A day with Myrna

Wow, Myrna Flicken is a miracle worker. I only spent one day with her and then I came home and did this.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k250/simplyeggcellent/

Actually I did throw this together in just a few days. I had planned to enter the fair quilting contest, but this is not what I had planned. This contest has been won every year for the past 7 years by something very traditional and handquilted. (Lone Star, Ohio Star, Log Cabin). I probably won't win, but I sure hope somebody goes WOW when they see my wall hanging.

I also did enter two "more traditional" quilts.

You never stop amazing me. It looks just great. I cannot imagine you NOT quilting. You have truly found your talent. The quilt is too cool. I love the colors and the piecing pattern.

Congrats. I will be so glad when I get a few days with Myrna. You are so lucky. The fun she has shows in her quilting and apparently it RUBS off on her students.

Love it,

Grammie

I saw that design in a book at Nashville. I couldn't buy the book, but I remembered the author's name. When I got home I googled and found her website. She had a quilt gallery of student work. I looked in the gallery and found a design similar to the one I did. I drew it on copy paper, then freezer paper, then fabric. It took 2 nights to piece it and I night to quilt it. I love it. I am going to hang it on my sewing room wall when it comes back from the fair.

Such a stunning wall hanging! I agree it makes an excellent "sampler" of your quilting abilities. Makes me think I need to expand out of my "box" one more step!

We are looking forward to "tying" down a date for Myrna to come to our studio for a workshop. I think it must be time for serious talks from looking at the results! I know she has some wonderful talents to share with everyone.

It is a great book by Cara Gulati, 3-D Explosion. I bought it at Festival a couple of years ago. I am catching on that just buying the book or pattern does not translate into have a pieced top :( As you can see from Teresa's quilt it does make a nice samplers. You can copy the patterns in the book and play with color placement very easily. Getting out of the box is really exciting.

Hi Janet, Are you all cooling off? I'm working on my schedule for next year for anyone wanting to host or take workshops.

Myrna

....Teresa! I really like it! Both: your piecing and your quilting! Good luck in the show!*fingers crossing*

One silly question: I couldn?t figure it out of carla?s website - is it pieced with freezer paper or the pieces applicated?

Piecing with the curves would be a real challenge* just wondering*;)

Have a great day.....

Gone quilting right now....

Claudia, who is really lucky to see Myrna very soon:cool:

Claudia,

I did it by drawing it on freezer paper, cutting the pieces out with a generous seam allowance, then finishing one edge of each piece to overlap it over the raw edge of another piece. I used a glue stick to hold them in place until stitching. So I guess it is kind of like applique. I'm not sure if that is the way Carla does it, but that worked for me.

Teresa - I LOVE IT! Great colors and quilting - you did good girl! Awesome!

I told Carla at APQS (des moines) that I would really like Myrna to come to

their location for classes! Really think it would be great fun and I love her

work - she seems so nice too! She said she would look into it for next year.

Hear that Myrna ??? Please keep that in mind - we really want you to come

up and over here too!

Can you believe this wall hanging didn't even ribbon at the fair? I was so disappointed. Both the quilt categories were won by the same lady. On her bed size one she did pre-printed barn panels with added embroidery stitches, handquilted of course. For her wallhanging she did a kind of crazy quilt log cabin looking block in light colors, also hand quilted. She won grand champion and reserve grand champion both.

Ah Teresa, you are the grand champion winner our book. the quilt is stunning. Makes me want to learn more and practice more so I too can do beautiful stuff like you. Don't get discouraged by that show. sounds like she is an old timer and maybe the judges were just scared not to give her the ribbons. who know, all I know is that we are all very proud of you!!!:)

Hi All-

I must chime in here. A day with Myrna, if not a week, is amazing. She is so upbeat, laid-back, and just plain fun. Not to mention creative, knowledgeable, and willing to get her hands in there and "Just Do It."

As a "newbie," taking her classes was so inspirational. I know I have a lot to learn, but the classes she offers give you the confidence to say, "I can do this!"

If anyone has a chance to take one of her classes, I'd highly recommend one or all if possible.

Hey Myrna- if you're looking to come back to Co. Springs, I'd love to host you in my studio. (hint, hint!)

Laura Farnham

Co. Springs, Co.

Gr. Millennium

Archived