Why so much $$$ for the Bliss

jakrnsewing

Mine is a 2009 also. The cost for Bliss is the same, I think, no matter the age of our machines. I opted for the M&M wheels. Pricey, but not near as much as the Bliss. And the wheels are AWESOME!! Love them! I loved the ER wheels too, but the M&M are much better.

So $240 vs $3,000? I went the $240 route, but everyone seems to love the Bliss too.

I would like an IQ, but if I understand correctly you HAVE to buy and put the ER wheels on. No thanks.

The m&m's are an easy install and they are nice. I too have a 2009 Millie and it is very frustrating when you buy something so expensive and find out in a short amount of time that you should have waited. Then to find out you will have to pay 3 times more for the upgrade than you would have if you had waited is ANNOYING!:(:(

I felt the exct same way when I first heard the price to upgrade to Bliss. I was like WTF??!!??!! I just bought a new machine and no-one told me this change was coming. Was I ever happy to figure out that I could use the M&M's on all 8 wheels. I upgraded to the M&M's months ago and could not be happier with their performance. They are a huge step up from the old wheels. I thought I had out smarted APQS and got myself a sweet ride for 1/10 of the price of Bliss.

A few months later a lady that rents space in my studio for her longarm bought A new Millie with Bliss. I have quilted about six quilts with her machine and have to say that Bliss rocks! Well worth every penny if you value your body and its long term health. I felt less stress in my shoulders and hips after 6hrs of quilting with Bliss than I do in just an hour with my machine and the M&M's. I can also stitch far more accurate straight diagonal lines with bliss. Ditchwork is now a breeze when I use her machine.

I just bought a new Lenni with Bliss to replace my rental Lenni and can't wait to get it. I will let you know if my clients who rent the lenni notice a difference. That will be the true test for me.

When looking at the price of the $1000 bliss upgrade with a new machine compared to the $3000 upgrade for current owners, consider that some of the $2000 difference is made up for because they do not have to supply the original standard table. What do you think your standard rails and carriage would cost to order all by themselves? My guess is about $2,000. So Bliss rails and carriage upgrade would make perfect sense at $3000. Being only $1000 more than the standard table. It all evens out in my eyes.

I will be ordering Bliss for my Millie too as soon as I save enough $$$.

just my two cents...

Matt- you hit the nail right on the haed. I also went the M&M route, which was great but decided to go ahead and make the jump to Bliss. Bliss is in it's own catagory! Hands down, the best rail system I've ever played with. I think the M&M wheels should be standard with all new machine purchases and have the Bliss as an upgrade. Just my thoughts.

A big frustration for me has been not being told by APQS about upgrades that were obviously in the works and coming soon. I purchased my Freedom the summer of 2007 and they introduced the new lighting and electronics in the 2008 models. APQS did offer a special trade-in at that time, but I had just bought my 2007 -- could not afford to add more money for a 2008. Then along came glide, which I would love to have, but it can only be put on 2008 and newer machines. There also is no way to upgrade to the new lighting.

I have removed the florescent light bar that obstructed my view and rigged up my own lighting, created and added a light bar over the top of my table, added the hydraulic lift ($1500), changed out my wheels for Edgeriders, rigged up a solution to the cord dragging on the ground. Most of these ideas came from members on the forum who generously shared their solutions to some of the problems they were having. Would be nice (and maybe profitable?) if APQS would acknowledge some of the inherent problems with 2007 and older machines and come up with solutions for existing owners, not just new buyers or owners who can afford to sell their machines and buy newer APQS models.

Being loyal to APQS and their terrific service and super nice staff can only go so far. There are some owners out there who feel like APQS hasn't been loyal to them when it comes to upgrades. I love my Freedom SR and will continue on with it, probably replacing my ER wheels with the new wheels later this year. I just plain can't afford the Bliss upgrade and can't get glide. I have too much invested in my machine to take the loss I would incur in trading up or selling and buying a new Freedom with the upgrades. And even if I did sell my baby, I would owe it to myself to check out the other brands to see what they had to offer and at what cost. Unfortunately, I think that the inability to have glide and improved lighting, combined with the $3000 cost for Bliss has caused some APQS owners to sell their machines and go with other brands.

