Shipping a Millie and 14 ft table

You will easily find a freight shipper, but I don't imagine they will dis-assemble and pack it for you.:( You may be able to ship anything that is small enough by FedEx or UPS, but the rails and tabletop will need a freight carrier. You may not want to split the shipment and just go with a freight company for all.

If you don't have the original box for the head, you may purchase one from APQS. The rails can go as is. The bits and pieces, carriage, table top, legs, power advance, all extras will need to be boxed. Perhaps call a moving company for a recommendation. They will pack for a charge, but usually only if you are shipping with them as well.

Perhaps your seller is close enough to help with dis-assembly just for the practice? I suppose not, if you need to ship it all.

Call APQS tomorrow for some advice--they are very helpful.

Good luck with your sale.

I bought a machine in FL, and needed it delivered to me in TX. I went on line to a site called U-SHIP, You list your your shipment, and shippers bid on the job. There are several levels of service offered from dock to dock freight to "white glove" which involves dis-assembly and packing door to door. It was a great experience. My shipper kept me advised. Helped the seller take it apart, overlooked an error in the listing (seller told me it was 10', when it really was 12") rented a truck to haul it in since the 12' unit would not fit in his van that would have held the 10" unit. It cost me $555, more than I'd like to have paid, but a bargain for the service I received. A really easy way to get something moved for you. You just have to be patient about how long it takes. The shippers are mostly small, and like to have several items to pick up and deliver to make the trip worth while. Good luck. Jim

I have shipped a Liberty with a 12 foot table. You can call APQS and they will give you the weight of each box when it is packed by them. You'll have a weight to go by. I shipped mine UPS freight. I brought it down to the UPS store. It took me several trips with a toyota Prius. The rail boxes hung out the back of the car, but I didn't have far to go. The only thing I couldn't get in my car were the legs in the box. My neighbor took them down for me in their SUV. We bundled the rail boxes together so they would go as one unit. The fewer the boxes the better that is why it is good to save the original crating cartons.

I took the machine apart, packed it in the original boxes and packing materials. The machine is not hard to dis-assemble, it just takes time.

I would definitely get a carton from APQS for the machine head if you didn't keep yours. That is the most expensive part to replace. Don't forget to insure your shipment and confirm that the buyer will pay for that insurance or add it to the cost of shipping.

I am in Lancaster Pennsylvania: machine is in Maine. GREAT IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS!!! Thank you so much. Planning on going up MLK weekend with a rental truck to haul back. APQS was wonderful for providing weights, length, number of pieces, etc, but suggested that I just have shipped, given cost of gas and the fact that it is a 600 + trip - one way. BUT THERE'S A STASH INVOLVED!!! Seller has a couple of Pfaff's that he's also trying to sell. Need I say more? Everyone has just been wonderful. National Truck/car Rental company had unlimited mileage on a 15 foot cutaway truck ?!?!?!?! Friend said she had horrible experience with them after I had already made reservations. House is 5 miles back a gravel road. So keep your fingers crossed for good weather, safe travels and wonderful time road tripping with my quilting mentor to pick up a 'new to me' Millie!;)

Archived