Home Quilting Machines

I have taught the Viking Mega Quilter Classes. I know these ladies think they'll be doing lots of bigger quilts. But I do stress in class "your warranty is for 3 month, domestic, not commercial use". I tell them "nothing will suck the joy out of your hobby more than having to do it for someone else, and having it go badly".

That being said, I do have people who have these machines, that haven't used them for a big quilt or decide that it's too much trouble and time consuming if the panto is only 4 inches and they are trying to do a big quilt. (It has to be turned half-way, and no big fluffy battiing).

Cynthia

I am not threatened by the short arm machines/ DSM on frames...I have a couple of customers that use theese for small quilts but when they want anything over a twin size quilt done they bring it to me. They bought those machines because it was the best that they were able to afford at the time and had space for.

As for less response for the other name brand machines on this site is pretty simple, if there is a mechanical problem with a Gammil or Nolting etc... unless someone owns that machine or previously owned that machine how can someone help with the problem such as tension problems, stitching irregularities, etc.. This after all is an APQS chat site and was created to help first and for most other APQS owners or people interrested in an APQS machine.

However with that being said technical stuff aside this site does have a lot to offer to non-APQS owners like design concepts, gadget knowledge that works with all machines. And best of all the quilt pics that get posted.

No one long arm web site can be a one size fits all site, they all have there limitations and I have seen people on this site answer all kinds of questions even basic piecing questions for the first time piecer. Point that I am trying to make is that no one is trying to snub, put down or discourage anyone that comes here, I have seen just the opposite, friendships, and bonds being formed no matter what type of machine they have or not have.

Oh and I have also noticed that some apqs owners questions have gone unanswered in the past...not because no one wanted to help but because no one knew the answer...this could also be the case with non apqs owners questions...just a thought :)

Joann

I have been reading your boards for some time now but I do not own a APQS but another brand. I enjoy reading most of what is said. However someone made a very valid point about the cost of a APQS. I know that I can go to the boards for my machine but the work being done by the professionals and shown here is inspiring for all of us. I will continue reading and ignore the negative comments. Not everyone wants a big system or has the room for one. They may only do a big quilt now and then.

woodsew

Norece, you are making me laugh!! Joann, what you said about technical problems certainly makes sense. I have never had a problem with my machine and one of the reasons I come to this site is because I like the way it is organized and anyone can get answers regarding stencils, pantos, threads, batting, etc., just like you said. There is such a wealth of information here, it's wonderful!

Gable :)

I didn't intend to start a trend of criticism. The reason I check this site every day is because (1) I want to grow up to be like the APQS owners one day, (2) because this forum is the best for learning about new techniques, gadgets, and (3) those who are professionals (or learning to be) LA's are SO willing to share what they have learned. You share your talents by posting pictures of your work in progress or finished projects which inspire all of us, you share your experiences which give us hope when we don't know where to start, you help when we ask questions that we can't find answers to, and friendships are formed through the dialogue. I love this forum, so I will apologize that you assumed I was criticizing those who participate in it.

I visit this site because it is great.....I know others who are not fortunate enough to own an APQ machine participate because it is the best.

Thank you to those who share their talents and answers with us all.....you will never know how much you help others because so many read, but don't post replies.

QuiltingNut

Woodsew was right, not everyone has the space for a 12 or 14 foot set of rails. The frame systems made by Inspira (Viking & Pfaff) is 5 OR 10 ft. No in between. The size is and should be a consideration for anyone buying a machine for longarm quilting. ALSO you should well consider it's intended use. I intended to start a business. Now, not in 5 years. So I'm 2 years into it and my machine is paid for, so I've met that FIRST commitment. However, I need to consider that I had an equity line open to finish the space, too. So I have a ways to go to pay THAT off and still run a business.

And yes, I was going to buy a car 2 years ago, but Millie is comfortably parked in my studio. And need I say the maintenance is much lower on Millie!

