Quilting retreat ..Mansfield, Ohio, Featuring... Sue Patten, Jamie Wallen, DeLoa JOnes, Jodie Robinson, Jessica Jones

DeLoa Jones is an avid quilter of 25+ years. She has been teaching 23 years and enjoys teaching all aspects of the quilting process. Before becoming a longarm quilter seven years ago, she hand-quilted professionally. What DeLoa loves about machine quilting is the way she can expand on the quilting designs because of the speed of the machine. DeLoa has a machine quilting business that she operates from her home and has completed about 2100 quilts for her customers. Four years ago DeLoa and her husband David Jones became representatives for American Professional Quilting Systems. DeLoa has been sharing her knowledge of free motion designs and experience with her students for the past three years. Along with her national teaching she has won awards at the Machine Quilting Society show, Quilting on the Waterfront, along with several others for her quilting. DeLoa is the author of Scraps, Organized to Perfection and is in the process of producing a series of machine quilting books based on her free motion classes. DeLoa is the mother of 8 children and resides in South Haven, MI with her husband and 4 younger children.

JESSICA JONES

Full time professional long arm quilter and instructor has been running a successful quilting business for the past four years from here studio in Detroit Michigan. She has been trained in many artistic venues such as art, photography and quilting. As the daughter of DeLoa Jones she has aquired many skills and keen insights into cutomizings quilts to bring out their hidden beauty to make them long lasting treasures for years to come. Jessica has been training and teaching nationally for the past three years with many delighted students. Her classes bring a fresh perspectives with a modern twist.

Jamie Wallen

Jamie entered the Quilting Community with a background in Fine Arts. After a long arm purchase in the late nineties he began to develop his own style of quilting, During this time he developed a large and loyal community of piecers Throughout the US that "Wanted him to put his unique style of work on their quilts". Eventually, he began mentoring new quilters in his area that, as he say's "would get together and troubleshoot where we need to improve as quilters". Then in the early 2000's he went through a period of "Quilting Burnout'. It was during this period that he met and became friends with Nichole Webb. They collaborated and released the book "No Boundaries" which includes Jamie's TM design "Flurry Of Angels". In 2004 Jamie began teaching workshops and classes throughout the US singly and with Nichole Webb. In 2005 Jamie began "Heading back To his Roots of Fine Art "WITH" the long arm". He has developed a new series of quilting technique's he calls "Thread fusion" , and continues to teach nationally. In October 2005, Jamie's Thread fusion series will be available in print. 2005 also brought Jamie into a new Studio where he works and teaches workshops in Kalamazoo Michigan. Jamie is presently also collaborating with Fine Artist Patrick Whalen on original hand dyed artist's cloth for long arm quilters use in artist's whole cloths. As Jamie say's "I've found my home in the quilting community , and I'm going to explore 'every' room".

Jodi Robinson

Jodi is nationally know for her award winning quilts. Anyone that has seen Jodi?s work knows that her innovative contemporary designs gives the traditional quilt a real boost. She is author of many books with her unique designs. Jodi?s friendly, easy style makes her a popular teacher throughout the United States.

Sue Patten

Sue is a quilt and thread artist. Her passion for Long arm Quilting has resulted in her owning a Nolting, APQS and Gammill so that she could set up a long arm classroom in her studio. Sue?s innovative approach to quilting has won her praise and her customer?s awards in shows across North America and has graced the cover of books and patterns. Sue is presently a representative for APQS and resides in Canada with her three children.

