Guild and or Bee

Dear Grammie,

The guild that I belong to is an "Anti-guild" guild. The founding members were not happy with the very structured "Roberts rules of order" type guilds that were already established. They didn't like having to make a motion and have it seconded, etc. and a lot of these type guilds have limited membership and strict rules. When they formed our guild it was with the idea that we would be very informal. I think that was about 7 years ago and we are still going strong with about 35-40 members. We meet in the back of a local quilt shop. We pay the owner $10 a month for the room (it's not much but then the members shop also). We don't have by-laws or a charter or any of that stuff. We do have officers - secretary, treasurer, etc. and we put out a newsletter every month. We charge members $10 a year for membership and with that $ and the money that we make from fund-raisers we will occasionally hire a guest speaker. This year, for the first time, we are putting on a quilt show at a local school.

As far as how it was established, the original members just decided to start their own guild, got a place to meet and then put some flyers in the quilt shop. Most of the members are there by word of mouth from other members. You can check out our website at www.slingerquiltguild.org

Thanks for the info. I'm looking into this. Plan on putting something together to start after the first of the year.

Teresa,

You don't need and excuse to come visit. Your always welcome. It won't be long and I'll be quilting fulltime so I might just come see you too. lolol

I love the state of Tenn. My husband has roots there and his Mom is buried in Turtletown.

Out guild in KC is great. Most member participate freely and we get a lot of input on classes and lectures, etc. About 2-3 years ago, I put out a call to see if any one was interested in a mini group. We also now meet 1x a month. It is great to see your friends 2x a month.

At first we rotated houses. We had some one help organize the dates and then send out directions and reminders. Now we meet at a local shop. And we have standardized our date to the 2nd tuesday (if you can come - come). There are only 5-6 of us. The conversation is lively and someone still brings treats!:D

Grammie,

When I lived in Utah, I belonged to a guild that had over 80 members. We also had little mini groups that met outside of the regular guild meetings. I was in one with the young moms who had small children at that time and we would meet in each others homes. Our big guild mtg was in a hall that I think they rented. The group I belong to now in Wisconsin is smaller but a lot of fun. I brought my daughter with me once and when she got home her little sister asked her what went on there. She summed it up very well when she said: "They talk a lot, laugh a lot, eat and shop" Sounds like a very successful meeting to me!

You know the quote, "Build it and they will come" - well, believe me just put an ad in a local newspaper or quilt shop, set a date & time and the quilters will come out of the woodwork! I have personally started 3 quilt clubs, in Plymouth, Indiana; Crossville, Tennessee; and now Osceola, Iowa. Every time we moved, I wanted the companionship of quilters so just took charge and found them. All three clubs are goind strong and I still get newsletters from TN and IN and lots of friendships. These clubs were always very non-structured except for president and treasurer; it's just more fun that way. Just do it and you will see how many will join you. Good Luck.

Archived