MQX 2011

DB

Just wondering who is planning on attending MQX this April. I would love to organize another get together dinner at a local restaurant or possibly have a barbeque at my home, depending on the weather. I just signed up for some classes so I hope to run into some of you.

Dianne

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Connie

I wasn't that impressed either, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that way. I kept wondering where are the rest of the quilts. Some of the vendors that were at MQX previously weren't there either. I do know of one new vendor from New York that will be there. I met him at a show in N.H. last fall, he had the most incredible fabrics. He will be my 1st stop. I don't think there is as much excitement about it on this site as in the past. Mostly I want to take a few classes with Deloa and one other instructor. Glad you liked the get together, I was so afraid it would turn out to be a disaster. I had a great time meeting everyone.

Heidi

I plan on attending the banquet. It's supposed to be better this year.

What classes are people taking?

Dianne

I have to agree with all last year was lacking. I'm just hoping it was a bad year and this year will be better. I think the other problem is that everything is the same and nothing that new and exciting. Hopefully we'll all be happily surprised this year. I hear the banquet speaker is good. I'm taking a machine applique class and one with Renae Haddidin. Other than that I'm just chilling. I'll volunteer as a teachers angel too.

Once you have visited a show several times and taken lots of classes as well, the bloom is off the rose, as they say. If you are looking for something new, it might not be there.

The logistics of these shows is staggering, swallowing up time, money, and brain cells! You can't price the vendor spaces too high, or you get no takers. Less dollars per square foot and then you need to add more spaces to reach your goal. If you have a zillion vendors, the money spent by visitors is spread around and means less revenue per vendor, so they are not excited to come back the next year. Just lining up vendors takes months, requires signing of contracts, money changing hands, and massive organization. That's just the vendors. Now double that by adding classes--contacting, signing up, and placing in rooms each instructor is another years worth of work. My hat's off to the organizers of these shows.

You see that Cindy Roth has had enough and is skipping this year for Innovations. Same complaints about this show as the complaints above. Not enough vendors, not enough quilts, same old teachers and same old classes. BUT, it's only old if you have seen it before--if you are new to the show, it's all exciting and new.

I am excited and already planning for MQX West in Portland this Fall--hoping to see some friends-I-have-never-met there!

Would anyone be interested in getting together for a shop hop on Cape Cod? There are a couple of nice quilt shops out there. I have a 7 passenger van and would be willing to do all the driving. We could probably do lunch or dinner on the Cape as well. I'm free on Wed, maybe Sat, but would have to check. Just thought it might add some spice to the week and would be a fun get together.

Glenda, I was so looking foward to meeting you and showing you the quilt that has your fabric in it. Hope you have a great time at MQS.

Dianne

Lisa,

From the convention center to Hyannis, Cape Cod, MA is maybe an hour. I would have to Map Quest it to be sure. One of the main places I was thinking about is in Hyannis called Heartbeat Quilts, the other one is Tumbleweeds, in another town maybe 10-15 minute drive away from Heartbeat. There are several other smaller quilt shops on the cape as well. We could also, weather permitting, take a detour out to the National Seashore, if anyone is interested. There is also a warehouse/quilt shop called Ryco in RI about 25 minutes from the convention site that we could stop at.

Dianne