BIG SHOT PRO VERSUS ACCUQUILT

love to hear what others have to say. Been checking this out, accuquilt are having big issues supplying their machines. they had lots of problems with the handle on their GO machines jamming and having to replace the whole machine, was told that they are having to change the handles on the new models - they give a one year warranty.

Big shot Pro the purple one - for quilters - takes all the GO! dies and a great number of the studio dies, it takes all the Sizzix and Ellsion dies and they have hundreds, they have a whole range for quilters some out and more coming in February. The dies are cheaper from them! the machine is cheaper than the studio and indeed not much more than the GO! the warranty is 5 years.

I have read on a few places that the Big Shot Pro will take all the GO! dies and have been tested! The Accuquilt Will NOT take any other make of dies - it will not take the Studio and the Studio will not take the GO!

A store in Canada seems to be researching and trying out all these machines -- I am in Canada and will buy here - this store seems to be checking them out and as they are quilters it is a huge help to check their website.

I am trying to decide --- but to be honest I think writing this to you all has helped me see clearer!

The Big Shot Pro may be new for Quilters - but the company has been around longer than any other die cutting company. Westminster Fibers would not be involved with them if their reputation was going to be tarnished.

www.stitchintheditch.com have an introductory offer and it seems like an amazing price. The quilter big shot pro is more expensive than the blue big shot pro but then you get about $200 more in equipment to use with the longer tray for the big dies etc. So the 50$ difference is a bargain. I can order any dies from this company, accuquilt, sizzix, ellison - so I am very tempted!!

I also found out that Sizzix have their own factory to manufacture the goods in China so they are in control.

Accuquilt manufacture in China but do not have their own factory - so perhaps that is why they are having such issues with manufacturing.

I can also order my own design from Sizzix through this store of course.

So has anyone got one and how great are they????

I want to reduce the effort with cutting - hand issues ! and then I want those perfect cuts --- of course cutting a whole quilt in an hour or less sounds like heaven!

so all you ladies with fabric cutters let us know what is working and what you all think

Originally posted by hmerrill

Jenny I have the studio cutter and I just love it. I'm interested to hear what other dies work with it though. It definitely saves times cutting. I was afraid that it would waste a lot of fabric but I hardly have any waste. Just love it too pieces.

Ebony Love has a video on her website showing how to use the Sizzix dies with the Studio. She also explained somewhere on the yahoo group how to use the GO dies (although Accuquilt doesn't endorse this). I have ordered the tray adapter. I got it on the Accucut Craft Website for Educators because they have a 30% off coupon on that site with free shipping. It cost be $14.

http://quiltpossible.com/category/videos/

Guest Linda S

Still, it was interesting to look at the machine. You can find it at www.sizzix.com I don't think I'd be sold on it using Go dies, etc. -- looks to be much cushier (if that's a word). For now, I'm still cutting my own stuff.

This Jenny Hobbs! has been lurking! sorry if I do not post often - I respect this site and wanted the great opinions that have come so far.

you asked which store it was in Canada - I was given the website - www.stitchintheditch.com

I saw that Ebony has used some foreign dies in her studio, I did ask Accuquilt about this and they said NO - it would destroy the machine and they would not cover the warranty if we used anything else. This is scary - want to be able to use other companies dies and know I am not canceling out my warranty. Seems so many have had issues with the GO handle and if the warranty had been voided then they would be in a bad place.

Asked Sizzix if they approve other companies dies in their machine and they said YES they have adapters to adjust to the change in size of each die ---- I have not bought as yet -- so I am asking questions --- everywhere, I have a friend with the GO and she loves using it, she was torn between the Studio and the GO and then decided she could not afford the dies for the studio and then it is not available in Canada and that was another issue.

I am not rushing into this ---- at least not to day!! I really really am happy to have you tell me your thoughts, I get the impression that Studio owners love their machines! I have been told that Studio is a much stronger machine than the Go.

I want to start off with a machine that does it all! If that is possible - don't want to buy and then regret a few months later- so it is all about doing what is best at the time!

Saw another site in the states that recommend and use Accuquilt dies in the B.S. P. machine. I feel it would be very irresponsible for Sizzix to tell us they have tried and used accuquilt on their machines if this was not true. Keep the info coming --- want all I can get before the big investment!

