is to go with the biggest amount of space you can get if you are going to be using mainly the CQ. The less you have to stop and roll, the more quilting you will get done.

I love my CQ and highly recommend it.

Sue,

Thanks for the thoughts on putting the compuquilter on the Millie vs. a Liberty and your desire at times to have more space on your Millie when using a compuquilter. I hadn't considered this issue.

So to those who own Liberties...what are your space issues, if any?

Definitely food for thought...now about those cookies I baked last night....better go find one.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Guest Linda S

The Liberty has about 11.5-12" of actual quilting space. From the back of the machine, I sometimes wish I could do bigger pantos, but from the front, I can assure you that I would not want any more space. I do a lot of custom work and sit to quilt. I don't think I would have much control of the machine farther away from my body than 12". I absolutely love my machine. It's light and glides like a feather. If you're not actually going to be driving, and want it for the compuquilter, you might want the bigger area of a Millennium. If you're going to be actually driving from the front of the machine, a Liberty is perfection itself.

Linda

Thanks Myrna and Linda....

I did love the Liberty at MQX for the mobility and lightness of the machine. I do a lot of pantos for customers because they don't want to spend the money for custom quilting and that is why I choose the Millie. But I love doing art quilts and details which I can't accomplish as well on the Millie.

I, also, need a second machine to run itself so I am not quilting every evening for customers. Plus with all the statlers in the neighborhood (there are 6 of them)....the precision on motifs...I feel shot out of the water so to speak.

I do so appreciate your responses as it will help me make a sound decision.

Cheryl

I live my Liberty for it's light weight, I can work close for hours, and in a larger space, I can't imaginge reaching that far out into the quilting field. I even loose a bit of control at the far edge on my Liberty. I have only missed the throat space once or twice.

So I agree, have the Millie retrofitted for CQ and get an easy to handle Liberty!

Hi Cheryl,

Don't forget about the Freedom. You can eliminate the thread cutter, which will compensate for the weight of the CQ addition. and save some cash to puchase some great patterns. Or go with the Freedom SR if you still want the stitch regulator. I have both the Liberty and the Millennium, and while I love the light weight of the Liberty and have done many quilts on it, the trade off in quilting space isn't worth it for me. Don't forget that the Liberty is not only shorter in the throat depth, but also the throat HEIGHT!. I find it a bit tight when working with rulers and templates. But that's just me. Maybe I have fat hands! LOL

With the Millie, and the Freedom machines you have those great ergonomic handles which give you an extra 6" of reach.

Personally, I wouldn't put a CQ on a Liberty. I don't want to be limited in the size of computerized patterns I can do, and with the new Wreath Maker feature, you want all the space you can get! It is an incredible addition to the already phenomenal possibilities of the CQ.

Keep in mind that the A-1 has a 23" throat as compared to the 26" throat of the Millennium & Freedoms. Sometimes, every inch counts. :)

I have considered the Freedom, but would definitely want a SR. I quilt most of the time w/o one, but there are times when it is nice to have. I, too, had forgotten that the Liberty is shorter in height, but I am a shorty too at 5'2"(and holding).

I am sooo thankfull for all of the input. It is helpful to hear concerns or points that I have forgotten about since MQX.

My friend, with the A-1, say she only has about 17" of actually quilting space. That is more than the Liberty. I do believe it weighs more too, but not as much as a Millie.

Naw, there is no way you would have fat hands.

thanks,

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA:)

Hi Cheryl Sounds like you know where you are needing to go. The CQ on your Millie and that sweet Liberty for your art and freehand work. You can always go to your Millie when you need more room. Give Lisa Langlais a call she is in you back yard so to speak and she will take very good care of you. it's always nail biting to make a decision. However you will have the best of all worlds. I think I'm turning a little green with machine envy LOL ;)

Myrna

I have a A-1 and love it. Light weight and gave up my space my old Nolting had of 24" to the 19" I have now. Only notice the diff in space when doing blocks. I was thinking of getting the new Robo Quilter for mine..but will have to save to get one. No wires go arnd the table and seen it at the Quilt show and fell in love with it. Works on any machine. I've had 4 machines in my 16 years only 2 brands but is always whatever you feel comfortable with using. Thats why they make so many different ones.

