Marking Quilts

Hello everybody

I know this question has been asked many times but I wasn't finding it so...

What is the best pen or pencil to use for marking the quilt and then it coming out nicely and it not coming back. I just read about that happening.

I'm sure there many different opinions but I still want to know what everybody thinks.

I have tried a pencil that was specifically for quilts and it traced very good but when it was time for it to come out I had to hand scrub the whole thing and it was a lot of work.

Anyway, any suggestions and advise would be very welcome.

Thank you

Tamara

I am not convinved there is a best product. They are all great until they fail you. I've had things work even on the test piece then not come out of the finished product, and I have had things that marked well then didn't work at all. I think all you can do is pre-wash the quilt, test markers and hope.

I'd iove someone to tell me there is a solution.

Ferret

Tamara

You do have to be careful with the washout markers. You can not set the quilt in the sunlight or press the fabric after marking with this product as it will heat set the blue line. Also, you must totally submerge the quilt to really remove all traces of the blue marker (remember to use cool water). You should do this as you do not know if any ink has settled in the batting.

Do you think that any of our customers submerge their quilts after binding them to square them up? I don't think mine do...if they did I don't think I would hesitate to use the blue marking pens. I also think that if I did use them I would let the customer know this and tell them they must rinse the quilt as soon as possible after binding it. What do the rest of you do when using the blue water soluble marker?

Maybe, others have never had any problems with the lines coming back after a few years. I remember horror stories when they first came on the market. Some of those stories are from the misuse of the product. I know the product has improved from its first introduction to the quilting world.

My favorite is to pounce the stencils with chalk. It is quicker than marking all those lines. I use the black light chalk (mixed with regular white chalk...helps on the price of the black light chalk) on light colors so I don't have to worry about getting rid of the blue pounce lines. Remember when using pounce it is not an up and down motion...but at back and forth over the stencil on the slightly rough side of the plastic. You can make your own stencil with DBK plastic (purchased from the Stencil Company). It is extremely soft, easy to cut with the double bladed olfa exacto knife.

My next favorite is General's chalk pencils. Yes, they do break easily...but it is just chalk and won't harm the quilt.

I haven't used the blue washout markers on customers quilts. I just don't want to take the risk of it coming back because I didn't wash it out well enough...But I am a chicken with some things. Diane Gaudynski uses the blue washout markers too. She is extemely successful with them and never has had a problem. She has won at Paduch 4 times that I can remember for conventional machine quilting. I thnk Anita Shackleford uses them too.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

thank you Sandra & Cheryl

I also like to use the pounce pad, although that's brand new to me. but I have so many patterns that I like, and have, that are not on stencils. I tried one time to make my own stencil from a pattern I liked. I even bought a heat pencil or whatever they call them. Anyway, my stencil was a disaster. I'm not sure if it was because of the heat pencil (I know that's not what it's called, just can't think of the name of it right now), or because of the pattern or what. I know when the hot tip melted the plastic for the stencil it left really rough areas. But I did not buy the plastic it from the stencil company you mentioned.

Do you think they will have the Generals Chalk pencils at Innovations? I'm so excited to go. I can only be there on Wednesday and I am only able to take 2 classes but I'm soooo excited:D.

I think there will be a lot to choose from so I think I'll bring along the names of these things you've told me about and take a look.

What is the black light chalk? I have white chalk and blue chalk and I mixed a small amount of the blue into the white to dilute it. So I have a white pounce and a blue pounce. But I've not heard of the black light. Sounds like you would have to have a black light. If so, where do you put it when you are quilting with the Milli?

thanks for your helpful advise, I really appreciate it!

Tamara

Tamara,

You should be able to find the General Chalk pencils in any art store....they come in tons of colors not just white. HOWEVER you need to stay away from the darker colors, blacks, browns, dark blue, dark green...colors like that they don't come out as easy.

The best colors are the white, lite blue, lite yellow and grey... Some times you will find them in hobbie stores in a package of two white pencils and one charcoal and a pencil sharpener...

Black light chalk is a substance that has an illuminating agent added to white chaulk...you can only see this with a black light. These can be purchased through APQS...the light replaces the regular light on your machine.....its just an easy pop out and you go back and forth between them as you need them.

My friend Ronda Beyer shared a new marking pen with me sometime ago. It is now my new favorite. It is a vanishing marker called Marvy by Uchida. I am using it for the OHMYGAWD quilt. I have tried many vanishing pens in the past and have not found a favorite until now. This one stays visible for just the right amount of time for me and the marks dissapear with the erasor on the other end or with a misting of water. I will be distributing this pen in the near future but I understand it is available through Checkers. I prefer the purple color although they do have the white and the pink available as well.

thanks for the update Sherry. This sounds like a winner. I have always used the blue wash out marker. Didn't know the lines might reapper. the only people who have my quilts are grandkids and I am sure they wouldn't even notice. so once again, this forum has saved my bacon.

:D

Usually the quilt shops carry the Generals Chalk pencils. I know Joann's has them too...but I think they are too pricy there. They sell them in a package. The only colors I use are a grey and white...works on every color of fabric.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Tamara,

Here is a link to a podcast called "The Big Blue Marker Debate" from Nadine Ruggles at Driven to Quilt (Episode 4) that I found really helpful. I was too afraid to use a washable pen for the longest time, but finally took the plunge after I heard this podcast:

http://www.podfeed.net/podcast/Driven+To+Quilt--The+Podcast+for+Todays+Quilter/6805

She recommends the following:

1) Avoid any heat source, including sunlight, pets, sunny windows, a warm television....

2.) Don't leave the quilt marks in too long

3.) Don't use detergent of any kind when you rinse out the pen marks, just plain water.

4.) Pre-wash the quilt in plain water first, then wash with soap in a second wash.

She uses two methods to transfer designs to dark fabrics:

Method A:

-Trace your design onto freezer paper

-Needle punch the design with your sewing machine

-Place freezer paper with needle punch design on quilt and transfer design with pounce powder

-Connect the dots left on the quilt with a chalk pencil

-Set with light hair spray

Method B:

-Scan in your design to a graphic design program like Photoshop

-Invert your image so that you have white lines on a black background

-Print out on a black and white printer

-Now you can see the "white" lines through a light box to transfer onto darker fabric.

I use the little flat looking things with a teethy roller in it has some kind of light chalk and it always wipes off with water and soft cloth. I have them in yellow, white, blue and red. I got them at a local quilt store. I don't use anything besides my pounce pad to put marks on any of my quilts and these chalk markers. Found the air eraseable ones don't stay on long enough and the blue one just bleeds through to the back side. Hope everyone has given their options on what they use and you try them out on samples first.

I like the blue or purlple water soluble pen for light fabric but I was having a hard time marking dark fabric. I used the soap stone pencil but now I really like the Bruvnzeel art pastel pencil #8640 color 886 gray, (it's chalk). Shows up nice and comes off very easy when you want it to. You can find it in art stores or online.

Archived