making mini-leaders

Hi,

Now that I have the Red Snappers and we have an 18 hour window of no snow....I was going to run to JoAnns for mini-leader fabric. I have zippers and was going to zip the mini-leaders on for the RS. I would like to use ticking, but the ticking I have doesn't seem any heavier than quilting cotton. Do I need to get a heavier ticking, and is that hard to find at your average JoAnns?

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I found some heavier-weight ticking at JoAnns (boy, was it crowded!) and had a 50% off coupon. Now to make them tomorrow.

My husband surprised me by ordering the M&M wheels today.... so hopefully between the RS and the new wheels I will feel that I am making progress since getting my Millie in April.

I got my leaders all made this morning. It was a PITA but it is done. Basically I made a big casing for the zipper, turned it right sound out so all the unfinished seams are in the inside. Then I added tape measures so that I will be able to get things square. I'll try loading something probably tomorrow. I get Maddie tonight so doubt I get that part done unless I go down late.

I just cut 6" or so strips of the canvas (I had purchased enough so I wouldn't have to have a seam in it). Turned under one edge about 1/2" or so and sewed the zipper to it. Turned down the other edge to make a 3/4" casing hem for the dowel (or in your case the Red Snapper thingy). You could either serge, zig zag the edge or as I did, turned it under and straight stitched a narrow hem in when stitching the casing down. Very simple and quick. I didn't think to add a tape measure but that can be done easily. I just marked the center of each.

Pamela,

Sorry just got home. Maddie night and it is nasty out. OK on the leaders. I tried to just fold the fabric together and stitch the zipper with the teeth sandwiched in without pinning. Well that didn't work out so well. So I started over.

1. I cut the fabric into 15" widths. Laid it out on the panto side of my longarm table. I folded it in half being careful to match the cut edges and used a portable ironing board along the table.

2. I pinned the zipper in the middle. Make sure the teeth are inside facing the fold. Pin about every 4 or 5".

3. Now take it to your machine and stitch as close as you can (about 1/4") along the length of the zipper tape and backstitch at each end.

4. To turn it just reach you hand in the middle of the tube and go all the way to the other end. Pull the other end through until you have it all turned right side out.

5. Press your leader making sure that I had the zipper pulled out completely. Press well.

6. Stitched again running you foot along the edge nearest the zipper teeth (the part you just sewed).

7. Stitch 3/4" away from the folded edge.

8. Stitch the ends shut but don't stitch in the 3/4" area that the Red Snappers will go (ask me how I know)

9. Put in her red snappers and you're ready to go.

Let me know if you still need pictures. I have another set of zippers and I could do a quick sample up. If I take pictures now you would just see the finished leader.

I got mine made today, too. Then I loaded a baby quilt that I need to finish up and get in the mail for a new Great Niece. Anyway, the snappers worked really well. I'll be anxious to try a larger quilt on them.

Even though I have a 14' table, I just bought the 10' snapper set. I float my quilt tops, so only needed the snappers for the backing. I had plenty of tubes and one left over. So, I saved a little $$ there. :)

Archived