I'm Home!

I've been in and out of the hospital since Nov.19th. In for a couple of weeks trying to get infection under contol so I missed Thanksgiving with the family. Got to come home for about a week and 1/2 and had to go back becase colon infection and associated abcess were getting worse. Dr did emergency surgery, so I missed Christmas with the family, and now I have a colostomy bag for 6 months, then they go in and put everything back together again. I spent a couple of weeks after the surgery in the hospital trying to get up in a chair, but an easily solved issue was keeping me from standing. Once that was fixed I could walk but the insurance said I had to move to a skilled nursing rehab. I spent another couple of weeks there and just came home on Thursday. Walking is wobbly. C-bag is horrible, and I still have an open wound that Home health is having to come tend daily.

In a nutshell I still need your prayers! I've been sick in one way or another since August of last year, and have not worked since Nov 19th. All sick and vacation time is gone, so I have no income. My mother and sister are footing all the bills. I need to get up and back to work fast. Sorry for all the gloomies but this is how it is for now. Please pray!

Kenna,

Please take it easy. You don't want to end up back in the hospital. Yes you need to go back to work but you need to heal first. Think of how much is already behind you. The colostomy bag is a drag but it's temporary. Hopefully the reversal surgery will go smoothly.

Do you have any hand quilting, applique or binding to keep you busy? Isn't it wonderful just to be in your own space and have some privacy?

Hang in there. We're all rooting for you.

Dianne

Kenna, surely you qualify for disability income!!!! If anyone does I figure you do!!!

Glad you are at least on the mend. My brother-in-law had this same surgery about 10 years ago and it changed his life. Suddenly he had better color, more energy, didn't feel bad all the time. He is just a different guy for the better. That is the way you will be, just you wait and see.

We love you and hope you get well fast!!!

Hi Kenna-Babe! Love you baby! Glad you are home, and that you popped in the chat to check in with us. We miss you and it's not the same here without our Kenna hangin' with us...

I wanted to say I am so sorry about your illness and subsequent financial situation. I wanted to suggest some options for you. We as tax payers, have some services and things offered to us when we have the need. Please contact your local WIC (Women in Crisis) or one of your local United Way charities and ask them to help you or to point you in the right direction to get some financial and other type of support you need. These services are here for you to utilize when necessary. I think you are a perfect candidate. Help is here. Just ask; you might be surprised you will get what you ask for. :) They might find a good job for you, too!

Keep your chin up. I know right now things are very difficult. I can't imagine the C-bag. It's only temporary. Try to look at the horizon and know you will survive this and get better. Attitude is everything. I know you got that, girl... Keep it up.

Love you...

Kenna,

I'm so sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. You're in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. The hospital's social worker should know if you can get some benefits. Check into it because you'll feel better if you aren't worried about finances. Bless your family for helping! Get well soon!

Kenna,

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way... So sorry for your illnesses! A C-bag is a terrible inconvenience. When my brother had one (from agent orange in Viet Nam) I sent him some "designer" Gucci bags... Maybe hearing that will lift your spirits!

(((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))

Kenna,

Yes do look into any and all avenues of help in your time of need! My late husband received SS disability once he was unable to work and that was a life saver! Hang in there, even if you have to take it a day at a time and just believe that things will get better.

Julia

Kenna,

Glad to hear you are home, but sad to hear all that's been going on with you.

I too believe ou should apply for disability!

There are lawyers out there that will get next to nothing for filing for you!

I'd look into it girl!

Quilted Hugs, for a very speedy recovery. Prayers for you and your family during this tough struggle.

Kenna - I'll add my prayers to all of the rest here on the chat. Keep your chin up girl cause the Lord knows what is happening and I think that the advice from the others here is a nudge from Him for a way to cover all the loose financial ends that are out there. {{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}} from me. Take care and do as the Dr orders so that you can get back into your life. Luv Ya:P

Kenna, I too am happy you are home. I know the colostomy can be a bear but it is a lifesaver. I took care of my mom's for 19 years because they did it in an emergency and placed it too high for her to see and take care of. Here are a few things I learned over the years.

Don't let them stick you with bags that have to be emptied. We found some that snapped away from the stoma and a new one snapped right back on. When we traveled I always carried freezer bags (the kind that zip real easy) and flushable baby wipes. I would let the colostomy bag hang into the freezer bag, snap it off, zip it up, wipe the stoma, snap on a new one. It was fast and easy. If your skin starts to get raw under the barrier, Maalox is a lifesaver! It clears it up faster than anything we ever tried.

Kenna if you have any questions or concerns that I can help you with, feel free to email or call me. There were not any colostomy nurses in our area so I had to learn everything I could about them. Because of that, I am very comfortable dealing with them. I am certainly not an expert, but after 19 years I have probably dealt with most anything that could happen with a colostomy. Let me know if I can help.

Archived