Quilt and Jacket for State Fair

Mary Beth tells me that I need to post these pictures, but I fully expect to goof it up. I'm not very computer oriented when it comes to moving files around.

Business was slow this summer, as in dead as a doornail, so I had time to piece this quilt . Piecing is as scary for me as posting these pictures! The quilt is a design from Judy Martin's book Scraps.

The jacket was a last minute thing that I decided to do about the middle of August. I combined quilting designs from Judy Allen and Sharon Schamber.

I hope this will work.

Phyllis Hughes

Back of Jacket

Oh they are both Marvelous! I love the jacket -- looks like something fun to wear. And the quilt is nice and bright with gorgeous quilting. I'm very glad you posted the pics!

Linda

Just a plug.

I have been seeing this jacket in progress via email and told Phyllis she needed to post the pictures. She has a nack, as we all do, of being her worst critic. Anyway, what Phyllis failed to tell you is that she has entered the jacket, (not sure about the quilt - she held out on that one - I didn't know about it), in the Oklahoma State Fair. She just took it down there this week so keep your fingers crossed - while you are quilting:D I know she is going to do well at the fair with that jacket. I kept telling her that, but I think it helped her to hear it from you all! Thank you! Phyllis is a great quilter.

Your pics are just in time....I have a jacket in my imagination!!! Answer the above questions, please, and give us the details of how you did this. It's a wonderful jacket! Love the quilt, too. I think it is nice to have a busy back really. I hate when the bobbin threads scream at me on the back. Don't you?

Gorgeous jacket! Love it! It'll be fun to wear & it will win some ribbons! The quilt is quite lovely! Love the colors & the quilting. You've made very constructive use of your slack time; it's a good thing, as once word gets out you're not gonna have time to do this again!

Thanks for sharing these jewels with us!

Pat

AZ:cool:

Mille

Phyllis, I can only echo everyone else here. They are both lovely. I especially love teh colors in the quilt. I am a color kind of gal. I also want to know did you do the quilting and then cut out the jacket? Love the gold thread. I bet you win lots of ribbons.

thank you so much for posting. It is such an encouragement and inspiration to all of us "new persons":)

Phyllis -

You rock, Lady! That jacket is awesome. I can only imagine how much time and effort went into making such a beautiful piece. And your quilt is great. I enjoy the colors very much and love the callalily quilt design. You have great ideas!

Wish you all the best at the fair. You'll do great

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. Thank you, Mary Beth, for encouraging me on. I wouldn't have entered anything without Mary's little pushes.

I used Quilter's Dream Deluxe in the jacket. I thought that it would give me more "puff". I wanted a very simple jacket with as few seams as possible and no darts. I found a quilted jacket pattern that I thought would work. It was designed to be strip quilted to a muslin base. I taped the back and front pattern pieces together and eliminated the side seams. I traced the pattern onto the fabric and then transferred the designs that I wanted to use with chalk. I stitched the designs out with Superior's Highlights in a rose color. I thought it would give me enough shine to be visible, but the color would blend well enough that I wouldn't have to worry about backtracking as much. The quilting hardly showed at all. So, I decided to echo the designs in gold and fill in the echo with circles. That gave me the "pop" I wanted, but still felt like it needed something. So I outlined the veins in gold. Then it didn't feel balanced because there was all this gold and then blank unquilted areas. I didn't want those areas to feel left out, so I echo quilted the whole jacket. I used a 1000 yard spool of Superior's Metallic Gold and had started on a 5000 yard spool before I finished. I put the pattern back on the quilted fabric and cut it out. I only had to stitch the shoulder seams and put the sleeves in it. I used a purple batik for the facings to match the purple in the fashion fabric. Oh, yes, then I did the buttonholes, buttons, and hems.

I loved working with Superior's Gold. I had no breakage or knots, or any other problems. I'm going to have to find a reason to use it again. After all, I have most of a 5000 yard spool. I also have a 5000 yard spool of the Silver.:D

Now for the problem. I doubt if I will wear the jacket because it is huge on me. The shoulders are about two inches past my shoulders. They stand out because of all of the quilting. If you are a Star Trek (Generation) fan, think of Klingon Commander Yarr's uniform jacket. That is what it reminds me of. Tonight I finally figured out why it is so big, when I know I used the right size pattern. Remember I said the design was to be strip quilted to a muslin base. The muslin base would have to be bigger because the quilting would shrink the base up. I cut the pattern out of the fabric after it was quilted, so there wasn't any shrinkage. I'll know next time..... Oh well, as I told DH, it only has to be displayed, not worn.

I guess I'll have to go to the fair to see how I did. Either that or wait two weeks until I pick the items up.

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

Archived