Cynthia

I am the proud owner of a Bernina 440 QE which has the free-motion quilting feature with the stitch regulator (called BSR). I bought it this spring, knowing that it has a small area for the quilt, but since I don't make large quilts (I'm concentrating on lap-sized quilts), I liked the ability to experiment on my own. Although I find the instruction manual not well written (I write my own after help from the dealer because I am a retired technical writer and impatient with lack of clarity!), I have had NO problems with broken or skipped stitches. It works like a charm! With the discounts and trade-in allowance, I paid about $2300 for it. I wouldn't trade it now for all the gold in China (as I write that I wonder: does China even have gold??!)

So should you be upset with me for this? Well, I hope not. First, I am making lap quilts to give away so I can practice new design and piecing techniques. I wouldn't spend money to have these professionally quilted. I found this forum when I was looking for easy ideas for continuous quilting designs. I've enjoyed all of your messages and photos. AND someday I will get to a more advanced stage in my quilting....and then I WILL probably have something professionally quilted.

I hope you will realize that not all quilters want/can afford/need every quilt professionally quilted. I personally LOVE doing very simple free-hand quilting with my Bernina!! It's the gold at the end of the project for me.

One of the reasons also that I would not have every quilt professionally quilted is that I am afraid of getting a quilt in which the quilting is so obvious and heavy that it takes over from the design of the quilt. I want a balance between them, and not yet knowing who to go to in order to achieve that, I would have to do some research in my community.

So now you've heard from the other side of the fence. I hope you will not be upset with people like me who have some free-hand quilting ability in their home machine. Please remember that not all of these machines are equal. Frankly I never considered anything BUT a Bernina after knowing so many members of my former quilt guild who owned Berninas.

I agree that many owners of small home machines WILL come to you eventually. There is a place in the world for both types of machines.

BTW, one way you might get business is to have a web site showing your work and explaining in detail how your work is priced. I personally am afraid of taking a quilt to a professional only to be told it will be $300 to quilt a little lap quilt. Not knowing what to expect, I tend not to inquire yet at all. Call me stupid, but that's where I am right now.

WOW, MaHubs,

I hear you loud and clear. I use my Bernina for piecing and final finishing. Before I invested in my longarm I pushed queen size quilts through my machine and then got a Brother 1500 and still pushed my quilts through it. Because I love all aspects of sewing and have been sewing for more than 60 years I have a few machines in my sewing room. Most are Berninas including embroidery which I like to include on my quilt tops. And yes I know that this list talks mostly about APQS but I really enjoy reading all the information about quilting that is given so freely by so many of you wonderful ladies.

A big thank you.

woodsew

I really don't think that anyone on this site is putting down those who quilt on their DSMs or the home quilting systems. To those of you who do use those systems I am truly in awe. I tried quilting with my DSM and about had a nervous break-down!:mad: I took a class at MQS from Ricky Tims and was just blown away by what he can do with his Bernina! Beautiful work.

I purchased my long-arm machine because I wanted to do the whole quilting process from start to finish. Plus, I really couldn't afford to have my quilts professionally quilted. I know that it will take alot of quilts to justify my purchase but, it was either that or not quilt. And we all know that once the quilting bug hits you, you are obsessed with the subject.:P:cool: So, I do my own quilting, quilt for a few customers and hopefully, we're all happy. I really don't want this to become a job, I just want enough paying customers to help pay for my machine and to bankroll my quilting habit.:P

Like I said, it's going to take alot of quilts to justify buying a long-arm machine, but I really want to do the whole process for myself. Plus, I do some quilting for others to help pay for my machine and my quilting "stuff". And, as alot of other quilters have stated, my husband has a whole lot of expensive tools that he hardly ever uses, so I don't really feel too guilty for purchasing something that I use constantly.