Oct 16 Monday

Oct 16-19 Calendar of Events

Set up and arrivals anytime after 1:00pm

Meals will not be served this day but there are plenty of restaurants close by

Oct 17 Tuesday

Breakfast 8:00 am

Classes start 9:00 am

Let?s Doodle ????Jessica Jones

Progressive Feathers?DeLoa Jones

Thread Fusion??..?Jamie Wallen

Lunch 12:00 pm

Classes resume 1:00 ? 4:00

Let?s Doodle????..Jessica Jones

Progressive Feathers?..DeLoa Jones

Thread Art Extreme ?..Sue Patten

Dinner 5:00 pm

Show and Tell 7:00 pm

Oct 18 Wednesday

Breakfast 8:00am

Classes start 9:00 am

All Out Block Party?Sue Patten

Brilliant Borders 2?..DeLoa Jones

Brilliant Borders 1 ?.Jessica Jones

Classes resume 1:00- 4:00pm

All Out Block Party?.Sue Patten

Brilliant Borders 2??DeLoa Jones

Quilt to Fill?????Jodi Robinson

Dinner 5:00 pm

Maintenance Class 7:00-9:00

Oct 19 Thursday

Breakfast 8:00

Classes start 9:00

Longarm Play ???Jodi Robinson

Mystical Cotton Tracks?Jamie Wallen

Blocks, Blocks,Blocks?.DeLoa Jones

Classes resume 1:00 ? 4:00

Longarm Play???.Jodi Robinson

Mystical Cotton Tracks?Jamie Wallen

Freemotion edge to edge and borders?.Sue Patten

Evening Events

Tuesday 7:00

Show and Tell

I look forward to show and tell and not only for the cheesecake. This is how it works. Everyone brings one item quilted and one item unquilted. This way we can ooh and aah over what you have done but then everyone can give quilting ideas for the unquilted items. This is a wonderful idea session as well as just plain eye candy that you won?t want to miss.

Wednesday, 7:00

Maintenance class (APQS MACHINE OWNERS) $50.00

Two-hour class on adjusting, cleaning, and servicing your APQS machine. Includes maintenance manual, as much time as needed will be spent to answer all your questions after the presentation. Sure to be fun and enlightening for all.

It?s time to think about coming to camp again!!! We have 5 teachers this year with two hands on classes and a demo class happening all at the same time! We have expanded and we are very excited about it. Take time to look at the teacher bios and what they are teaching. We have tried to give a good variety in skill levels and techniques.

We can accommodate more quilters this year but our classes are still limited. I have 4 longarms in each hands on class and 1 in the demo class. I don?t want more than 3 people per machine so I am limiting the classes to 12 people each.

To reserve your spot you will need to send a deposit of $100 (payable to Jessica Jones)

to :

Jessica Jones

41995 King Edward Court

Clinton Twp, Mi 48038

The deposit is non-refundable 30 days before the retreat.

Jessica Jones

Let?s Doodle Stipplings, Textures and All overs ( beginner and all levels)

This is a great beginners class as well as for those that are looking for new designs. You will learn about 25 designs that are versatile enough to use as stipplings, textures or all overs depending on the size of the design. Also many ideas on how and when to use these designs. 6 hour hands on class.

Brilliant Borders and Spectacular Sashings 1(beginner)

Here are 25+ designs that you can quilt in your borders and sashings that are all freemotion. I?m going to show you how to dramatically reduce the time you spend quilting your borders and sashings while teaching you all my tricks and tips for working your designs around the corners and progressing on down your side borders and ease. I?ll also give you some pointers on correct placement and spacing of your border and sashing designs to make them work anywhere! 3 hour demo class.

Sue Patten

All Out Block Party

With designs that can be used for everything from a nine patch to a wedding chain. And much much more. We will cover the block with pattern and background filler, then create the perfect pattern for that two inch sashing and of course we will also discuss borders, large open blocks, how batting affects the finished quilt and oh yes a multitude of thread choices. If there is time at the end of class I will have a trunk show of quilts that have been done using the designs learned in class. Please feel free to bring your cameras. 6 hour hands on class.

Thread Art Extreme

If you have ever had the desire to do a little thread play but just weren?t sure where to begin, this is your chance to come out and see just how simply fun it can be. As easy as one , two, three. We will start with a basic outline and work our way straight through to full full designs using solid and variegated colors. We will explore the impact of different types of threads and learn how to curve and shape our designs as stitch by numbers..1,2,3,to complete one of a kind works of art. Bring your box of pencil crayons to fill in your handouts and together we will map out a no fail plan to success. There will be a small trunk show at the end of class so please fell free to bring your camers. 3 hour demo

