VENT VENT VENT

Couple of pieces of advice that might help. Introduce all those MIL to 1) Forums online that they might be interested in & teach them how to use the computer, if needed. I know this will be trying, but worth it. Maybe they'll get as addicted as we are & leave everyone alone. 2) I-Pod's all around, they get to listen to their stuff & you can block out their stuff. 3) Put them to work.....if you find enough odd jobs for them to do they'll either feel useful & love it or they'll hate it & find ways to avoid you when you get the "I have a job for you" look.

As for kids, we have 1 that says we can come live with Her, 1 that says She'd rather pay to have us live somewhere else, we'd be buried alive in the hoard if we lived with our son and another daughter is just starting out with a young family & I want to stay Grandma, not have to be the one to discipline, so that one is out. I actually think that I'd prefer assisted living or an elder community. I think I'd rather enjoy being around people my own age & of similar interests, not to mention don't most of those villages/buildings have a community center or place where you can get a quick meal if you don't want to cook. That would be quilting/crafting heaven - no kids, no lawn care or snow removal & someone to cook for me when I wanted. Sign me up! The last thing I want is to be a burden on my kids or ever have them feel like I'm a dottering old bag wreaking havoc on their life.

Side note: I'd have my MIL move in with me any day of the week. She's awesome!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Robin

And one thing I know for sure...if I ever worry about my every bowel movement and what time I had one or didn't have one...just shoot me!!

How about sitting at the dinner table eating; and my mother says, "Well, do you have hemorrhoids?"

Jesus H Ch****! Really? Is it ANY of your business? And do you have to ask while we are eating? :mad::mad::mad:

Why do old people feel the need to talk about this stuff???

Originally posted by LinneaMarie

How about sitting at the dinner table eating; and my mother says, "Well, do you have hemorrhoids?"

Jesus H Ch****! Really? Is it ANY of your business? And do you have to ask while we are eating? :mad::mad::mad:

Why do old people feel the need to talk about this stuff???

You guys are killing me!!!! :D:D:D:D

My hairdresser just showed me a note from another one of her clients explaining what the doctor found on her last visit. Apparently, this need to share is universal.

Thank you all so very much for the laughter. It doesn't make the issues go away, but dang, it sure helps.

YOU GUYS ARE HILARIOUS!!!!! I keep coming back to this topic because it is just so funny. My mother spent a gorgeous sunny afternoon on a beautiful, stunning lake in N. Idaho a few years back describing in full detail all of her teeth surgeries, gum problems (in graphic detail), sun allergies and what it does, and every other intimate detail of her personal health issues, which I won't even bother to go into. All this while out in the most stunning scenery God created. Did she notice? No. Did she notice my eyes glazing over? no. It's all good. Love her anyway. My dad on the other hand tells me nothing, I find out through the grapevine. What do you mean you have a drain tube in the back of your head. When did that happen and why? What do you mean you have gangrene in your toe from the diabetes issues? Were you going to mention that? What do you mean you had surgery yesterday and didn't call for a ride home? My mom drove in that trafific and I am only 30 minutes away? Serioiusly?????

So,.....please just shoot me when I get there.

Bobbette, we all make mistakes. What's cool is that we are WOMEN. We recover and we get stronger and better. I am in the best years of my life an it aint cuz o' no man....not that I never want one again, but right now I am just fine thank-you-very-much!!!!

Okay, here are a couple more for you...

My mother, bless her heart, will get picky about what to eat sometimes claiming that this food or that food makes her gassy. I swear to god, at this point in her life everything makes her gassy. I think tea makes her gassy because that woman could power an energy plant if we could just figure out a way to bottle it.

My dad, who passed away almost 3 years ago, was walking through the living room, passed some gas (loudly) and then announced that "OH!!! That was a wet one!". Really? Did you really think I needed and wanted to know that???? Can't you just go take care of it without announcing it to God and everyone?

I am not going to survive their old age.

Still giggling...

I do hope, though, that at that age we all have our sight and some brain cells so we can comprehend a quilt pattern and we should all be fine. I'm sure my stash won't be gone by then! I think a lot of this focusing too much on bodily functions comes from sheer boredom.