I have tons of quilts running around in my head...can those count!:P

Don't forget, quilters -- you DO NOT HAVE to buy the top of the line machine, no matter what brand you get. I have a Liberty, which saved me a few thousand dollars to spend on batting, thread, and supplies. :) Sure, I have a bit smaller quilting space, but it's all I can handle for detail work (which is mostly what I do). I have nearly every bell and whistle that the Millennium has, and I'm very happy. Bigger is not always better.

Linda

You're absolutely correct, Linda, and I think that if I could do it all over again, I too, would have gotten the Liberty. But, at the time I was convinced that you had to have all of the quilting space that you could get......not so. For the really detailed work I need the machine close to me and I don't use all of that space. You live and learn.........hopefully!:P

But I do love my Jennie and right or wrong, we're in this together!

This topic has been an interesting read for me. I bought a Handiquilter 4 years ago this month so that I could finish my own quilts. My local LA'er had two of my quilts for almost 2 years at that point. Now I did tell her I was in no hurry, but two years seems a little excessive. We are freinds, and she is a wonderful person..very giving and helpful, too.

The Handiquilter with my old Viking was fine for awhile. Then I need more space, so I up graded my machine to a Juki....bigger throat area. That was fine for a while. Then I need Handi Handles. That was fine for awhile. Then I wanted to work from the front of the machine. I went to MQS the last year it was in Springfield IL to just look at what I could buy to make my shortarm set up more workable.

What made my system more workable was an APQS Liberty. I ordered it before coming home, took delivery in July 2004.

My DH is a great guy with plenty of expensive toys, and his own expensive hobbies so I was blessed to have his support and encouragement. He wanted the Millennium....bigger he thought, top of the line....no more "that was fine for awhile". But my Liberty is just right for me. I love it.

Someday I will quilt for others, but right now I am enjoying my "liberty" in doing my own quilts.

Cheryl in Iowa

Annabelle APQS Liberty

Two years is way too long for anyone to have a quilt - but that is just my opinion. Since she is your friend, maybe she was putting other customer quilts in front of yours. We bought a Millie, just because I didn't want to upgrade later. I guess if you have a Handi Quilter or whatever and you are happy with it - then that is great. I have never tried one, just went right for the longarm since I knew people that had them and at that time there was a lot of vibration and problems with the set up or whatever with the DSM and the frame. Whatever works for you is fine.

This is a great sight for learning. I thought I'd add my 2 cents. One of my best clients bought the Mega Quilter Viking Inspira system. I told her I will miss her but she asured me that I would continue to quilt her larger quilts and I have.

I have a Discovery but worked for a Viking dealership before that. I do teach for them on the Mega Quilter frame as part of their free class with machine purchase. I thought I was shooting myself in the foot doing this but I enjoy teaching and helping other quilters.

I think it is a great home system but would not recomend for business use because of the limited quilting space. Like anything else there is a learning curve. The cruise control is not like the longarm stitch reguators but they are a great aid for the price ($500) Money well spent. With the right settings, the stitch quality is wonderful. You can over run the system so you do need to adjust for the speed you use quilting. As a beginner gets faster, they need to turn up the speed and the regulator setting or the stitches will look awful. Unfortunately their directions are not very good but neither were the ones that came with many long arm machines.

Viking has dropped the Insira frame (because of slow production I'm told) for a new one by the Gracie co (so now I have to learn another one.) It looks more like a long arm set up but has alot more peices. The Viking dealer is pulling her hair out trying to set it up. Like anything new there will be bugs to work out.

The table moving thing for $1200? is interesting. It could be a nice alternative for someone who does not have the space for a 10' frame. I think a quilter would be better off taking a good machine quilting class and buy a sewing table that can have the machine bed flush with the table.

These are all totaly different systems. Once you have a big long arm system it is hard to see the good in the smaller ones. But if you have been breaking your back pinning and trying to quilt with a DSM (I know I try to forget) these smaller quilt frames are a blessing.

