getting long tails of top thread pulled to the back

Catherine50

I posted about this yesterday, and have since tried many things to fix the problem. I have checked, and redone the timing. The bobbin area is clean, and the bobbin is in the correct way. It only seems to happen when going straight across, from left to right, when standing at the front of the machine. It happens when I slow down, or stop, but not when going a consistent speed. I've been using the baptist fan pattern, and it is happening at the bottoms, when changing direction. The stitch regulator is on when it happens. When going at speed, or on curves, the tension is good. The thread in these pictures is so fine in the bobbin, and bottom line in the top. I have a stockinette over the cone of thread. It will do the same thing with other threads as well. It sounds like the bobbin assembly is trying to take an extra stitch before starting to move again. The top threads, where this happens, are very loose. Does any one have any ideas of what is wrong? Do I need a new stitch regulator? I have a customer quilt that I have to do that involves a lot of straight line quilting between squares, and there is no way I can do it with this going on. To add to the frustration, although I have resized the picture, I can't seem to get it to upload. I keep getting the massage that the file is too big. However, I have a picture of the backing and the tthread tangles on my blog, if you go there. Please help!!!

I misread which thread was on top..sorry.

Is the bottomline catching on something either in the thread path...or as it is traveling around the bobbin area to pick up the bobbin thread?

I wonder if there could be lint or thread caught somewhere that is causing the problem. I find it hard to believe it could be a stitch regulator problem.

I have found with some types of batting (even more so on a flannel quilt) that lint build-up will happen in the bobbin finger with every row of quilting.

Instead of a pin though - I use the pick end of a plastic floss pick. I always have these in my cleaning bin of my tool box. Come in handy!! :cool:

Hope you have figured out your problem Cathy - is it better??

So sorry for your problems.

Since it happens as you slow down for a direction change, perhaps your bobbin is spinning instead of stopping, which throws out extra bottom thread and may snag the top as well. Check the backlash spring and pry the fingers out a bit more if they are flat. I can't think of what else is causing this. But the knots with the King Tut are caused by the same thing--over-spin of the bobbin. It's just that the Tut is so much thicker, you won't get a nest, just a knot.

Good luck and I hope your problem is resolved soon.

I just spent some time under the machine, watching as the thread goes around the bobbin assembly. I have discovered that the top thread is actually getting caught, and dragged in behind the bobbin, in between the stationary silver part, and the black part of the bobbin assembly, where it then, of course, breaks, but there is enough thread left in the needle to keep sewing, and leaves the mess on the back. That is why it is worse with the fine thread, than the thicker thread, which gets caught and forms a lump, but won't break, because it won't actually get dragged to the back. Diagnosis, I think I need a new hook assembly.

maybe not a new hook assembly but you may have to do some adjusting of the hook collar or the mag collar. I would check those before ordering a new hook assembly. If the mag collar is off the thread will tangle around the back of the hook assembly. From what you said sound like this may be the issue. Would be happy to help you with that if you need some help. The directions to adjust that are not in the manual

What kind of thread are you using?. I had this happen with glide thread. It is so slick it flew off the cone so I used a thread net and that helped a lot. Also make sure you are not winding to much thread on your bobbin that can do this too. I hope you are able to get this solved. There is nothing worse than having a customer quilt on and your machine goes crazy. Blessings...

I'm using bottom line in the top, (I know, I'm backwards, LOL), and So fine in the bobbin. It also does the same thing with Rainbows in the top. Jeri said something about a hook collar, or mag collar being the problem, and needing adjusting. I'm hoping he will send me the instructions on how to fix this. Either that, or I'll have to call on Monday.

If you need to see the mess of thread on the back of the quilt, there is a picture of it on my blog, the address is down in my signature line. The diagnosis of the mag collar being the problem seems to be correct. The hook is stopping quite far off to the right of centre. Thank you for your help.

Hope it is the solution. The photo would have been how it was tangeled in the hook assembly, I'd already checked your blog. Love your quilting bBTW. Glad to try to help, that's one of the great things about this forum. You can often get help when APQS isn't open.

Archived