I don't know if anybody can help quickly. I did send an email APQS, but they did not get a chance yet to reply yet.

My hook bobbin area had some ratlling noise. After speaking with Dawn on the phone on the weekend, she suggested adjusting the collar (little black ring on the shaft) and she sent me instructions. I followed the instructions and the rattling went away - temporarily. After a bit of sewing, the noise was back. The collar seemed loose again - I can move it back and forth a bit and I can also turn the hook itself. The timing seems fine and my stitches seem fine.

The problem is, that I can tighten the collar screw, but it just doesn't seem to really want to tighten (I can keep turning and turning the screw). I'm afraid that I have stripped the little set in screw. At least I hope that it is the screw and not the collar. Until I hear back from APQS, does anyone happen to know the size of the screw I need? I don't really want to take it out to bring it to the hardware store - those darn little things are really hard to put back in!

I've also noticed that since my 'adjustment' I've had a bit of black grease on the shaft that I did not notice before.

I know there have been some posts recently about rattling noise, but I couldn't find one specifically about the hook collar.

Caroline,

It may seem extreme, but you might want to consider taking the hook assembly off the shaft, then loosening the hook collar and sliding it off the shaft. DO NOT SHIFT THE SHAFT DURING THIS MANEUVER! Then you can visually check to see if the set screw will tighten enough. You could also clean the shaft off (gently, without shifting it) with rubbing alcohol to remove the leaking gear box grease (probably what that black stuff is). It may be that the screw you've been tightening just can't tighten down on the "lubricated" shaft.

I'm hoping that Dawn or one of the other really experienced techies will chime in here - this would be step not taken lightly.

Actually, if your only issue is the rattling noise, it might be better to wait until you hear from APQS to take the next step....:o

If you shift the shaft, you might cause the gears to misalign within the gear box. Then, the first time you run it, the gears jam and your baby is making a trip to Iowa!

I was warned about this when I had to recess the shaft to replace a hopping foot - it's do-able, but be very cautious about any movement of the shaft forward and back. If it's snugged forward (so that the gears are properly meshed), then you can shift it around its axis.

Again, if it's just a noise issue for you, I would wait until Dawn or Amy are available tomorrow morning early. And, who knows, you might hear from Dawn by e-mail tonight or on the forum.

Good luck - and keep us posted about your progress!

Oh then, I think I better not play to much! Actually, I went back downstairs and tried tightening the screw again. I seemed to be able to tighten it this time with the other end of my allen wrench. I'm not going to quilt tonight though - but I did run it a bit and it seems to be holding. I think I will wait until I hear from Dawn or Christy.

This is me - wishful thinking! But I wiped away the black oil. Then I'll be able to see if it is really a leak or the effect of me over-oiling when I check it again tomorrow. (I got a bit zealous when the machine startined to make noice. :D)

I'm sure this will all work out. Thank you for your suggestions. I will mention them when I talk to APQS.

Hi Caroline,

I haven't forgotten about you! Amy was on vacation today so I couldn't pick her brain to verify the size of the set screw in the hook collar. But if I were a betting gal, since the size of the wrench for removing the set screw is a 3/32-inch allen wrench, the set screw should also be 3-32. You should be able to find it at a well-stocked hardware store.

I'm headed to the factory tomorrow and I'll double-check with Amy and send you an email:)

Thanks Dawn. I know you didn't forget me! I'm just a bit concerned running the machine (I'm still working on that poor customer quilt) while it is loose. However, I suppose if it has been loose for awhile a few more days won't matter! I said the same thing to DH - about the wrench size I mean. He didn't agree, even though it makes perfect sense to a logical gal...

I'll let you know tomorrow night when I start up again whether I got the screw tight this time.

That note about 'shifting the shaft' scared me a bit - so I'm keeping clear of that one unless absolutely necessary. One thing for sure, if my baby ever has to go to Iowa for a visit I'm tagging along for the ride! :P

• 4 years later...

Barb, the front to back seems to be fine. Nice and tight. Where I am getting the rattling is in the play of the black part shown in the first picture. It is quite loose and rattles like a machine gun when the machine is running.  It just started recently and I have not changed the timing or made any other adjustments except to clean my baby thoroughly. Ideas???

The "black piece" you're talking about must be the bobbin basket, the inner portion of the hook assembly.  Have you been cleaning and oiling as per your manual?  You'll get some rotational play in that piece, since it moves inside the outer hook, and if it's not oiled properly, it will indeed rattle.