Do you ever try to get work done and other stuff gets in your way! Try living on a farm. Hubby's 93 year old uncle (we farm with him) drives in. Hubby is in town "30 miles away". His brother who lives up the road is in town "20 miles away. Said 93 uncle drives around barnyard doing looky loo which is fine. But as leaving he looks to left and proceeds to drop 2 wheels off the driveway which is full of snow and the driveway is icy.

He's stuck...93 years old...the temperature is 0 degrees with a windchill of -15. Put on my outdoor clothes while he is trying to use a scoop shovel to move some snow and get enough traction to drive out. I go out and stand around get our pickup and a chain ready to pull him out. Luckily he was finally able to drive out and didn't have a hear attack in front of me. ''' The man has a bad heart and an invalid wife he takes care of ''' I head back to the warmth of the house but am so cold my eyeballs literally ache. Oh the joys of whatever!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Cheryl...this weather and farming. Doesn't take a 93 yo uncle to make farm life miserable. It is so cold that I can't keep the baby pigs warm enough in the barn and then one of the heaters has to quit!! Outdoor livestock waterers freezing up etc...I understand how cold you were after being outside ready to help him.

Chin up!! They say this weekend will bring 30+ degree weather;);)

My 94 year-old mother lives with us. Wobbly, uses a cane; but thinks she wants to go down the basement stairs to do her laundry!! WHAT! NO WAY! If I have to put a lock on that door I will! Are you stupid??? (I did not say that to her!) I won't even let her wash my good china by hand because she shakes so badly.

That said; she does run the vacuum for me, dusts, does dishes everyday, and will start supper if I ask. Like peel potatoes or start rice or what ever. She even bakes bread and makes strudel!!! Besides, she's as sharp as a tack; most of the time. Except when she didn't know who "Gayle" was. She's my SIL who my mom has known for 30 years. That was scary.

So, yea, vent away. I just did!! lol

I so totaly relate to everyone's elderly relatives. My 75 yr old MIL is moving in with us in April (when her lease is up) and she and I already had a go around about when her moving day would be. She wants it to be during the week and I informed her that it will have to be on a Sat. because I run a business out of my house and there are too many elderly customers/quilters that come and go and all I need is for one of them to get hurt while my MIL's movers are comming and going. She kept insisting that the movers would not even be in that part of the house (where my studio is) but I kept trying to tell here that the movers would be going in and out of the front of the house to access the stairs to the loft and the foyer/ front of the house/driveway is where my customers come and go from...then she dismissed everything I was saying by telling me that she will check with the sales rep at her retirement community and see what she has to say what she can and can't do....huh? What the heck does that sales rep has to do with when my MIL has her movers move her into MY HOUSE! Then on Sunday she was over here for dinner and she was talking to my 10 yera old daughter Sara and she keeps pernouncing her name as "SAWA" (she has done this since Sara was a baby) and something in my DH just snapped and he just let it loose on his mother, told her that she was not, and that he would not tolerate her talking "baby talk" to his children that they are no longer infants etc...

It is going to be very interesting once she moves in, oh and we have started noticing ever since my FIL passed away 3 yrs ago that her thought process is not as sharp as it use to be. Alot of times she just talks in circles, never getting to the point and when you try to have a conversation with her after a few minutes she gets that deer in the head light look on her face, sort of like she hears you but nothing is making sense to her. DH thinks that she is just getting old and that this is just part of the aging process but my 95 year old grandmother is sharp as a tack, a little slower these days but her mind is very sharp still. So I think we are just going to have to watch my MIL and wait and see if things get worse with her state of mind after she moves in or better.

Joann good luck! I have to say that I thought by now things would smooth out for me but they haven't. MIL thinks that because we're home we are there to cater to her. She is truely making me crazy. I hope your situation is much better than mine is.

LinneaMarie - can I send my MIL down for some training? She doesn't dust, cook, clean or any of the like. I do make her dust her own living room and bedroom and she does her laundry. Other than that we do it all. Honestly I don't want her cooking my dinner and I don't want her doing my laundry but I sure wish she would take care of her stuff. There is no reason why she can't vacuum her living room and bedroom. My vacuum is "too different" or my stove is different. The bottom line is she wants to be waited on and thinks she deserves it now that she is "old." She told my mother & Aunt & Uncle that.

We don't let her go up and down the stairs alone either. She is always saying how shakey she is. She has to walk the stairs to take a shower though.

My MIL came to live with us when she was 85 and stayed for several years before moving back down to southern CA to live with her daugher. It was a great time because I had some great times with her...but it was also the most trying time...she had given up driving a car and settled in to being completely dependent and demanding on us. It was a complete lifestyle change for her and us. I'm glad to know that I won't have to make that decision ever again because both sets of our parents are gone. I will sit my children down and have a verrrrryyyy long talk with them as I get older. Maybe that should be sooner...LOL.