No I don't have Viking stock ;) I do have a Ultimate II for sale on the used machine board.

Pat Hutti

APQS Discovery

www.huttidesigns.com

Hi All,

It has been so interesting to read this topic.

my quilting history. I became interested in machine quilting about 14 years ago and ... figured I had to piece tops.... so I could do the quilting.

I did sewing cabinet free motion machine quilting for about 9 years - and STILL do some off and on.

About 5 years ago I purchased the table top HandiQuilter frame and a Brother PQ1500 - there were not many home frames on the market- back then.

I've frame quilted about 50 charity quilts and 3 -4 queen size quilts on my home frame.

-----------------

Do most of you realize that there are about a DOZEN different manufacturers of home frames?

Granted many of these frames are like.... the lowest end ford urban vehicle compared to a top of the line APQS or other well known long arm manufacutrer. The Hinterberg frame is a quite nice frame... quite nice. The Inspira was market-ed Blitzcreig style... I've tested it out, it's got some good points and bad... just like every thing.

My theory is that Pfaff has started production on a different frame... as NEW sells, old doesn't - in the machine-toys world. People think new --- as improved, when sometimes --- new is just different. I haven't seen the new frame so don't have an opinion on that.. but marketing is so important in making sales... machines or quilting services, or hot-dogs.

-------------------------

I would have never paid a pro quilter to do my charity quilts -- so a pro quilter would not loose money from me that way.

In fact, the first time I paid for the services of a long-arm quilter was AFTER I purchased my home frame.

Home frame quilting really gives one an APPRECIATION for the true long arm quilter.

I have to comment that if a long-armer is good, timely, personable, and a person that MARKETS themselves.... there is no way, in my opinion, that home frame quilting would take any serious amount of business away from this pro.

Since I home frame quilt with my small 9" harp reach on my sewing machine, I've also gotten up the NERVE to try long arm quilting. I now RENT TIME on a pro machine at a local quilter.

I chat on a Home Quilting Frame Chat Group... all the time, and have kept up with the 'latest' and the changes.

I have to say again... that home frame quilting builds an Appreciation for the long-arm quilter.

However, I do see a few Long Arm manufacturers starting to scale down their machines (nolting has the Fun Quilter, Gammill has their small one, APQS also has a smaller one... and the prices vary quite a bit.)

With people buying $5,000 to 6,000 Bernina's and Pfaff's and Viking's and other top of the line sewing toys...... it's not a big jump to buy a $ 6,000 to 7,000 quilting frame and machine from one of the well known names.

I have commented for 5 years that if a long arm company made a needle up/down stitch regulated 16-18 inch machine for less than $ 7,000 then they could sell them like hot cakes at a Lions fund raiser.

HOWEVER, a $ 7,000 machine is going to take MORE not less support. The not-serious / not-professional buyer will be buying these machines.... and so, they will need more help with breaking threads and all that.

I say that because, I'm an occasional quilter... not an every day quilter... I sort of have to retrain myself every 6 months or so.

Considering that there is more than one way to piece a quilt... there is more than one way to quilt a quilt.

I sit and free motion at my sewing cabinet

I frame quilt with my little frame at home (set at 11 feet - i can do a queen)

I rent time on a long arm

I pay a long-armer to quilt some quilts.

It's all available... I do it all, depending on what I want.

Jane in lovely Austin - it's terribly cold at a brisk 90 degrees GRINN

Linda, I'm with you, it is really sad for anyone to be stuck with something that doesn't live up to the marketing hype some companies create to push their product through the market. I also agree with Quilting Nut, I'm happy for anyone who gets pleasure and enjoyment out of whatever quilting machine they use. And I just wanted to say, I own a DSM, and have gotten lots of great advice here, thanks to all the really nice quilters in this forum. I want to purchase my long arm when I feel my quilting is good enough for a customer, so I keep practicing and learning and listening to the experts here, until my skills can justify the investment.

Archived