Groz-Beckert - can we use this needle?

A friend can get these needles for me and most of the numbers on the package match the ones on the package of GB needles that I got from APQS, but a couple are different and I want to check before ordering. The numbers that are different are at the bottom, 339.200.AD43 FFG. They are still MR so I think they are OK, but I don't understand what the different numbers indicate. Thanks!

post--13461905359599_thumb.jpg

I use them all the time, but they are the only needles I have. I believe I get them from Superior Threads. What you may find is that alternating between brands may not work as some needles are slighly longer or something and you have to retime. When I retimed my machine due to a boo boo, I used these needles, so I don't know if you will need to or not. I say take one and try it very slowly so you don't screw anything up. If you don't need to retime, you are good to go.

Shirley

These are the same needles I have been using alll the numbers are the same except the bottom row.

I think I read somewhere that this bottom row of numbers is the equivalent of a barcode, distinguishing different sizes, titanium etc to the manufacturer.

Itis the 134 SAN 11 or 134MR that are the important numbers

Lyn

I've looked at Dawn's Quilt Talk and it appears the needles that I want to purchase meet the APQS requirements since they are 1955 MR / DPx5. Just trying to find out if the numbers at the bottom of the package that don't match the GB needles furnished by APQS are significant and if it makes a difference.

• 2 months later...

I also got the gold titanium needles by accident when ordering from Superior. Thankfully only 1 pkg in 3.5. I plan on using them carefully on lighter weight things so I don't have to worry a out hitting a thick seam and breaking one off that I can't get out.

Question where or what numbers on the pkg indicate Titanium when ordering needles?

Hi everyone,

let me share a little insight about the needles. APQS machines are hand timed, one by one by a human eye. The Titanium (gold) needles MAY work just fine. The titanium makes the needle tip very strong for longer life. However, it also gives the needle extra rigidity closest to the tip where it has been dipped more than once in the titanium. The weakest part of the needle is then higher up where less coating exists. Titanium needles tend to break higher and cause more damage when they do break.

I communicated with an executive at Groz Beckert about the needles, who attests that the needles are nearly identical to the non-titanium needles APQS uses. He surmised that the reason some APQS owners can use the Titanium needles just fine while others have tension and needle breakage with them has to do with the human variance in the timing. We have chosen to use non-titanium needles for the machine to reduce the chance of hook damage if a needle would break--its hard surface can scar the hook.

We won't tell you that you can't use gold titanium needles. We just can't guarantee that they will work in every machine, just as we can't guarantee Organ needles or other brands. Hope this answers a few questions.

Thank you, Dawn! I know that some people have had success with, love and use the titanium needles, and others have had problems. I wanted to know if the needles that I have are titanium, which I guess they are since they are gold. I'm going to stick with the APQS needles.

Anyone want to buy this pack of GB titanium 4.0 needles?

When it says FFG at the bottom after the 339,200 number like the ones in the picture, it means they are ball-point. I have found they don't go through the fabric nearly as well and my stitches aren't as nice. I have also discovered that the companies who sell them don't generally know that there's a difference between the needles that say FFG, R, and RG. APQS is the only place I have found that sells the R. R means sharp, RG is not as sharp as the R, but not a ball-point either. It's supposed to be stronger and wear down slower, but that may not necessarily be a good thing. I have not tried an RG.

That's about all I know.

Jess

Here's a Link to a PDF from Groz-Beckert that may help you understand why we choose MR needles. The 1955-01 needles are the correct size for the APQS machines.

Groz Beckert PDF about MR Needles

And here's a link to support what Jess has already reported--it shows the different "tip" designations of needles. If the document says the needles are available in "Gebedur" that's the titanium coating.

PDF Illustrating Needle Tips

Thanks, Dawn!! We should provide this information to new users, so that they can choose and use the needles that will provide them with the best APQS experience. It's not enough to just tell them to buy from APQS, 'cause they will eventually run into other suppliers, whether it's Superior Threads at a Quilt Show or someone else on the internet. Knowing WHY we use the needles we do, will help them make intelligent choices.

I am always intriqued by the titanium coated needles but always stay with the Singer MR needles. After seeing how a titanium needle can break and lodge in the hook, possibly causing damage and down time, I say go with the APQS recommendation to use Singer MR needles. After all we purchased APQS machines so we can enjoy quilting.

Barb, that's exactly what happened. I would tack on some needles to a purchase of thread or pantographs or something like that. The supplier would send me the MR needles and the package would say all the stuff I was told that it should say....like 1955 and San 11 and MR. I was never aware that it should say R as well. The supplier never mentioned the ball-point part and I never knew to ask. I'm glad I was eventually able to figure it out, but in the process there was a lot of frustration and wasted money on needles I can't use.

Jess