Doorway/arch width

Lauras

I am planning on replacing an existing door with an arch so I can fit my 14 foot Millie in the two rooms. Half in my son's former bedroom, and half in another room. How wide should the arch be to give me a comfortable working space? I asked my long suffering father in law for permission to do this (it's his house), and he smiled and said "No problem. Just leave the four outside walls intact." I love taking out walls.:P

Great idea, except... this is probably a supporting wall, and the other room is the living room. I'd like to hide some sewing stuff behind the arch. Most of our visiting seems to happen at the diningroom table. Good thing, because the living room is about to become a lot cozier. :D

Talk to someone who does remodeling to make sure you are not taking out the supporting wall as Lauras above have mentioned. If it is a supporting wall...remove as much as you can...you'll be glad you did. Remember you must add to the table width the distance the machine will come back at the back of the machine...room to stand...and room in the front of the machine for pinning on quilts.

Have fun with the demolition.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA:)

Hi Lauras::)

I just ran down & measured my space, it's just under 8' wide. Now I'm a size 16/18 gal, with hips that carried 10lb. babies, if my space was any smaller I would have problem's. ;)

Try & get as big an arch as you can, & don't go under 8 feet.

Girl you have a great FIL.

Hello

I have a very tight space for my Milli also. I just measured and I agree that you need to have at least 8 feet. A bit more would be great. I do have to push my machine back and forthe depending on whether I'm working from the front or the back but that works ok. I have the gliders under the feet, no wheels.

Got to head off to work.

have a nice day all

Tamara

• 2 months later...

Archived