Linda

wanted to mention --- I think this is a big investment - so I always research carefully. I have phoned Accuquilt and asked questions, phoned Sizzix and asked questions. Checked what Ebony said about using other dies in her Studio.

So I am sharing what I have done so far -- it takes a great deal of time to try find out all the information.

Also mentioned that I spoke to someone at Accuquilt who told me about the handle issues --- so I want to know if that is a reason to not buy this smaller one. Have heard from many that the Studio is much stronger and they love it - it is not available here.

so please do not write me off! I want honest information from users.

I could wait until we are in the states to buy but then I never go to Nebraska where they are sold at Accuquilt, it is a very heavy machine and would not want to pay the postage and then import duties and whatever else comes with bringing in a large machine.

Linda -- if you are a fabric cutter user - please share what your experiences are --- that is all I was asking!

Hi Jenny,

If you do a search on this forum, you'll find this topic discussed a few times. I have the AccuQuilt with Studio dies and I love it. A difference between the Big Shot Pro and Accuquilt Studio is the width of the roller on the machine..the AccuQuilt is wider, thus you can get wider dies to use with the studio. I have the Big Shot for scrapbooking and I use many manufacturer dies with it...you just have to use spacers to make the dies fit. I use the cardboard from cereal packages to make my spacers.

The AccuQuilt is extremely stable and sturdy, way stronger than my Big Shot (the regular one, not the pro), I do not use my Studio dies with the regular Big Shot as it is too small (nor would they fit as they are thicker in design).

Feel free to email me if you have any questions, I am in Canada too. FYI...all the machines regardless of brand come from the USA into Canada...and if you are a longarm quilter set up as a business...you can buy them and the dies wholesale in Canada except for the AccuQuilt and Studio dies...they are only available direct from AccuQuilt.

There is a very active yahoo accuquilters group. Ebony posts there regularly. Have you asked there? Does not make sense to me that another machine could take both the studio and go dies -- have you looked at them? The goes dies have a plastic base and are not nearly as high (thick) as the studio dies, which have a plywood base.

Accucut markets the adapter for the GrandeMark, which is the same as the Studio. I had previously called them about the machines and was told that the GrandeMark and the Studio were identical. On the website they say it is for using the older Accucut dies and the Sizzix dies, so if properly used, I don't think it would void your warranty.

I opted for the Studio over the Go because it is much sturdier and I have the room for it. I have been busy cutting my scraps up into the shapes that came with the Bread and Butter package and making sampler blocks. I also bought the Winding Ways Block when they were having a sale. Expensive block, but I love this pattern. Having the block die cut makes putting it together a snap - no problem doing the curves - no special foot.

Recently there have been great sales on some of the dies. I hope they continue doing this. I can't afford too much, but will splurge on myself once in a while.

I agree with Linda, Accuquilt has really great sales. I haven't paid full price for any of my dies. Just have to be patient and buy only when dies are on sale. I also have to watch my dollars and can only buy when I can get them on sale and free shipping. I really want to start cutting up my stash as it is really out of control;););). I just need to get through Christmas and family visits and plan on making progress with my stash after the holidays.

A couple thoughts on the Accuquilt, Studio, Big Shot, etc.

They are 3 diff machines, one much sturdier, different sizes, too.

I noticed the Big Shot doesn't say much about cutting fabric.. the mention of material could and sounds like, they are talking about whatever substance you put thru it to cut, rather than fabric material. Most of what they say is directed towards the craft making, more than quilting.

The wider will of course allow more variety to shapes as well as sizes you want to cut.

Not sure now if that says what I wanted it to..

1. a craft cutter isn't going to hold up long (in MY opinion) cutting fabrics.

2. Accuquilt has been great to handle the handle problem.. no pun intended. lol

3. Cutting up to 8-10 layers of fabric at once, requires a sturdier, stronger machine.

4. I don't use my Go for shop purposes.. just my own use, once a friend used it.. don't need the space taken up with the Studio, don't know the size of the BS cutter (roflmho) and don't need to cut 10 layers at once though I admit, a couple times it would have been nice.

Nor do I have the bucks to buy pricier templates.

I would again, consider the cost, into the possible years left in me to cut and sew, How it would be used, and by how many people, how many layers it cuts at the recommended max, and of course, are they adding shapes and sizes...

