Questions...and more questions

Like all of the rest of the people out there interested in starting a home quilting business I have a ton of apprehension as well as questions.

I am currently a stay at home mom and loving it. I am interested in a quilting business because it would allow me the freedom to work from home. I want to go into this with my eyes wide open; I am hoping someone can answer a few of my questions.

1. Time. How long does it take to quilt the "average" twin/queen/king size quilt? By average I mean simple i.e. meander, stipple etc.

2. What are realistic expectations as far as time to get the business up and running?

3. What kind of income you can generate? I know this is a big depends? I am looking for some idea of what to expect.

4. What are some of the ways to market yourself? I am thinking via quilt shops, word of mouth, and web site.

I will stop there for now. Thanks for the help

Guest Linda S

Hi Katie,

Welcome to the group. Your questions are great. APQS has a business planning packet that can really help you out with most of them. I would think that a queen sized quilt with a general meander could be done in about 3 hours (of course, that's because I'm a newbie and I need a little extra time to load my quilt and get everything just right). With experience you can do it quicker. If you're going to do custom work, it's going to take a lot longer.

Before I decided to do this, I called the local quilts shops (LQS) and asked if they would be willing to hang some samples and take some of my business cards. They were all willing. I've designed a website, but am re-designing it. I just placed an ad in the local quilt guild's show catalog. It will run right before my business opens. Hope the timing is good.

Best of luck! Keep asking questions. We'll do our best to help.

Linda

Hay Katie! Greetings from Colorado.

The ?'s you asked were covered in a presentation given at the APQS road show I attended last May. Now of course, APQS is motivated to sell their machines so their objective is to present the potential of the long arm business. Yet, from what I know of the area I live in, most of the data APQS presented was right on! :) So ask them to send you a packet that would include their presentation on starting a business.

Until you get it, think about this: Long Arm sewers in the US charge about .01 for a basic one square inch of quilting. For a crib quilt or wall hanging that is about $25.00, Standard is $40 a Queen is $ 70 and a King is $100. Profit is in how many average quilts you can do, overhead cost of each quilt and the time you have to give to both the quilting and the development of the business; as your skill increases, so does the real profit. Though the heavily stitched heirloom quilts seen at shops, shows and periodicals are glorious, they are seldom the means of dependable profit for Long Arm sewers.

There are many variations to this, because there are many variables in any business venture. Yet, making a profit by doing a skilled craft in your home generally follows your skill level and available time. When I was raising my children, I was a custom knitter using machines I sold, demonstrated at shows and gave classes in. Being home was both the objective and, at times, the biggest struggle, as finding un-interrupted time was never easy. Yet, that small business kept me involved with other creative women and did provide our family with much needed income. It also gave me confidence in problem solving and provided me with a creative task, that unlike dishes and laundry, offered real proof of completion.

That Said, Some Long Arm quilters, me included, are so compelled to have their own machine, that for them all the planning, practice, classes and seminars are a labor of love. :P Being able to earn enough to purchase the machine and more!.... Well that is just icing on the cake: D

Many Blessings in your quest Katie!

:D

Hi Katie!

I'm just starting out and definately understand your questions. I didn't get a chance to go to a roadshow, but went to the showroom and was given information there. Before going up there I kind of tested the waters. I take atleast one quilt class a year, just to keep motivated and be able to converse with adults!! I discussed the possibility of getting a machine with the girls and they were all excited about the prospect. I got my machine the end of July and have practiced on a few of my own quilts along with practice pieces. I'm now doing my second customer quilt, both in one week, and feel like I could probably make my machine payment by myself this month. I'm very excited about this prospect. If it hadn't been for the interest by the women that I take classes with I probably would have been more doubtful. I also belong to two quilt guilds and go to the monthly Thimbleberries. I would suggest doing some of the same, just getting out and meeting people, even if your not "advertising" your quilting business. I don't mark up my backing, batting or thread like has been suggested on this website. I figure that I'm trying to sell my quilting and my main expense is my machine. I have a 1 year old daughter and a 17 year old daughter and like being home, also living on a farm that takes up quite a bit of time. I still doubt myself, this is a huge expense, but it has been a fun ride so far. I'm in the middle of my building being built. My mille is in my house for the time being, but there is not enough room in here. That was another huge expense also. So actually I have two payments to make monthly. I don't expect to be able to pay for my machine within a year, although it would be nice, but the plan they give you doesn't take into consideration paying for your batting, backing, threads, pantos, toys, etc... Test your waters and go with your heart. Let us know what you think. I would be glad to talk to you if you want to. You can email me if so. Good Luck!!

