Favorite book for the beginner longarmer

I use Linda Taylor's book " The Ultimate Guide to Longarm quilting' a lot, and also Carol Thelen's book on longarming. At the beginning, I also used Mindy Caspersen's DVD which covers the basics on custom quilting like stitch in the ditch etc, plus a lot more. Futher down my quilting journey I got Myrna Ficken's DVD 'just do it ' which is about freehand quilting.

My advice would be to get one book and one DVD, devour them and go from there! ( Then every now and again, treat yourself to another, to build a stash of a different kind!)

I think Kimmy Brunner's was the greatest help to me. I did get Linda Taylor's book, but it was easier for me to learn when I saw Kim actually demonstrate what she was talking about. I also have the DVD I Have A Longarm and I'm Not Afraid To Use It, and that was a good one too.

I'm a newbie and watched Myrna's DVD over and over again probably 50 times. I learned so much from her DVD. She has everything you are asking about in that DVD. She also goes through the sample designs and walks you through setting it up (pantos) and changing and lining up the rows. It's a great instructional DVD for newbies.

Have fun quilting! Post your photos, I love seeing what everyone else is doing.

ALOHA!

Hi everyone

Just a reminder when buying books written by owners who use different brands of machine. I visited a customer this week to service her machine. it was in imaculate condition! However she had been over-oiling the wicks because she had followed the instructions in her favourite longarm quilting book, rather than the instructions in the APQS manual.

No harm done in this instance, just excess oil running down the needle which could have dropped onto quilts and extra time oiling when its not needed.

My first longarm instructional book was by Linda Taylor and it is a great tool.

sue in australia

Archived