Home made portable ironing board

I've been paper piecing and have been pressing the pieces on an Omnigrid 7-1/2" ironing/cutting board that was placed on a TV tray beside my sewing table. I found the pressing surface to be too small so this morning DH and I made a pressing surface out of the entire wooden TV tray. We used two layers of batting, a layer of Insul Bright and topped it with heat resistant fabric. DH stapled all layers to the back of the TV tray and it is working out perfectly! A person could do this with a cutting mat, also, just by gluing the mat to the TV tray. This will be handy to take to classes or retreats.

post--13461905196761_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Have you seen Sharon Shambers video on the homemade ironing board? I used this method and absolutely love the results of my pressed seams.

She recommends OSB board as it holds up to the steam and doesn't swell like wood or plywood can. She then puts 1 layer of cotton (it has to be cotton) batting on the board. Then uses canvas to cover the board.

The canvas grabs your fabric so it won't slide. The thin layers give ou a very stable surface to press on and you don't get any distortion like you do with thicker ironing surfaces. My pressed seams come out so crisp and neat and no distortion to any of the pieces.

I'm not sure where to find the video anymore, this was passed around a few years ago. you could probably google it.

Archived