What to pay someone to piece tops

I have a number of quilt tops I'd like to do for myself personally, but don't have the time. I want to ask a couple of women in my guild if they'd be interested in piecing for me. They are easy beginner patterns in sizes double, queen and king. I haven't a clue as to what to charge them.

Have any of you ever done something like this before?

Thanks.

Sharon

Linda,

I ultimately want to make quilts from start to finish and sell completed quilts, so I'd rather establish a set price upfront.

In my posting yesterday, I forgot to mention that I would want these individuals not only to sew the tops together, but also cut out the pattern pieces.

If you where to ask me to piece for you my rate would be $15 to $20 per hour...even a beginners quilt. It is a skill to piece a quilt accurately no matter the complexity of the pattern. It will also depend upon the person...some don't value their time as much as others. Mine is worth $$:).

The best way is to figure out what you would expect to get paid for cutting and piecing the top. Then approach the person with a low figure and a high figure in mind....maybe give her the lowest one and see if she'll do it for you.

Don't forget to figure in your time for quilting in the selling price.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Archived