It's always hard answering these kinds of questions because there are so many variables. I don't have as many connections as I used to, but I've asked alot of questions, and listen to what the other ladies on the boards have to contribute. You've even given ME a few ideas! My next project is a Thimbleberries Log Cabin!

KatieW --

Do get the APQS information -- it's a great company and they'll help you all they can at finding out what you need to know.

But if you still need to know more before making the big leap into that size of an investment, there are three books I got before my machine came and I recommend getting all three and reading them cover to cover. Two are by Carol Thelen: "Longarm Machine Quilting: The Complete Guide to Choosing, Using, and Maintaining a Long-Arm Machine" and "The Complete Guide to Running a Successful Quilting Business." Linda Taylor also has a comprehensive longarm quilting book out, "The Ultimate Guide to Longarm Machine Quilting." I went back to look things up in them over and over both before and while getting started, and I would never get rid of them -- I still look up something whenever I have a question. I like having two basic how-to books in case they have different advice, and while they both cover a lot, they each cover something the other doesn't, too. They have included answers to questions you'll never think of yourself before going into the business. You can get the books from online bookstores like amazon.com -- you may not find them at a local book store.

And yes, they do include basic information about really what you have to do to get started -- like how to develop your own order sheet that covers all you need to know from your customer -- as well as how to load a quilt on your machine. They're well worth what they cost.

I have no connection with any of the authors -- I just am glad to have all three books.

Mary Smart

South Dakota

Hi!

I too am a newbie, I purchased my machine in Dec. 2003. Started quilting for customers in Jan. 2004. I was afraid to take that big jump. I purchased a used machine. Ult. I with S/R Turbo. Which is working just Great for me. I was afraid I would not have enough work to make a profit. But, I was wrong. There seems to be enough work out there. I have not been without work as of yet. I am trying to do 2 to 3 queen size a week. Most of the work I am doing is custom. Reading the quilting books is Great advice. I refer to mine often. And learn alot. Where are you located? I am in Nebr.

Quilting Designs

Pam C

Hi there! I too am a new LA'er. Just started in July. I think the previous postings really are on target about challenges, obstacles and reality in regards to income. I haven't really done much official marketing yet, mostly word of mouth, your fellow quilting friends can be some of your best marketing tools. Work closely with local guilds and shop owners. I am having an open house / grand opening later this month which will show the machine and some of my work. I'm having refreshments and door prizes. I purposely scheduled the weekend after our local guild quilt show, another avenue for marketing. A book that I got before getting my machine was "How to start your own machine quilting business" by Gruntled Enterprises available on line at csmith@quilterscoupons.com

happy Quilting

I bought my Milli in February, got her at the end of April (I think - it's a blurr now!). Practiced, practiced, practiced, then opened my door for business. I put out business cards every place I could that sold fabric. Quilters hang out at all the fabric stores, not just the quilt stores!! I have a very good friend that let me quilt her quilts for half price. Then nothing. My husband was starting to squirm and I was trying to stay positive, but gotta admit it was difficult. Then all of a sudden, last week the calls started and they haven't stopped yet. Now I am shaking in my shoes. I thought you all were telling me stories to get me to buy a machine, but there is lots of work out there. I thought I would get work from my guild, but I find that they are not very friendly. My business card has been the key.

Mary Beth, you are so right....guilds don't seem to be very friendly, that is unless you are a long time member and have decided to do longarm work. The guilds here were very snooty to me when I first started and have since tried to get me to do their quilts, but by that time I had exclusively hooked up with a local quilt store and couldn't do outside work :D, or at least that's what I would tell them when they would beg me to do something that was a rush....So Sorry! I'm happy to hear that your door bell is ringing and you are now comfortable....yepper business cards and word of mouth have been my best bet for business. Good luck in the future.

