Help! Frozen Hyme Joint

barbm

A customer in Canada received her Millie shipment yesterday and has it setup and almost ready to start playing, but she has a problem I've never seen and don't quite know how to fix: the movable ball inside the Hyme joint on one of her roller supports is frozen in place, with the hole through the ball hidden inside the outer casing. She's tried WD-40 to loosen it, and I suggested she remove the joint and soak it in hot, soapy water to see if that loosens it - I haven't heard whether she's been successful or not. I also suggested applying heat via a hair dryer.

Any other suggestions out there while we wait to hear from APQS on Monday?

Could she possibly throw the thing in the freezer for a while? At work we assemble things by either freezing one part or heating one part to get them to either expand or contract enough to put them together. Maybe freezing the joint will contract it enough to get it "unfrozen" !?!

I think she will have a hard time putting the hyme joint in the freezer...it is the small ball on the end of the table legs that the rollers slide in to. It is notched...and the roller has a pin that goes into it. Make sense?

I take it back...you could remove the joint by unscrewing it. If there is any little bit of space where the joint is...you might be able to pry it loose too.

Pat,

The Hyme joint is the "eye bolt" thing that the ends of our rollers go through - there are eight of them, four on each leg. You can unscrew them out of the leg, which is what my customer has already done - she's sent the troublesome joint to a friend's machine shop, in hopes that they can do some magic on it.

I can't tell you all the things I've learned about our machines out in the field.....;)

This Hyme joint has quit the notoriety here in Nakusp with half the town having its say as to what to do with it. Small towns are wonderful.

I tried the hot soapy water trick, no go. I tried the freezer for an hour, no go. Then sent it to the machine shop. Well they had a hell of a time with it, but by finally putting it in a vice and using a variety of tools managed to force the hole in the inner ball to the correct direction. But she is ceased in there and no longer floats but I am able to use until a new one arrives. I positive side of this was the machine shop said and I quote “ it (the Hyme joint) was extremely well made and had it worked would last forever”. They also commented that this should have been caught in the quality control before it left the factory.

I see a new Hyme joint is on the way but keep in mind for the future...

Remember that "hot" water will expand things, even metal.... "Cold" water will shrink things, even metal. So... rather than soak in hot, I would encase it in a large bag of ICE for an hour or so and then see if you can wriggle it free with some WD40 or lubricant. Good luck!

Archived