Sylvia, I'm with you. My DD said she was just going to put us in a room and tell everybody "well, they didn't look that hungry!" She does not want to waste her inheritance on taking care of us. And she is going to burn my stash (Ha -- till she finds out how much it's worth!)

And I don't know what she thinks -- WHAT INHERITANCE!! LOL

Kenna, good idea to call your daughter and warn her, I should get mine thinking about that...........they would take it as a threat.......

On the other side, I only have my dad left, he is just 75......I was really close to both grandmothers (passed at 87 and 93), my grandfather ( passed at 102) and my mom (passed at 65) I miss them terribly so enjoy while you can even as bad as it can get.........sheila

I have already told my kids "sorry" for what I may do when I get older! All three daughters say they are taking me to a nursing home far away and leaving me!!!!!

My Mom is 87 and lives with me. She doesn't drive anymore and I think that is a good thing. She worries about everything and I go to my sewing room to relax and to talk to my machines.......and vent!

Heidi! :P:P:P Your MIL isn't even that old! Not to me anyways. Of course, my grandmother on my Dad's side liked to be 98, and all her relatives were in their 100's when they died. So I think 78 is young! I hope I am still doing and learning at that age!

Did you see the article in AQS magazine about Millie Sorriels?? (sp?) She's 80!

Originally posted by LinneaMarie

Heidi! :P:P:P Your MIL isn't even that old! Not to me anyways. Of course, my grandmother on my Dad's side liked to be 98, and all her relatives were in their 100's when they died. So I think 78 is young! I hope I am still doing and learning at that age!

Did you see the article in AQS magazine about Millie Sorriels?? (sp?) She's 80!

Mmmm I can't type what I'm thinking! She acts like she is 100 or more!

Elmer and I have decided we are going to work on our grandkids. Both of his sons and my daughter get this evil glint in their eyes when they say "sure we will take care of you". Then they always start that "remember when" stuff. I know most of the bad stuff never happened but for some reason they think they can remember all these mean things that were done to them as children! Nope, we are going to work on the grands because the kids can't be trusted:P

Heidi, I need all the luck that I can get ;)my MIL has already said that when she moves in she is planning on getting my DH to do yoga with her (that will never happen), and she informed my 19 yr old that she plans on introducing her to movies from the 40's and my DD told her you can try but don't count on it. :D Also DH, me and the kids live in a state of sarcasim we love to take little playful jabs at each other, it makes us laugh. But from DH says his mom never was good at taking or giving sarcastic remarks done in jest and she's not use to alot of noise, another thing that is quite common in my house. Oh and she LOVES playing her classical music loud on her cd player, DH told her that when she moves in that we are buying her an I-Pod so she can listen to it all she wants and not have it interfere with others that live in the house (which the rest of our music taste goes from country, classic rock, hip-hop to rap). She told us that it would be a waste of money because she wants to keep her music the way she has always listened to it. :o Good thing my quilt studio has a door, with a lock! LOL :P:D:P

Well, I just had to laugh! We used to have an old neighbour who would tour around at inopportune times and occasionally get stuck in a field. ( usually in wet Spring snow ) He also had a very dodgy heart. Anyway, when we went out we kept an eye out for Hans and if we saw him in a bad situation we would either pull him out or take him home until conditions improved. These are the best stories, quite aside from the aggravation they cause at the time. I think old people who do what we think are foolish things are trying to keep up their worthy lives as long as possible. It must be very difficult to lose strength and know there is only one end to the story.

Sandra - I laughed out loud at your kids' saying they were going to lock you in a room and burn your stash. If they are that funny you don't have to worry.

Now - we look after a lot of things for my mom and dad in law and there are things that make us impatient. But... my dear Mom died when she was 60 and never met my children . That was 31 years ago and I still miss her.

Sylvia

Originally posted by mrsbishwit

Heidi, I need all the luck that I can get ;) Good thing my quilt studio has a door, with a lock! LOL :P:D:P

Joann I'm rooting for you. I can't even imagine if I had kids at home all the time. At least your MIL talks to your children. Mine is decided that she will no longer acknowledge my daughter because when my daughter comes over to see us she doesn't go running into MIL's living room. Now mind you that she can get up and come out but she expects that my daughter owes it to her somehow. That woman has never been a grandmother to my children. Not even a birthday card, ever!!!! The other day she made a point to come out and yell hello to Maddie who was coloring with my daughter and she did not say one word to my daughter. I told hubby next time she does it I will so embarrass her. She can move out if she keeps it up because she can do all she wants to me but don't mess with my kids. THis mama bear will get real ugly. She will learn the easy way or the hard way that it is not ALL about HER!

Listen, I told Buffy my only daughter, that when I get old I will have to move near (not in the house with) her. She has a 1100 sq ft house behind their house that I plan to use. I told her she'd have to keep me in food, clean clothes ect. I told her I'd make her life hell if she let me go dirty or hungry. I think she believes me! I told her if I died out there I'd haunt her beyond the grave! I wouldn't DARE allow Meredith to try to take care of me. She'd put something in my coffee!!! At least we can laugh about it now!!!