Bonnie

Sometimes the guilds can be a problem. I went to our guild's meeting intending to join and the wouldn't let me until November! Something ridiculous about the prorating of the membership fee, which ends up to not be a proration at all. Anyway, when told that I was a new longarmer, most of them looked as though they had just been shot! I felt like saying, hold on girls! I'm only doing this part time -- I still have a full time job! I'm just here to take up the slack until I retire in 5 years. I'm not stealing your business so don't get your undies in a bundle! My goodness! Some gals have been real friendly, so are not happy to see me at all. Wait till they see how I quilt! Then they can decide if they should be very afraid or if they can relax! :P

Linda

Well I did it. We just got back from the show in Duluth where we purchased a Millinum.

I took my husband with me to "look" and compare. He has actually done a lot of the research and is learning a few of the terms :D We went back and forth in comparing the APQS and the Gammill and we went to Duluth to do some hands on.

The test drive went great and I really loved the feel of the Milli compared to the Gammill. However the most impressive thing were the people from APQS and their attitude and willingness to help.

Well I guess now the real work begins... finding the business. GULP

I am obviously a new member, just got my new Mill. on August 17th, and have put my first quilt on to complete the borders. My stippling looked pretty good.

One question....as custom quilting what exactly are you doing, mostly stippling. I need some ideas and ideas. :o

I want to start doing quilts for others but, I don't feel that confident yet. I need to find some new patterns and ideas. Any help.?

Barb

Katie - how wonderful! You must be so excited. Did you get to take in much of the show in Duluth? I wanted to go, but I'm going to Innovations at the end of the month and couldn't go to both. Congratulations on getting a great machine from a fabulous company. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Barb - I'm the queen of meander right now. Do you have the Pocket Guides by Darlene Epp? They are three little books that give you ideas for meanders, borders and edgings, and other freehand motifs. For three tiny little books, they are packed with ideas and give you ideas on how to draw them all so that they are easy to do on the machine. I can do several of the designs freehand now and am pretty comfortable with loops, loops and stars, loops and hearts, leaves, etc. I also have several pantographs I can do. Try visiting Willow Leaf Studio on the internet for some great pantos that are fairly easy for beginners. You'll be able to tell that the more intricate ones are for more advanced quilters. I'm now working on stencils, which I'm getting pretty good at, and some ruler work (which I need lots of work at!). The learning is all fun though. ;)

Linda

Yes, starting a business is SCARY- but like all scary things, you soon get used to it. Take your time, and be honest about your abilities. Customers will come around and be abound with their ideas of what they want. I like to keep my wife handy at these times as she has been quilting for a heck of a lot longer then I. You know, Rome wasn't built in a day. I don't beleive the Trump man got where he is in less then 5 years either. Anyway, I like spending the time on the machine, as my wife keeps me busy with her quilts when there are no customers.

Paul

• 1 year later...

I'm getting a Liberty (ships Dec1) and am also starting my own business here. I have been getting more and more excited as I read everyone else's posts on being new and all that. I am so excited I hardly know what to do! I have a tiny bit of experience (did 2 charity quilts on a Liberty) and instantly fell in love. I cannot wait to get the machine and start practicing. I have been going back and forth about getting business cards, but am now convinced. How long has it taken everyone, on average to get "up to speed" where you felt OK taking someone's quilt?

I am a newbie here, still trying to decide which LA to get, and from which company. I wish there was a consumers report type site that did ratings. It is so hard to figure out which one to go for. I know I want the top of the line, and I want to start a business, but I also want the best, and the most dependable, and has the best service and warranty, etc, ect. It is a scary step investing in something so expensive, just like buying a car. It is good to see you all love your machines.

I have been leasing time at a studio equipped with a Millie and am not only enjoying my quilting, but becoming more confident with skill advancement.

Another very nosy question (and one my mother will tell me is none of my business BUT), did any of you finance your longarm acquisition, and, if so, through whom? As I think we all agree, this is not an inexpensive venture and alternatives to full payment at purchase would make it a more tolerable approach.

I'd like to read about your thoughts on this aspect.

Deborah

Quiltingmamasita: While there is no "consumer report" per se, you can get a great deal of info by asking other longarmers. If I were trying to decide which machine to buy, here are some steps you might take/info you might use:

1. Most of us are extremely loyal to our brands .. not quite sure why but we will defend them just like we would our children. You should expect most of us to say nothing bad about "our" brands.