Free Motion Edge to Edge and borders

Imagine if you will completing that next clients quilt in less time than you ever thought possible. This class will teach you how to free form your edge to edge quilts without the use of patterns, math and marking tools. This is not a stars and loops class. We will create feathers, vines and swills using a three step methods. We will discover how quick and easy it can be to create beautiful one of a kind designs that dance across your quilts. We will continue borders without turning the quilt and learn how to glide around the corners with confidence. We will discuss thread choices and the effect of different lofts of batting. Come join in the fun as we glide our way across the quilt. 3 hour demo

Jamie Wallen

Mystical Cottontracks: Extending Boundaries in our Freehand Quilting (any level)

In this class we are going to hit the cotton quilting ?freehand style?. Jamie will cover his original allover designs for edge to edge, including ?Flurry of Angels? (and its variations),Hearts Take Flight, Scrollwork, and many others. We will then take these designs to the High-End custom quilting level with related block and sashing designs. 6 hour hands on class

Threadfusion 1: Artistic Delights for Every Quilter(any level)

Come prepared to experience and learn a mouth watering array of techniques and designs that will make your projects sing. In this class we will uncover exciting new textures and apply them to new set-ins, sashings and borders. Participants will also learn outrageous fillers to showcase these unearthly delights. Come experience the concepts of ?Threadfusion!? 3 hour demo

Jodi Robinson

Quilt to Fill (Beginner)

This class is designed to help anyone who has been hesitant to begin doing freehand quilting. Because the ?Quilt to Fill? method gives you some marked boundaries to stay within, it is an excellent start for anyone who has been reluctant to break into freehand designs. I will quilt a sampler in class which will cover blocks, borders, and setting triangles. The finished sampler will be a door prize. 3 hour demo class.

Longarm Play Date (Intermediate/Any)

In this hands-on class, we will do exactly what the title says? PLAY! This class is designed to boost your creativity. We will use fabric markers and links to create the easiest faux appliqu?, shadow appliqu?, and shadow trapunto ever. Then.. we will throw in some sheer layers, couched fibers, and even a little felt. Come prepared to play and I?ll bring the toys. This class is sure to get your creative juices flowing! (The actual stitching is not difficult, so anyone who is confident in doing freehand work would be fine taking this class.)

DeLoa Jones

Progressive Feathers ( all levels)

If you love the traditional look of feathers in your quilting, this class is a must! I call this class ?Progressive Feathers? because we will begin with a very basic feather and work our way through to customizing our feathers for corners, triangles, wreaths, hearts, swags and other odd shapes. We begin by marking our spine and the rest is all freehand.

6hour hands on class

Brilliant Borders and Spectacular Sashings 2 (ntermediate)

If you are ready to move on to some more complicated border designs then you are in for a treat. Again we will explore about 25 designs that are all freemotion, to use on your quilts and delight your customers. No turning a quilt to finish your borders. I will show you how to continue them around your quilt.. 6 hour hands on class

Block by Block by Block (all levels)

I?m pleased to present this class inspired by my new book, ?Quilting It up a Notch, Continuous Curve.? Together we will explore a variety of ways to quilt a block, beginning with ?stitching in the ditch? and partying all the way through to ?continuous curve.? We will endeavor to ensure that every block has its? own unique design. We?ll spice it up by adding other odd shapes in addition to loops and teardrops. To wrap up, we might add some lines and/or cut some lines just to keep things interesting and fresh. The overall object of our ?party is to discover and practice numerous designs for our blocks with only ONE stop and start! We will incorporate some of my new and exciting design ideas with concepts from my book. 3 hour demo class.

I have tried to break down the fees so that everyone can be accommodated for your different schedules. So you can attend 1 or 3 days or stay at the camp or not. If you have any questions or have special food requirements please let me know.

All accommodations are for double occupancy if you would require a single room then there will be an added charge. I will talk to you individually if this is the case. You may request a certain person to be your room mate. If no requests are made then we will assign you to a room.

One overnight (includes 2 meals) $60.50

Two overnights (includes 5 meals) $129.00

Three overnights (includes 8 meals) $169.00

Daytime fee (includes 1 meal, and use of facility) $25.00

Class fees

6 hour hands on class $150.00

3 hour demo class??$ 50.00

DATE

OCTOBER 16-19 2006

FOR INFORMATION CALL

DELOA AT 269-639-2123

JESSICA AT 248-866-9482