Another thing I love to do is jigsaw puzzles and as long as I have a hammer for those pieces that I know will fit...I should be happy as a clam.

Take care girls!

Just read Jessica's post and had an idea...maybe when we are old we could all go to the same assisted living or retirement complex and quilt our golden years away together!! That would be a blast!

And anybody who even mentions their bowel movements...they are out of there!!

Robin,

I think you're onto something. Quilting and not discussing our bodily functions or the lack there of! When I'm home in the morning MIL has to tell me that she did a sponge bath and she washed down there! Do I really need to know? Tonight she tells me that she doesn't have one of her pills for morning in her pill box. Now I count them 3 times so I know it was there. I ask her, "Are you sure you didn't drop it?" No she says it wasn't in there. I said are you sure you didn't take it twice one morning? She says, "I take enough pills a day why do I need to take them twice?" Well it has to be one or the other because I know it was there. I'll have to give her pills only for the day before too long. It is the arguing that I can't stand. It of course was me that did not include them. Earlier this week she told me the same thing and it was still in the pill box but she was 100% sure I just didn't put it in there. She doesn't want to admit that she is getting forgetful and that is why I took over the pills. I put them in the box 7 days 4x's each day plus the two for the bedroom that she takes early am and late pm. Boy how I wish she had had a daughter!!!!

Heidi,

In all seriousness, is there not anyway that she could be placed in assisted living. Clearly this is getting to be too much for you and maybe she would be happier with people her own age to discuss hemorrhoids with?! Okay, now I'm giggling again. Sorry...I tried to be serious...

Sheryl,

"Getting to know" the boys doesn't mean supporting adult men!

my brother is a welder. He just bought his second new Mustang.

son will figure it out when he figures out work = toys.

kinda ticks me off when kids these days think they're too good to work. ...but it's ok for mom and pop to pay the bills!?

My work history has been long and varied. Among those jobs, Shining boots, washing cows, detailing semi trucks (ever WAX a WHOLE semi?) and worked in a cabinet shop where I lifted pallet upon pallet of lumber all day. Didn't NEED to go to the gym...!!!

There's probably no shortage of snow around....!

Originally posted by Robin

Heidi,

In all seriousness, is there not anyway that she could be placed in assisted living. Clearly this is getting to be too much for you and maybe she would be happier with people her own age to discuss hemorrhoids with?! Okay, now I'm giggling again. Sorry...I tried to be serious...

I think this would be the best but she can't afford it. It is very expensive around here and Medicare won't pick that up. Basically there is nothing really wrong with her. She does need somebody to keep an eye on her meds now and she gets shakey feeling so we won't let her go up and down the stairs while we're not here. She just needs a major attitude adjustment. She thinks that if we don't come running into her living room we are ignoring her. She can get up and come say hi just as well as I can. It is all just very frustrating and way too much information!

UH???? Where is HER son in all this? Does he travel a lot and not around that you are saddled with all the work. There are ways to get her into assisted living or something. What about Title IX? there are several people at the place Mom lives who are on government help. Maybe worth checking into to save YOUR health . :(

Linda,

Hubby helps when he is around and does do stuff for her. He is the one that takes her shopping because I won't. His job does require him to travel and that always leaves me home alone. She doesn't show her teeth unless he isn't around. You know it is really funny when I think about it. She never had a good friend that she went shopping with or talked on the phone with. She always expected us to call her and she rarely ever called us. I think she called us twice during our 22 years away from home. I really think she is out to make me the enemy so I kick her out and then she can be pittied. I know that it is important to my husband that we be there for her and that is the only reason I keep putting up with it. I love him more than anything and I know that if the shoe were on the other foot he'd do the same for me.

Oh, so glad to hear he is there to help as much as possible. I know that is a very tough road for you both to deal with. Too bad she has to be that way when she COULD have a wonderful home with the two of you, if she would just behave herself and not make life miserable for you.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't let me do that to my kids !!!!!!!:(:P:(:P:(

Archived