2. If you could find a longarmer that seems to think like you think (by reading posts, you can sometimes figure out which of us is someone you could meet and feel like you've known forever), write them and ask a million questions. Most of us are willing to share our knowledge pretty freely. Thanks Sherry -- you wouldn't believe how much I bugged Sherry when I first started and she was so kind and patient and shared so readily with me.

3. If you can find a longarmer who has switched from Brand A to brand B, pick their brain. Why did they change?

4. Try out as many machines as you can. The problem I have with this is that as a new longarmer, you may not even know what you're looking for. At shows, these machines are being used by so many different people, sometimes they mess with the tension and other issues. They are not always set like you would set your personal machine. When you ask a question, it's almost like talking to a used car salesman or a politician sometimes. After listening to the answer, you wonder what you actually asked. I have a friend here who owns Brand B and she often has her points rounded by the S/R. When I was in Nashville, I visited the Brand B booth and I asked them about that. The response "We're working on that!". I have another friend who complains about her machine and she blames the dealer for not teaching her how to use it. That's pretty crazy. The dealer can teach you some basics but you are pretty much on your own as to how far you want to take your quilting skills. You really must weigh all the pros and cons you hear.

5. As far as the warranty, I wouldn't get real fired up about that. Sure, it's nice to have a 3 or 5 or 10 year warranty but there's just not much that goes wrong with these machines that you can't fix yourself. My Millennium was a year old in July and I use it almost every single day -- sometimes 10 - 14 hours a day and I have yet to have a problem of any kind with it. Most any problems people have with machines happen when the machine first arrives and it seems to be either something that wasn't set quite right at the factory, something that jiggled loose during shipping or something that occurs simply because of lack of experience of the user. I'm not saying these are the ONLY problems but from what I hear on the various lists, this is what happens most of the time.

When you're asking other longarmers their opinions, ask them if they have pictures of their quilting you can see. Most of us have TONS of pictures. If someone is quilting 2 quilts per year and doing a basic panto, you might not want to put as much weight on their opinion as on the opinion of someone who is doing hundreds of quilts per year and lots of custom/heirloom work which really taxes the patience and limits of any quilter and their machine.

I don't think you'd be truly sorry with any machine you get. Even my friend with the round points does beautiful quilting except for an occasional (not always) round point. I do know longarmers with just about every brand and I know good quilters who love their brands and would buy the same machine all over again.

For me . . it's APQS and always will be. If you have specific questions you'd like answered, you can send me an e-mail - Judy@SunshineQuilts.com I'm not a dealer or paid by APQS (and I'm not saying the dealers aren't honest . . I'm just saying there's nothing in it for me to share my feelings about APQS) and I think I can be pretty objective.

Good luck with your decision.

These are all great posts, I may have missed it but also check to see how many longarmers are alredy in your area, look up on yahoo the longarm chat group, many longtimers there have seen their businesses drop by half because there are so many longarmers out there. Some are complaining about saturation, and frames like Grace Company supplies now are allowing the average homequilter to do their own quilts now so they are no longer sending quilts out.

It sounds like a good business for you since you are already a stay at home mom and any extra income would be good but if you were trying to make up an income as well as make payments on a machine that might be tough as well as stressful, you may want to look at a used APQS machine and if your business takes off you can trade it in for a fancier model,

When I was trying to run a business at home with little ones it was sometimes a battle because people around you might not understand you are doing a real busines that requires alot of work you will have to set boundries and time to quilt! will you have uniterupted time to quilt!

don't forget you have taxes to pay, strangers coming to your home, does your community allow for you to have a business at a home? Expenses of keeping an inventory. investments in time in going to the guild meetings? how about your home owners insurance will it cover your business and people coming to your home, many questions need to be asked, the books mentioned above are very good starts.

good luck in your decision!!

Susan

Hi everyone, I am also a newbe trying to get started. I do not have an APQS machine but I have learned so much from this forum. It is so nice of all you girls for sharing. I do have one question, do any you carry fabric to sell to customers. I am going to my first quilt market this week-end and I am thinking I would like to have a varity of nice fabric on hand but I don't want to do anything to undercut the quilt shops around. Thanks for your advice

Hi Deborah,

I have a Millie and a Liberty and I financed my Liberty.

US Bank is familiar with the APQS product and they have a one page form (very simple) and they will finance 80%. Just like getting approved for a car with very reasonable rates.

Another option to consider is renting out your machine. I rent out my Liberty and that pays for itself.

Angie

Archived