Update on Pilot FriXion Pens

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

You may all remember the discussion about the new FriXion Pens made by Pilot Pen. They disappear with heat, either by rubbing with the eraser on the pen or by using an iron. There is a slight residue (clear) left behind, but we have found that it comes out with synthrapol. The big question was, is the chemical in the pen and any possible residue that does not wash out, likely to degrade fabric over time? Well, I called and asked to talk to someone about the chemicals in FriXion pens and was told that was proprietary information. Sigh. I explained that I did not need to know the precise chemical make-up of the pens, I simply needed to know if there was anything in them that was likely to erode fabric over time. About the best I could get, and it seems to ease my mind, is that the ink in the pens is not acid-based and will not harm fabric. The only caution is that it is not archival ink -- because it disappears! Which is what we want!! I think I'm going to test them out on a small wallhanging or something of the sort. If I like the results after ironing and then washing the quilt in synthrapol, I will rejoice in a great new tool!

Linda

P.S. Someone on another list just told me that Sharon Schamber recommended using these. That's good enough for me!

• 2 months later...
Guest Linda S

Actually, I've done a couple of tests with them, and they don't ever completely disappear. That ink, I think, will always be there. I've written on fabric, ironed it off, put it in the freezer, and it comes back. I've written on fabric, ironed it off, washed it in Synthrapol, put it in the freezer, and it comes back. I've also done the same with Retayne, and it always comes back. Now, I'm not inclined to put my blankies in the freezer, and I'd probably use this on some of my own quilts, but I don't think I'd use it for customers, unless I had discussed all the possibilities with them and they were cool with it.

Kristina,

One of the quilt shops I used to go to in Utah had a bunch of pens in a jar near the cash register. Apparently, one of the disappearing ink pens ended up in the jar and they finally realized it when they balanced their cash register at the end of the day and found a bunch of totally blank checks. :P They were able to call the customers and get them to come back in and use a real pen.

Originally posted by Calicoquilter

Kristina,

One of the quilt shops I used to go to in Utah had a bunch of pens in a jar near the cash register. Apparently, one of the disappearing ink pens ended up in the jar and they finally realized it when they balanced their cash register at the end of the day and found a bunch of totally blank checks. :P They were able to call the customers and get them to come back in and use a real pen.

Oh how funny!:P:P:P:P

Archived