Transport company for longarm

I may have an out of state buyer for my Freedom and am looking for anyone's experience shipping a longarm to a new purchaser. I want to find the most economical way as well as one with a good reputation. I am in MN and it may be heading south. I have the original machine head box and can send that on ahead of the table, poles and ends.

Thank you,

Lisa;)

I've had good luck and great pricing from FedEx Freight. I shipped a Voyager machine (85# head) and a Hinterberg frame in 3 different boxes for about $300. That was about 3 years ago. They also delivered my Millie, and it was $210. shipping. The delivery guy was great; and has stopped by since twice to see what I am working on with that "heavy piece of machinery"!! :P:P

Sylvia: First, congratulations! As everyone has said, you're going to love your Freedom. Mine came mid-December of 2010 and I'm having a ball. Love it so much, even though I've mostly done pantos with just a little front side quilting so far.

My head was available locally from my APQS rep, but my frame was shipped from APQS on ABF Freight. It arrived in perfect condition and ABF was very good to work with. Freight companies do not deliver to your door, but to the end of your driveway so you will need some help getting it into your house, as the roller boxes are heavy and extremely cumbersome. I don't know if ABF will assist with packing (I kinda doubt it) but you can check out their web site www.abf.com for details and phone numbers.

Again, congrats on your new machine.

Not always true Lois. My FedEx guy backed up to my studio door and used his hydraulic lift gate to get it out of the truck. Then he hauled it ALL into my studio and put it where I asked him to. I did help him with the boxes of rollers. He said, "What the heck is in here that is SO heavy?" :P:D

Depending on the time of day maybe you could stand out with doughnuts or a piping hot pizza. I bet they would take

it inside for you. LOL.

I had my machine shipped UPS freight I believe and it was over 1,000.00. CT to OH. Seems I got ripped off in that deal. But got a great deal on the machine.

Congrats on selling and buying your machine!!

Michele

first and largest issue is the length of the table. freight companies consider anything over 48" long "oversize" therefore, rate per pound goes way up, and they ask, 'how long?' 12 feeeet??? (chaaaaaa ching)

second, is the home delivery (i.e. 'lift gate service')

(double chaaaa ching)

has anyone tried U-Ship.com?

Wanda, Silvia, Lisa: I used U-Ship to have my Ult2 12' shipped from FL to TX. It cost me $550 last May. It was a great experience. They offer several levels of service from dock to dock freight to "white glove" where they do everything. My shipper was great. The sales listing said the machine was 10'. I posted it as such and accepted a bid. When the shipper arrived to pick it up, he discovered it was 12' not 10' as I had listed, and it would not fit in his van. He went ahead and rented a truck large enough to carry it, packed it and delivered it. No complaint, no additional charge, no extra delay! It took several days for me to get a bid I was happy with, so be patient. Also be flexible about the timing on pick-up and delivery. These are generally small independent operators, and need to set up a complete load for it to profitable. I think it took about 3 weeks from listing to delivery. Jim

Thanks again everyone for your help with shipping companies. So far the the pricing is outrageous because of residential pick-up $90 extra and lift gate use $150 at each end of trip plus crating or packaging. I am still waiting to talk with APQS when they are shoveled out of the snow storm. maybe it will have to be a girls road trip - too bad it isn't spring! Another company is coming this afternoon so keep your fingers crossed and if you pray like I do, remember Sylvia and I today.

Archived