How to store Threads

I think you will find that you use those threads faster than you thought possible! ;)

In the mean time, put the spools in plastic baggies, prefferably in a dark place. I like to date them with stickers, so I know the age too. :)

I got some thread from the lady I bought my machine from. They were partial spools of Maxilock, Aerofil??, etc. Some of them may have been 10 years old, that's how long she had the machine, and I still use some of them. They haven't ever been in baggies. Should they be?? What does that do for the thread?

You won't find an actual date stamp on thread like you do milk or cottage cheese, but yes thread does have a shelf life. The bad part is that you don't know how long it was in a warehouse before shipping to a store or how long the store had it before you bought it.

You can get away with a longer shelf life if you properly

store the thread in a place where the sun does not directly hit it (a dark place as Linda said is best) like behind a cupboard door. Plastic bags works well if you are in a high humdity area...those that live in the desert like Nevada don't need that step, it stays dry and your don't get much rot there. I have spools that are a couple of years old that I brought with me and these will have to be THROWN AWAY....didn't get them bagged fast enough and the humdity got to them before I could get them unpacked....oh, well.

If your thread can withstand the pull test then its okay, but if it snaps with just a gentle tug, throw it away....its not worth the hassle and the money for "Sewers Aid"....no amount will help it. Our machines are way to powerful and if its starting to turn, just throw it away. HOWEVER, if its a large large king cone....sometimes you can get down a few layers and it will be okay....so play a bit before you toss the item.

Also some people swear that by putting thread in the freezer for a few hours helps with dryness.....haven't ever tried it, but I do know that when I lived in the desert I would sometimes spray it with a bit of water and then apply "Sewers Aid" and it would be all better, so I guess its what works for each of us...and for those of us that have 10 year old thread, just try it before you hassle with the fighting of thread tensions and thread breakage...its just not worth the hassle.

I was wondering why the plastic bags also, but if it is just to keep them from rotting from the humidity then we won't have a problem up here in central BC. Our air is so dry that we have a problem with static causing the thread to want to stick to us as we pull it off the spool, or when we cut our threads they just don't want to fall into the garbage, almost get a sprained wrist flicking them! lol Sometimes I use my "older thread" and practice doodling on my regular sewing machine. :o I have also bought a new spool of thread and it has been no good right from day one, too bad we couldn't do the pull test in the store first.

Janet

Archived