Luvstoquilt

Hobbs Poly down batting

Have any of you used this batting? We are looking for some cheaper batting---than W & N--for all our charity quilting. I have an HQ16.

I once bought a whole roll of a recommended nightmare batting and had to freecycle it. I do NOT want to repeat that mistake. It was HUGELY puffy.

http://luvstoquilt.blogspot.com/

Quilting on my HQ16 since March 2009

I love Hobbs polydown batting!!! It handles nicely and quilts beautifully. I've never had a problem with it. I use it in my own quilts and those that I give as gifts. I'm the community quilts chair for my guild and the past chair purchased 2 rolls of polydown in December, which I inherited, and I am thrilled! When I buy poly for myself or the guild it will be Hobbs polydown.

I get my Hobbs batting from Lyn Heilman, Quilted Memories, http://www.quiltedmemoriesllc.com/ She is great to work with and charges actual shipping charges.

EF895DFA46EABF5DCB57E11F31E1DE91.png

Carmen in the Ozarks

I also recommend Hobbs Polydown. You get great stitch definition.

One thought though--if you are needing batting for charity quilts here is what our Guild learned--

If you are donating to hospitals, hospices, cancer treatment centers, preemie units or the like--you are usually limited to cotton batting, because of the high-heat washers and dryers used to sanitize these items. Our local hospital will only accept 100% cotton fabric and batting. Direct donations to individuals with health problems don't usually have such a restriction.

The other side of the coin is donations for homeless shelters, missions, Salvation army, etc--poly batting is a great choice for the warmth and durability. A quilt with poly batting will dry in less than half the time of one with cotton.

Geez--I sound like a school teacher! I thought I would share some tips--my Guild learned the hard way with preemie items. :P

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

After Hobbs 80/20, Hobbs Polydown is my favorite. But as an inexpensive alternative, our church quilting group (we do charity quilts) has used a thin polyester batting from Marshall Dry Goods in Batesville Arkansas. They make their own batting and you can't beat the price. Just be sure to tell them you want the thinnest they have because the first we got was horribly thick. They make several different thicknesses. I have always dealt with Sharon and she is very helpful. We don't do quilts for hospitals as mentioned in an earlier post but just mostly to individuals who have lost their home to fire or something similar.

Shelia

I use Hobbs Polydown all the time but normally by the bolt. I have had problems with the larger packaged Polydown melting in the dryer when fluffing. However, someone said it was due to it hanging in one place. I have used the packaged baby quilt batting and not had this problem.

Judy in MO

Like Hobbs polydown on the roll but not in the prepackaged bags. In the bags it's almost always distorted & uneven density even after fluffing it up or letting it drap over the rollers overnight. On the roll it's awesome!

Sue Schmieden of The Quilting Connection in Elkhorn, WI

is a distributor for Hobbs. Wholesale pricing with minimum purchases & excellent customer service. 715-723-6775 or www.longarmconnection.com

Jessica Schick

Digi-Tech Designs, llc

www.digitechpatterns.com ~Digital, Paper, & Embroidery Quilting patterns

~APQS, Quilt Path, & Intelliquilter Sales, Service, & Education

Thanks for all the kind words. Hobbs Polydown is a wonderful batting as it is siliconized and very fine fibers. For charity quilting, we do have resin bonded poly 48" and 96" wide that is still a quality batting but less expensive. I am happy to quote prices to anyone who needs the info. Also, Hobbs has a charity program that can save you even more- just e-mail sales@hobbsbondedfibers.com for more info. For those in KC area I have a few rolls of cotton charity batting available. You are welcome to call, e-mail, or U2U for more info.

lyn@quiltedmemoriesllc.com

913-492-8877

Lyn Heilman/ Official Hobbs Distributor

Overland Park , Ks

2006 Millenium

www.quiltedmemoriesllc.com

For charity quilts, our group uses the batting from JoAnn's Online.............Microsafe or the Kodel..........We get the Kodel in the 48" x 50 yard roll which is great for kid/baby quilts. The Microsafe comes in 100" x 25 yd rolls. Both are very nice AND you can use your 40 or 50% off coupons ! The Simplicity packaged batting is also very nice. I've used all of them for my own quilts as well as charity. I've never found this in the stores around here.

D7F6E8B831DDA5A10DA95B7BBCD5C9C7.png

APQS Millenium and Quiltazoid

Love Poly down lite!! Quilts great and I like how it drapes. You can also quilt up to 8" apart. Didn't know that it now comes in the 120" wide - that would be great - I need to get some of that!

Judi Olson

Garden City Quilting

Love my Millennium!!  :wub:

" ~ Aspire to Inspire before you Expire ~ "

Poly Down is a nice soft batting that quilts beautifully and has wonderful definition for your quilting. I also hesitate to use a poly on a quilt for a small child due to the breathability. POly Down is light weight but wonderfully warm. I always have a roll for my customers who like the pouf of poly batting and the fact that it does not shrink.

I'm planning on using it layered with either a bleached cotton or 80/20 on a thirty's quilt if I decide to do a faux trapunto for the quilting. I usually go for the old fashioned crinkly look on my own quilts so the poly doen't fit my look.

Lynn Heilman is here locally so it's easy to keep Hobbs in stock.

JUST QUILTING

APQS SALES & SERVICE

Fil-Tec / Glide Distributor