Hello from North Pole, Alaska!

Hi! I've been lurking here for the past 6-9 months and reading most of the posts. I have learned so much here. You all are the warmest, friendliest group I have ever seen on an Internet web site. I feel like I've known you for years. This place feels like family. :) I have four sisters already, so adding all of you as my sisters would be fine with me. Deal?

I got bit by the quilt bug about four years ago. My Mother-In-Law, Ingrid...well, it is all her fault! Let's just say that not only did I get bit by the quilt bug, I actually sat on a giant quilted rocket attached to my fanny and I am shooting out in the Stratosphere. That's all I can say to describe it. Hubby just takes it all in stride (thankfully) because like I said...it's his mom's fault. ;)

I love everything and anything to do with quilting. It has really become my passion. More than the acutal quilting, I love the people attached to the quilting. The most wonderful human beings I have ever met were (and are) quilters.

Now, to fulfill another dream I've had for a few years, is a longarm. I've asked around, played with a couple, done lots of research, and the one I want is an APQS with a stitch regulator. Andre and I are currently in the midst of remodeling our home (to include my own quilting studio large enough for a giant piece of machinery...) and we should have this remodel completed by spring of 2007.

(name removed) in Corvallis is lining me all up so I can spring into action early next year. (thanks, Linda!) :)

So anyway, just consider you all hugged by me. I really love this place. See you around...

Shana

Shana,

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting. You are right, this site is the best, and the women here are so talented. Inspiration is everywhere!! I am so excited for you, you are going to love your machine. I took a look at your dogs - they are beautiful. Alaska, our dream destination. Someday we will make it there, maybe we will stop by and say "Hey!"

Keep us clued in on your progress, as you know we love pictures!

HI Shana, Some day I'm going to take a quilter's cruise up to Alaska, I've heard it is beautiful country. Have you always lived there or is your husband military or something like that? I'm sorry, I know that's a terrribly personal question. I'm just wondering what one would do for a job if they lived in Alaska.

Welcome Shana - Yes this is a great site for inspiration and encouragement. And Linda is great. You'll love having her in your cheering section - always there to help you along this path that we are all on. Glad to meet you and you'll have to post pictures of your studio when it is done.

Welcome to the "Family" Shana-

I too am a newbie and I lurked this site for almost a year. Now I feel as if I am part of a big family around the world.

Lots of info and inspiration on this site. If you have a question, don't hesitate to ask. Someone here has "been there", "done that." And they are not afraid to share the details. LOL!!!

My sister lives in Anchorage, and just loves it. Went to visit her for 3 months once. I envy you. What a beautiful state. Everyone needs to visit.

Let us know when you get set up. We'll be waiting to hear of your progress.

Laura Farnham

Co. Springs, Co.

Gr. Millennium

Hi, friends. Thanks for the warm welcome!

To help answer some of your questions:

I've lived in Alaska 30 years so far...transplanted from the SF Bay Area in 1976 when my dad wanted a change. He worked for the Army Corps of Engineers and they had a job opening, so packed up the wife and kids and up we came! I went to high school here and we've been here ever since. Hubby is an Army brat but his dad was stationed most of his career in Alaska, so Andre has been here longer than me. Anywhere you live on this earth you have +'s and -'s ...just depends on what -'s you are willing to put up with to get the +'s ...that's the only way I can describe it. Alaska is beautiful and a great place to raise a family. It is our home.

I've never been on Alaskan cruise before. Can you believe it??? Soo...that's a great idea. Some day, let's all get together for one big happy longarm quilter's cruise. I'll come for sure!

Alaska is just like any place else (with regarding employment...there is every type of job that most of you have down there in other areas. Anchorage is a city the size of 350,000, and I live in the Fairbanks area. Andre works for the Federal Aviation Administration as a Nav Aids technician. I work for Alyeska Pipeline...the company that maintains the Trans Alaska Pipeline. Jobs are fun and life is very good to us!

And, most definitely, if your are up here in my neck of the woods, please stop by to visit. I love to be the tour guide.

Shana , Welcome to our family . This site is wonderful . So many talented women willing to share . Sometimes it is overwhelming . But with ppppp and more ppppp we [us newbies ] will do just fine . I just happen to be as far out west as you can get on the Or coast . So to take classes is a long drive for me . I can't wait to have my class with Linda A in Corvallis Or .

Yes I would be glad to have a sister that quilts . I plan on coming up your sometime hope you will be tour guide . I really want to see the Northern lights ......

Good luck with your new journey as a longarm

Hi Shana

Welcome. I did just what you did. I read and read and read for almost a year before I started "talking". I'm still hesitate and I'm not sure why because everybody is so nice and helpful.

I grew up in Wasilla and when I married my husband we moved to Chugiak. We moved down to the lower 48 in 1992. We live in Washington, which is also a very beautiful state.

So again, welcome. I have a APQS, Millennium and I love it!!!!

Good Luck to you,

Tamara

Hi Shana! I have two biological sisters who are quilters, but I always enjoy having more. Welcome to the APQS Family! This is a wonderful site. Linda will take good care of you. She is a very supportive rep for APQS.

Linda

Hi Shana,

This sight has helped me so much, I can't believe I actually found this place where the only stupid question is the one never asked!

Everyone here are such an insperation and help, I love this site!!