Sorry, I have probably just opened a can of worms. Don't get me wrong -- I do love my machine and appreciate and feel loyalty to APQS. But there are some problems that, if addressed, might help many existing owners remain loyal in the future.

What Matt said is correct. When someone orders a new machine without the Bliss system they are still getting the new table rails and carriage. If an existing owner wants a Bliss system they have to replace the "old" style rails and carriage. That sets the difference in price. Would I like a Bliss system for $1000.00, oh yes. But in the end like ANY other product when new and improved finally are ready for market it usually cost the consumer more. Regardless how long you have had the "old" style.

Now having said that until I can purchase the Bliss system The M&M wheels are amazing. I could not believe the difference in them compared to the other brand I had.

Dear All: Read this thread with interest, I have a late 2008 Milli, no glide , no Bliss. I was probably one of the first to try the Bliss at Paducah, loved it and started to save. I really look at the Milli just like a Jeep. It comes out, and next year another comes out with upgrades available with it. No one complains that they can't put such and such on, if they really want it, they trade it in for another....With the APQS people we have a really great opportunity, they are willing to retrofit the machines they are able to, for what is probably a nominal profit to them. Owners get the upgrades without the hassle of resale, and probably lose far less in the total transaction. With regard to new options being available, I'm sure there are always some who are caught at "year end" but that is no different from any other product.

I haven't got my Bliss yet, still patiently saving, a difficult thing to do with today's economy, husband told to retire, and last 2 of 4 kids finishing college. But I count myself lucky to be able to save for an upgrade instead of having to buy a whole new machine. With regard to the Glide feature, several owners have said they will do this when their machine goes in for Spa week, I think that's a great plan, and hope to be able to do that also.

It's easier for me to see positive progress for the conversion to Bliss in my little book that says how much I've saved, than to bemoan how much it costs or should I have waited 2 more years. Positive vibes are always to be sought after...

Smiling while sewing is one of the reasons I do it :cool: Pat

Pat, you might want to try M&M wheels while you are saving up for Bliss. M&M wheels all the way around is pretty darn comparable to Bliss ( just my opinion). On Bliss the M&M wheels are what is on the carriage, so if you like how it feels forward & back, you'll get that same feeling on the length of the table by adding M&M wheels all the way around your machine.

I looked at adding Bliss & thought that I would try M&M wheels first since what I really liked the best what the feel at the carriage ( forward & back). Also spending $240 was a great investment to see if that would do it for me. It did. As a Rep, I'll probably add a Bliss machine at some point, but for right now I'm perfectly happy by adding M&M wheels.

Carol,

This is why even as a dealer I sort of took a bit of a wait & see approach. I'm generally not overly conservative, but part of the decision for me would be would I upgrade & make my current Millie, which I really love (best of the three Millies that I've had), trade this one in for a new machine, or keep both the Millie & Lenni that I have & add a 3rd machine. 3 machines is sort of hard to justify when you don't quilt for customers any longer.:o They are used for my own quilts & to test out new designs. The M&M wheels were a good way to get the feel that I wanted & be able to take some more time to make a decision that would take a larger investment.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after reading this, I am really glad I opted to get the Bliss system when I purchased my milli. I really toggled back and forth on whether it was worth extra $1000.00 or not. Reading all of these comments, I guess it was money well spent.

That being said, I'm not too excited about the glide. Of course I have had some issues with the machine stalling, so that may be affecting the way the glide works, but I'd just rather quilt with no stitch regulator, than to mess with the glide.

The jeep analogy is a good one. Computers, phones, cars,... no matter what you buy, the better options are always available about 1 week after you finally decide to buy. :)

Just wish I could get some answers about the stalling thing. I can't call during the day because of no personal phone calls at work, but I can be on this blog all day. How's that for illogical rules! My attempts at emailing have gone unnoticed, and while all the tips I got from the blog have been good and something worth learning it still has not helped the problem. Oh well, this really did stir up issues didn't it.:P

Archived