Just my meds flowing thru the brain, so nothing of monumental note, or even just note.. just my thoughts on all this.

I ordered my Big Shot Pro - the purple machine, can't wait to receive it. I ordered a bunch of small applique dies and the 2.5 inch strip cutter die, the big blue one.

Which dies are everyones favourable ones? I need to build up my die stash!

Sizzix will be releasing more dies in Feb 2011.

Rita, the BS Pro does cut fabric, 6 layers, you're too funny.:D

Strange how Accuquilt are selling at really low prices -- suddenly --- do we suspect they are scared - competition is out there and will be bigger and better in the new year!!

Good for all that they are running scared -- they are selling way below the poor old distributors.

I have ordered my big Shot Pro with the mix and match die set from Accuquilt plus the 2.5 strip die from sizzix! I like the way that www.stitchintheditch.com have bundled these dies and are offering this great deal, I have no issues with either companies dies - I am excited I can use both!

Have also ordered a few sizzix star dies as they are at silly prices! I had been looking at the ones from Accuquilt and then decided the cost was way too much for the number of stars I will use. Will let you know how it is going when it is going!! I am not going to be using it much until January -- got to get the holidays out of the way.

Excited we have competition in the Fabric Cutter world for Quilters ---- it means better prices for us! Want that large square die from sizzix - 10 inch and then also the 8.5inch they are arriving to this store in february, they are useful sizes. Been fantastic to get feed back.

Will probably ask the Studio ladies for ideas on the most used studio dies that I can consider ( on sale) to use in my Big Shot Pro machine.

I know the BS Pro takes 6 layers of fabric at a time ------ will let you know how this works and how I find this number, also want to try the thicker fabrics and let you know how they go through. I am excited!

Wonderful that we Canadians have our own store to get good deals and to be honest they are lovely people - really helpful and I feel I can totally trust them.

Congratulations on your purchase!!! I have had the studio for about 3 years and can't imagine doing without it! It has it's own designated spot in my cutting room and is always ready. I know it says it will cut 10 layers but I have found that with most cotton 12 layers does best. If I only put 5 or 6 in it doesn't cut quite as well. I have a wide variety of dies but the most used ones are 5 inch square....I can get 96 with one pass on the accu cut and the strips. I have recently started renting out my machine by the hour and also cutting for other people. I have more than made enough to pay for the cost of my machine and am starting to recoup the money I have spent on dies. The studio and it's dies are so sturdy that I am sure they will continue to perform the same way years from now. Competition is always healthy and is a benefit as far as prices. I am just so thrilled with my studio and my dies that I wouldn't even consider another brand.

Thanks Cheri

I know how happy the studio owners are! Wish is another reason I wanted the option to use the Studio dies - after all it is the dies we all want to use! I like some of the GO! dies and some Sizzix that was a reason for me to decide to go this route. We can not get the studio in Canada and it is great to get a strong reliable machine here in Canada. I know if I had bought a few years ago I would have headed to the states for the Studio and paid a fortune as they were much more expensive then. Now with competition prices are more realistic. Hope the competition sees lots of new dies at prices we can all afford. i think the 5" square is going to be on my list - see I can get one that cuts 4 five inch shapes on each die - it is in the $30 range here in Canada - the accuquilt had one at same price that only has two on the die - so I will place an order for that --- I did ask www.stitchintheditch.com if they had these and was told an order is on the way, also the half square triangle 5" it is under $30. so when they arrive I will possibly order these are a great size to have. I bet you have the most awesome quilts - its all about the perfect cut! my friends tell me it is a breeze to sew up perfect cuts!

thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Jenny's post sounds like an info-mercial--just saying......:o

Linda, I have ordered! getting the big shot pro and the mix and match dies from Accuquilt plus other dies from Sizzix! What a bundle - I am excited and just had to share.

the comments here helped me a great deal. There is little difference with fabric cutter machines so I needed input from all the ladies who use them, versatility was really what I wanted. I do not know what an info -mercial is I suspect it is not good! Sorry it is just me asking questions and getting great answers!

I am a lurker and only come on when I need expert help!

lol, I would hope you will be coming on to give encouragement, help, advice to others, now and then. We do like to share.. and I do NOT mean this in a mean and nasty way.. just that we give, others can give to us, too. Round and around it goes.

An info mercial is an Information Commercial about a specific product..

Archived