Open Toe Hopping Foot?

TracyC

Hi Tracy (Your site is great!)

APQS does not offer an open-toe foot but many have altered an original by either grinding down a dip in the front of the foot with a Dremel tool, or actually cutting out an area in front. A cut-out foot will limit it's use with rulers but will, of course, widen your vision field for precision quilting.

Also, from a previous discussion about this topic, a hopping foot is expensive and a chore to replace so whatever you have on your machine will need to be used for all quilting.

Someone here who has tried this may offer to alter one for you if you ask. The home office doesn't approve this type of foot, but you can do whatever you like!!

Did I mention that I love your site? Well, yes I did! (Signing up for the newsletter is a great way to keep up on sales--like Superior thread and great patterns--plus Tracy offers coupons regularly. Just a happy customer.);)

Thank you Linda! I appreciate the input and advice. I hope someone who has altered their foot will chime in about their experience. Also, thanks very much for the kind words about our website.

Cheryl, for me the advantage of an open foot is a more open field of vision. Having a section of the foot open not only would allow me to see what is hidden by the height/shadow of the foot, it would more light inside the foot and would help my old eyes when I want to do precision quilting. I would not use an open toe foot for tacking down 3D elements, when quilting from the back (pantos) or in situations where a fold of fabric might catch on it.

Hi Tracy, I cant help you with the open toe foot....still waiting for APQS to develop one. Wonder if ther is anyone out there who could design a stem for our hopping foot so we could interchange feet..something like a DSM has. Wouldnt that be a plus for us!!! Tracy, I love your site, newsletter and the bargains I find there!!!!

• 1 year later...

poke with Dawn mid May 2012. According to Dawn, a revision of the new open toe hopping feet would be available mid June 2012. Have send an email and a vmail to Dawn as to status. I will be first in line for this product!

Sharon

Prescott, AZ :)

Sharon,

The "high profile" open toe foot is available now and has been for six months or so. There is a hold on the "lower profile" feet, as APQS is re-designing the shaft for those. You can order the new foot directly from APQS or through your local Rep. Have fun with it!

Hi Sharon,

I left you a voicemail back today:) I have you on my "short list" of those wanting the feet once they become available again! Just to clarify, we've temporarily suspended production of all the feet, including the tall ones Barb mentions, just to keep everything straight for our customers and to make it easier for the machinist to figure out how to adapt the feet correctly for all versions going forward. He's nearly there...but I'd rather it be done correctly for all versions of the machines first.

We'll keep you posted! :)

Originally posted by DawnCavanaugh

Just to clarify, we've temporarily suspended production of all the feet, including the tall ones Barb mentions, just to keep everything straight for our customers and to make it easier for the machinist to figure out how to adapt the feet correctly for all versions going forward. He's nearly there...but I'd rather it be done correctly for all versions of the machines first.

Ooops, that's what happens when I talk out of turn!! Sorry for the confusion, Dawn and everyone!:(

Dawn, thanks for your vmail earlier today. Thank you! Totally on board for the new open toed hopping feet. I KNOW it will be well received by the APQS community. Please put your foot in the back of the engineers! Cheers!

Sharon

Prescott, AZ:D

Originally posted by alnaquilts

Hi Dawn,

So what does this mean for those who have already purchased the new feet? Is there a design change, or is this a new foot? Will the feet already produced fit future APQS machines too?

It is my understanding that they are going to make it "right" with everyone who purchased the feet earlier! They just didn't want a pandamonium of responses flooding the posts.

• 1 year later...

Ann there is a set of feet with two open toe feet. One is low sided for doing applique work the other is high sided that you can also use a ruler with it.

If you Millenium has a split shaft to the hopping foot bar,  ie two allen keys, at the back then you can purchase the additional feet.

If it doesn't have the split shaft then you can change the hopping foot to the split shaft but it requires a bit of work, or send it back to the factory to be done.

Archived