Is this possible?/anyone tryed this...

I was asked today if I can quilt a design in the blocks of a rag quilt. She would put the quilt togehter, but not rag the edges yet. I always thought the point of a rag quilt was to quilt it yourself, but...

I think the customer wants something fancy in the blocks and does not do free motion.

How would I load it?

Will the seams be in my way?

Is it a fleece rag quilt...or flannel? I suppose you could do it...but the seams might be a pain to get around to hop from block to block. You would probably have to add fabric to the top and bottom to pin it to the leaders. Not sure a rag quilt is really worth all the trouble this is going to take. Isn't the idea of a rag quilt so that you finish it quickly and because you don't quilt perhaps?

All I ever did to the shraggedy quilts was sew an X with the Viking. I would hope the blocks are large enough you aren't battling seams in the middle of the blovk. I don't think they will "bother much" but also think the difficulty would be in how high the hopping foot is. When you center a block, I'd leave the foot outside that block, and then you'd only have to hop the seam once per block, until you exit. Would be pretty using a diff design in each, to sharpen skills.. there I go, making work for you.. sorry. ;O)

I have done one rag quilt and won't do another. . . ever!!! I did it on my DSM, not my MIllie.

The corner seams will be bulky to move across, if you are moving from square to square for the design, I would suggest you move across the seam in the middle of the block, you could spread the seam allowance open and sew through one of the cuts, but if it isn't 'ragged' yet, you will have to cut it yourself before moving to the next block. Maybe have the custome make a cut in the seam allowance in each square.

You should be able to use the seam allowance for ragging to pin to your leaders, it will probably be 1/2" - 3/4" depending on her seam allowance.

I think this would be very time consuming, hence increasing the cost of the quilting. She may only want a design on 1 our of 4 blocks, etc.

I have also seen a rag quilt done where there was no design in each square, not even a X and it was fine.

Good Luck!

Joanne Flamand, aka wannabelongarm

Artistic Quilt Designs

I've done a few. You can do them on the longarm; but you have to lip the seam where it intersects and pin it to one side and then the other to get any quilting in the corners of the blocks. Even then you can't get real close. But it can be done! Yes, it's a pain. I was doing it for my son, so 'nough said. I usually do them on my Bernina.

Ardelle I think your right to pass on this one. I have made a few rag quilts on my DSM and the whole idea of this type of quilt is to quilt a block at a time and then sew the blocks together. I have never heard of the blocks being sewn together before quilting, that kind of defeats the whole purpose of this type of quilt. Tell her this is the perfect opportunity for her to practice the quilting motifs she wants, quilting one block at a time is much easier than pulling a large quilt through your DSM.

Archived