I do have to say I am envious of you. I am a self taught quilter, I wish at times that I had a family member teach me and be able to quilt with me. :P

My husband says that since I have so many books (mostly about quilting) that I should open up the quilt library in our area. :)

Keep on a trucking (quilting)! :P

Char

Hi Shana:

When my late Grandma Harris found out her daughter was pregnant with me, she began piecing me a quilt, which I have had for 63 years. It is a bit worn, has a few "holes," but the love she poured into it with each stitch gave me the security of family love. Grandma Harris was my inspiration to become a quilter, along with my mom.:)

I, too, have found the best sisters to have are quilting sisters. We share knowledge, oohs and ahhs, and when one needs a "hug," a fat quarter can do the trick. I have two e-mail pen pals, whom I have never met, but rather a mispelling of my e-mail addy began our friendship. :D Another lady posted a question, which I answered and she and I belonged to the same guild and had never met. Today, we are the best of friends.;)

I saw Alaka from the air and flew near your famous volcanic mountain in route to Korea, where I had a tour of duty in 1988. Alaska and North Dakota are the only states, I haven't been to, in the good old USA!:(

Welcome to our quilting world and remember, your sisters are always willing to answer any questions you might have.:D

Keep smiling,

Lyn from sunny Florida:cool:

Welcome Shana!

We are so fortunate to have (name removed), I got to take a beginner class from her, and learned so much. I hope that you'll come "down south" and be able to do the same. We live very near the Portland airport, so if you need a place to stay...

Let me know when the quilter's cruise is going to happen. I got to cruise the Inside Passage with my mom in 1998. Her father was a fisherman out of Ketchikan during WWII, and spent the summers up there. Fun to see where he might have been, and what he was doing.

Welcome to the family, you're going to love nearly every minute of your longarm. I personally don't love the frogging times, but hopefully those will be few for you.

Beth

Shana,

Welcome, welcome.

I have never had any biological sisters but I have lots of sisters now that I visit with regularly, I may not always talk but I lurk a lot.

You are very fortunate to have Linda. She is also my mentor and is always available. YOu have the best.

Look forward to pictures. You certainly live in a beautiful state, but then Oregon is wonderful too. Hope you can come and visit sometime.

It would be so much fun to have a quilters cruise up your way with all the famous people on it ( I am referring to all the wonderful teachers and experts on this site).

My advice for you while you are waiting is just practice with your pencil and paper. My husband doodles all the time and he is a fabulous meanderor (is that a word?):o

Hang on tight to your rocket ship.:D

Dear Shana,

I just spent the week-end with my family at the beach, I am glad to see that you have introduced your self!

:)

You are going to love LA quilting!

We are sew happy that you have joined us, what a very special & talented group we have here at the chat. It brings the world a little closer together!;)

Looking forward to our time quilting up a storm in October, counting the days until we meet in person!

Call me anytime~

:DLinda

Hey, Shana,

Nice to hear from another Alaskan. I was born in Anchorage before it was a state (don't do the math). I have been back just twice to see it again. When I was back this last time and went through Denali, I learned something valuable.

1 The best way to keep away bears is to wear bracelets with little jingle bells on them. Bears hate the noise.

2. When you are out in the woods always look for bear poop, it will help you to know where they've been.

So, I asked our guide, "how can you tell which waste is bear poop?" and he told us to look for the little jingle bells in it ............

HAHAHAHA:P:D:P:D:P:D:P:D

Caron, Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! That is a good one! ;) I heard that one a long time ago but glad you refreshed my memory. :P I'll have to watch for those jingle bells next time I'm out in the woods. LOL!

Linda, glad you had a fun time at the beach. My sister in Salem is excited I'm coming down for a visit. I plan on staying at her home the entire visit and then driving down to Corvallis on Monday & Tuesday to see you.

Bekah, Beth, Lyn, Char, Tamara, and all... Wow...thanks to all of you for the warmest welcome. You are all just swell!

See ya around...

Shana

JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT YOUR DREAM OF A MACHINE WILL COME TRUE WE AT ULMER"S JUST PURCHASED A MILLIE GREEN WOW WHAT A DREAM COME TRUE. THE DIRECTIONS IN THE MANUAL ARE WONDERFUL AND THE MACHINE IS BEYOND BELIEF. YOU WON'T BE SORRY WHEN YOU PURCHASE YOUR MACHINE. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE OURS. I HAVE HAD OURS ABOUT A MONT AND BECAUSE WE HAD AN ANTIQUE ONE BEFORE THIS ONE IS GLIDES LIKE A KNIFE THRU BUTTER. I AM DOING THE FREE MOTION AND I CALL THEM LOOPS. I HAVE SOME PANEL QUILTS AND I HAVE BEEN OUTOINING THE FIGURES ON THEM TO GET USED TO THE MOVEMENT OF THE MACHINE. I AM STILL UNSURE ABOUT THE PANTOGRAPH. BECAUSE I NEVER DID COLOR WELL BETWEEN THE LINES. I HAVE BEEN PLAYING WITH DIFFERENT TYPES OF THREAD TO SEE HOW THEY REACT WITH DIFFERENT BATTINGS SO AM LEARNING ALOT. WHEN THE MANUAL COMES BE SURE TO WATCH THE DVD ON THE MAINTENENCE AS THERE IS ALOT OF INFORMATION ABOUT THE MACHINE AS WELL AS INSTRUCTIONS IT WILL BLOW YOU AWAY. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN. IF YOU ARE EVER IN HOMER PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STOP BY OUR STORE. I JUST TOOK PICTURES OF THE FABRIC DEPARTMENT. AS WE HAVE A QUILTERS RETREAT THAT WILL BE HERE ON THE 21ST OF SEPTEMBER. IT IS THE NORTHWOODS QUILTERS WHAT A BUNCH OF FUN LADIES. LOOK FORWARED TO HEARING FROM YOU.

MERRY

Archived