So strange to say "No"...

I just got off the phone with a very nice woman who wanted some simple quilting around a medallion, which she wanted to hand quilt. When can she bring it over?

I asked if she was on my schedule and she was shocked to hear she would need to wait until May for a spot--but congratulated me that I was so busy. Didn't I say she was nice?:)

Anyway, she asked since the quilting was so simple, could I squeeze hers in earlier? See the header above!:cool:

I, without guilt or greed in my heart, said "No". It was easy. Really. I can't believe it! Plus, I steered her to another quilter with a computerized system who can probably turn it around by the end of the month. What's happening to me?!!!!!!:o

:P:P:P:P:P

Linda, all I could think of was how awesome for you to be booked that far out, it just shows what a respected and fab quilter you are!!! My second thought was I"m sure glad some of those great quilters have learned to say "no' 'cuz it gives us beginners customers we would normally not hear from. I love to see yours and everyone's quilting, thanks for the posts shared so freely with us all.

I related this story to Dennis and he asked, "So, is it still fun?" I said-- more fun than you can imagine! He wisely said that is the key--when it's not fun anymore, it's time to stop.

All it takes is extra pressure, whether self-inflicted or from outside, to suck the fun out. I guess I am in a good place now--learning to say no is very liberating!!! :P

Hi and welcome!

I schedule 8 quilts per month. This is not a full-time job for me as I work a day job 25 hours per week.

I guess the answer comes from experience--I know a custom quilt will be on the frame for perhaps a week, so if I have one spot left in March and it's a custom quilt, I only take in 7 for the rest of April and push the custom into the first of April. Overalls can be such good money-makers and can be done in several hours as opposed to several days.

This month I had one custom, three at 2 1/2 cents an inch (semi-custom) , two overalls, and one monster Tee-shirt quilt that almost didn't fit on the frame. The custom is done, two overalls are done, and the monster is done. I have 16 days to do two more semi's and one overall--which is loaded. I should have some month left after I finish!

Sometimes the month and the quilts come out together! Sometimes I "deadline" myself into a corner! I always ask at intake if the quilt is a gift and what their deadline is so I can pick and choose which I will do when. It gives me a false feeling of control!:D

I will tell you not to take in quilts until the month before if you can manage it. I call all my February customers the first week of January to touch base, remind them what they need to bring, and set up an intake appointment. Sometimes the quilt is not yet finished, but they have four weeks to get it ready. If they can't get it done in time, we negotiate a new spot--perhaps I can nudge a March quilt into their spot and they are pushed back a month. Or maybe they can't bring it at all. Then I have some who would love to move up on the list--so far it has all worked out well.

If I have some "month" left at the end of the quilts, I try to do some piecing for myself or quilting for my prolific-piecer sister. And, yes, it is a rare day when I don't quilt at all.

When you start taking in customer quilts, be as realistic as you can as far as turn-around. Respect your customer and work as a team--keep them in the loop. If you say it will be finished in three weeks and it becomes impossible to keep that promise--call them and let them know. All you need to say it that you underestimated and are hoping to finish their beautiful top by "whenever". Most people are very understanding--don't let them know your uncle is ill or you had to take a trip to visit relatives--just say stuff happens and you are sorry.

It takes discipline and a firm resolve to run your own business. And an occasional play-day for yourself is a great reward for sticking to a plan.

:D

I am so glad I don't quilt as a business - even part time. I do a few customer quilts now and then and that's plenty for me. I want to have time to do my own quilting as well as piecing. The last 10 days I have been nursing a cold/cough and haven't done any sewing to speak of and NO quilting on the LA. I am so glad I don't have customer quilts sitting there waiting for me to get done. I helped a friend out JUST before Christmas and quilted 2 customer quilts for her because she was injured and couldn't get them done. I had 2 semi-custom quilts to get done by 12/15. I worked non stop to get them done in time and hated it. It wasn't fun any more. I so agree with Linda's Dennis.......when it stops being FUN, then I don't want to do it any more. Now that I am feeling better and back to piecing, it is fun again and I am already thinking of how I will quilt this project that I am working on now.:P:P:P:P:P

My system is very similar to Linda's but I only plan for 4 quilts in a month or 1 a week. If they are simple e2e I usually have a little time left over for me and if they are custom they can take up to 2 weeks to finish depending on how much quilting there is and what my day schedule looks like. I work full time, have my MIL living with us and take care of my niece on the weekend so I don't always get as much done as I'd like. I keep a wait list and call them a week before they are up. Sometimes I'll call 2 or 3 weeks ahead if I don't know them or haven't quilted for them before. I can usually juggle people around if I need to.

• 6 months later...

I would like to think Linda and Heidi for explaining the way they run thier bussiness. That makes a lot of sense and I am not able to quilt as much as I would like because I don't have my baby at home I have to leave him at my mom's for now, until I can get a building to bring him home to. I have struggled with how to get things done and have time for my growing pile of tops. I would like to be able to enjoy my quilts too.

Good information, Linda! And, saying 'no' also means you are being nice by giving another longarmer some business. I appreciate learning how you handle your schedule. Once I got better at quilting, my schedule was socked in with all custom jobs and I became bogged down. Now I have two simultaneous schedules -- one for custom and one for easier jobs. I find the mix keeps my quilting mind fresher and I make more money.

Heidi and Linda, love your input on how handle schedules. I used to quilt full time and have been doing customer quilts sporadically for the past couple of years since I went back to work full time. I haven't pushed it much as I was remodeling my studio in my new house and had some family issues happening. I'm just starting to build back into quilting more etc.

I also work full time, live alone (most of the time) my DD is here for awhile at the moment, so have all the maint, yard work etc, and lots of family things as I have 7 active grandchidren who are now nearby. I'm trying to come to a sane way to schedule quilts and still do other things.

Guest Linda S

Good for you! By the way, just because they have a computer doesn't necessarily mean they can squeeze it in any earlier. Most of us schedule by what we think we can get done, no matter how fast or slow our machines are!

Good for you Linda ....

A thought came to my mind while reading your note above and that was, years ago while taking a class from Nichole Webb, she had this saying that was so very true"I'M NOT A MONKEY WITH A MACHINE" ...

It's worth repeating and sharing with you all too.... :-)

Just a note here--the original post was in January of this year and at that time I was booked into May. I am not booked until next May (2012). Curiously, I got an email from someone accusing me a being a liar! No way could I be "booked that far into next year". Get a grip, people, and read the whole thread before you hit "send". Where is the smilie with the tongue sticking out?;)

And let me add, I wholeheartedly agree with Linda B--the CG systems have their own learning curve and are just as challenging to quilt with as freehand.

Archived