Should I do this NOW???

Farmland Quilter

I just started my long arm business 6 months ago. I like doing Pantographs but have not progressed to doing much freehand work. I haven't paid off anything on my Millenium yet but the bank is being very open about a second loan ( I think). Would you with all your experience recommend adding IQ at this time or do you think I should progress in my other skills first? I have already added the Bliss system and I LOVE IT. I'm also in the process of putting together a website. So I probably wouldn't do anything for 6 months or so. The website etc. will be enough of a learning curve for a while. By the way I am very computer literate and love designing and drawing and will be 61 years old this year. Too Old For All This ??? My husband is very involved and we're looking at this as a retirement business.

You are never too old for anything! :) Have fun!!

Regarding taking out another loan to buy the IQ, well, you could do that. But, perhaps before diving in head first, here are my thoughts:

Give yourself at least a year to get your basic tools needed, a good supply of thread varieties, your skills, your practice and your confidence built up, some practical training under your belt, and establish a solid reputation and customer base. Starting up a business is very expensive. After you give yourself a year or two to do this, and you start proving to the bank that you are good at making your loan payments, then you can take another leap to buy the IQ. I think having the freehand skills will really be a solid foundation for quilting. Don't just rely on a computer to do all of the work for you.

Me personally? I have had my business for three years now. I paid off my machine after year 2. I have been socking away money in the bank with all of my incoming revenue from customers. My next step down the road (maybe in 6 months to a year) I might buy a computer system or a different tool like Quiltazoid? I am not sure if I will... either one. I am still taking it slow and enjoying the pantos and freehand and ruler work. Since paying off my machine, I have enough $$ saved now to buy the computer system but I'm not in a giant rush to do it. I want my business to show a profit, and that I look like a viable business to the IRS. I prefer to buy my things "cash on the barrel" as they used to say, rather than take out a loan or max out a credit card. Just my humble opinion. I prefer to stay out of "debt" as much as possible.

If you have questions about growing your business or making some decisions, talk to a professional like a CPA and also someone at your Small Business Development Center (or SCORE) most communities have this. It's free or low cost.

Best wishes and have fun!

PS: I am 48 and plan on making this my retirment business (it's part time right now)

Hi Cheryl,

Congratulations on taking the leap and starting your business. Since you are asking for advice, here's mine... I think I would wait before adding an IQ. Get to know your machine. You have a sizable (I imagine) payment on the Milli, do you want to add the payment for the IQ not knowing how steady your business may be? My business is 5 years old and this is the first year I haven't had a major drop in business for January & February. Check with your state extension service. They probably have some business coaches who can help you do the numbers to see exactly what your cost vs benefit can be for new equipment.

I will say I do not have anything computerized on my machine, not even a stitch regulator, so maybe it's a slightly skewed opinion.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

I will add my thoughts--they fall out of my mouth anyway so I might as well write them down!!

If you do not have health problems that preclude you from standing for some periods of time, I suggest holding off on the computerized system for a bit.

You may fall in love with freehand/custom and never look back. Or you may build your business on your panto abilities or great and graceful overall designs. I say, take baby steps now and see what your area needs for quilters and also where your heart lies as to artistic expression. A CG system is a tool, just like a ruler. After you get your feet wet, you will have a better overview of the market and your skills--and whether you need a CG system.

I bought my machine in 2004, started a business in 2005, paid off the initial investment in about 2 1/2 years and just added the Bliss.

If you have the Bliss system, you owe it to yourself to perfect your freehand--it is a great help.

I just turned 60 and always thought of this to augment our retirement funds. And yes, I believe there is a CG system in my future.

So nice to meet you and welcome to the family!

I have the IQ and love it. However, I agree with the others.

I think there's a great advantage to holding off buying the computer which would put you another 11,000 in debt then there's the price of the designs you will buy. The IQ comes with a ton of designs but for some reason, the right one just isn't there. Designs usually cost 15.00 and up.

I recommend that you get to know your machine for at least 6-12 months. Play with different tensions, threads etc. You really need to learn freehand also, sometimes you just have to "tweek" a quilt that you've done with the computer. There's lots of great aids out there besides a computer, the quiltazoid, topper and circle lord are super tools. I really feel that I'm a better computer quilter and understand a lot of techniques better because I waited for about a year to get my IQ. Have fun and play a lot.

Thank You all for your wise advise. I heard that there are several people doing long arm with a Statler Stitcher locally and was afraid I could not compete.

I do have fibromyalgia but am following a treatment plan that is improving my health instead of deteriorating. I like doing the pantos and just need the courage and time to practice freehand.

Hi Cheryl.

I do not have a computer on my machine but would offer the same advice as above. Because quilting for others is still new to you, I'd suggest you continue to learn and grow your skills before making another investment. It keeps the pressure off and lets you enjoy the work rather than feeling rushed to pay off another loan! Leslie is right, it takes a long time to build a steady business. What happens if it slows for a few months and you have two good size payments with no phone calls from customers??

Best of luck!

Sing it - no debt, no debt, no debt. Learn your machine first Grasshopper. It's always good to have as much skill level as possible. Since you don't currently have the cash, then take the time to build your skills. Good luck.

Congratulations Shana and Linda on paying your machines off in 2.5 years. I wondered what could be the industry standard. You two set a fine example.

Vicki

I bought the Circle Lord to be able to make nice feather wreaths easily. It took so much pressure off me when quilting for customers! The Circle Lord is a much smaller investment than the computer, and has lots of gadgets to make motifs that are fabulous. Check out the lessons by Deb Levi on MQR (http://www.mqresource.com/home, go to University). They're inexpensive and so helpful.

I started my business a little over a year ago. I'm quilting for friends, word of mouth only. Not really interested in growing a business. So I don't expect to make a profit for quite some time. I do not have a computer for Millie. Maybe some day in the distant future...

Archived