Sign in to follow this  
sandyg

lining up a panto

Sandy, the way I do it is after finishing a row, I pick a spot at the top of the panto (top when you're standing at the rear of the machine), say a tip of a leaf, that's repeated at the bottom of the panto (closest to you).

Put the needle down in the tip of the leaf at the top, and slowly advance the quilt, watch for when the laser light matches the same tip of the leaf at the bottom of the panto. You should be lined up and ready to go for the next row. Just double check across the length of the panto and make sure that it's lined up the same all the way across.

Hope that's clear :)

Signature.jpg

I'm the oddball here..... :D I don't like to advance my quilt with the needle down. So I basically do what all of the above said, only backwards! :P I line my laser up with a high point on the panto and then go around to the front and advance the quilt until the stitching meets the needle. Same thing (only backwards) and without the needle in the quilt. Make sense??

Patty Butcher
Katydids Quilting Studio ~ APQS FL Store
IntelliQuilter Dealer
EdgeRider Wheels Dealer
Brooksville, FL (Central FL)
352-397-4959, 850-502-0272 Cell
http://www.katydids.net
patty@katydids.net
New Generation Millennium W/IQ; 2015 Lucey with Quilt Path: George

Guest Linda S

Patty - how do you get your machine to hold still as you do this? Do you engage your channel locks? Ever since I put my M&M wheels on, my machine head floats around when something else (like the fabric advance) is moving.

Linda, check your machine for level, it shouldn't move even w/o the channel locks on. Also make sure your levelor bar is not too low and the quilt is not rubbing on the bed of the machine. I would think that would make it move as you advance.

I can do this on my Millie with Bliss and it doesn't move.

Patty Butcher
IntelliQuilter Dealer
EdgeRider Wheels Dealer
patty@katydids.net

Need to clarify.... on most pantos, they have a dotted line of the partial design underneath the actual design. This represents the previously stitched design when you advance the quilt. This is where I line up my laser then advance the quilt until the stitched line meets the needle.

Patty Butcher
IntelliQuilter Dealer
EdgeRider Wheels Dealer
patty@katydids.net

I do the same as Patty, but standing at the back of the machine, and hold the machine in place until the quilt has advanced. Having ripped a hole in a quilt with the needle down, I'm leary of leaving it in.

Cee K