Hi Cheryl:

You have had quite a lot of information here. This is my two cents worth. We have a Millennium, Liberty and Freedom with CompuQuilter. Mary and Janet have used the Millie for about 4 1/2 years (another brand for 6 years before the Millie). The Liberty is light and easy to move, however Janet and Mary both prefer the Millennium for several reasons, more work space and ergonomic handles. We put our CompuQuilter on the Freedom. If you are planning to dedicate a machine to the CompuQuilter I would consider a Freedom (the only options you would need is, Needle Positioner, Single Stitch) which would save a lot of money. You would not need the laser or the thread cutter. (The stitch regulated Freedom is only $600 less than the Millennium.) The CompuQuilter does not use the stitch regulator. The limited work area of the Liberty would be a challenge when using the CompuQuilter. (It is much better suited to the larger machines.) Much of the quilting here is done without the stitch regulator engaged. This would free up your Millie for your freehand work. The Millennium lets you get more done in the same time than using a Liberty because of the limited work area of the Liberty.

If you are in a high production business the Millennium will accomplish more in the same amount of time than the Liberty.

The Millennium outsells all the other models put together by a huge margin and there is a reason is it so popular. throat space, ergonomic handles, channel locks.

Tough decision and you should consider visiting your local dealer and test driving a Liberty.

Mary reviewed my answer and thought it might help you in your decision making process.

John

Yes, I have spoken to Lisa earlier today...but we have had this conversation a few months ago. Lisa is a super person. I don't consider my business "high" in volume, but I do enough to keep me more than busy.

Mynra...you could come and quilt at my house :>) I even have an extra room (my oldest married this spring). But I a distance from your place.

John...part of my thought process is the desire to have a smaller lighter machine that is very easy to move around on the frame. This is one of the reasons I am not entirely sold on the Freedom As I mentioned earlier, I love doing art quilting...but for me the Millie is good but not as easy to move around as the Liberty. That is why the A-1 is a consideration. The A-1 is light, easy to move but has more throat space than the Liberty. I am not a weakling by any means...but my arms are only so long and I am only so short (my sister got all the height in my family). Unfortunately, Lisa doesn't have a Liberty to test drive again. I can test drive an A-1 again because my LA friend uses one.

Q-Fairy...how does your tension hold on your A-1? What is a Robo Quilter? I haven't been to a quilt show since MQX this year and I didn't see a Robo Quilter. I could have missed it since I spent sooo much time in classes.

I still have to figure everything out so I do appreciate any other thoughts on this subject.

Thanks,

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA:)

Guest Linda S

Cheryl - I think you were on the right track to begin with. You loved quilting on the Liberty, so it sounds like it was a really good fit for you. Put the compuquilter on your Millie (you can still use it without it if you need extra quilting room), but if you're going to be doing custom, art quilts, etc., where you want to sit and stitch, the Liberty is a fabulous machine. I worried at first that the handles weren't ergonomic, etc. NOT a problem. I love, love, love that machine. I think you will too, since you were already taken with it when you tried it out.

Linda

Linda and Diane,

I am glad to hear of your satisfaction with the Liberty. I feel more confident in my plans for purchasing a compuquilter and machine.

Mynra,

I do believe the wheels are fine...but you never know...I play around with them some more.

Part of the reason for purchasing another machine is to not be quilting in the evenings to keep up with business and always feeling like that quilting the next persons quilt is what I need to be doing. I know these are my issues...life is tough sometimes.

I love to teach quilting and dyeing classes, but time is so pressed with quilting for others (I understand that I create that pressure). I know people handle this situation differently, but for me to be 2 months out on quilting is not a good. Another LA'er pointed out that the one advantage the ladies with the 2 machines have is turn around time. I am fortunate to have a large sewing room that should accomodate two machines with some rearranging.

Everyone has been extremely helpful.

Thank you...I am always open for more thoughts!

:)Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Hi Cheryl

It sounds like you are thinking of having two machines - one with CQ. I'd get the Liberty and keep it for freehand work and put the CQ onto the Milli you already have. I think you would enjoy CQ more with the extra throat space. With the Liberty doing freehand you don't need anymore throat space than it provides. You want to be quilting with your elbows bent comfortably for better control.

Sue in Australia

Archived