Superior Top Thread Tension Gauge

Guest Linda S

I've seen a couple of posts on another list that said the folks who had them really like them. I've been thinking of getting one myself, for when I'm not using Glide.

Originally posted by Linda S

I've seen a couple of posts on another list that said the folks who had them really like them. I've been thinking of getting one myself, for when I'm not using Glide.

so Glide thread is that good that it doesn't need tension adjustments, please tell me yes! ;)

jackie, my experience with Glide thread has been extremely good. I am using it today on an Asian quilt and the gold is spectacular! And finding the correct tension is very easy. No tension adjustments? Not quite, but getting it right is oh-so-easy! I always fiddle with the tension to be sure I have found that 'sweet spot'. And I prefer winding my own bobbins rather than use the Delights bobbin. I've had a few mishaps with the Delights and find that when I wind my own, the quilting goes better. I won't get rid of the Delights I have but I don't think I'll be ordering any more. Just my own preference at this point.

I used the Glide once on top and also wound my own bobbins with it for the same quilt. My experience was the thread continued to spin off the bobbin after I stopped stitching. I had to stop, pull the excess bobbin thread off the bobbin and re-set it. I didn't get a lot of the Glide on each bobbin and each time it continued to spin after stopping there were several yards that had to be pulled off. It was quite a bother, but the thread looked beautiful both top and bottom. Has anyone else wound their own bobbins with Glide and what was your experience?

Guest Linda S

Jackie - I've found I rarely need to adjust my tension with Glide, but I always run a test patch on each and every quilt. Just habit I think, but I'm sure the first time I didn't test, I'd have a problem. Part of the formula for the best tension is the magna glide bobbins. Their center core has a magnet in it. You take the backlash spring out of your bobbin case, put the bobbin in with the magnet on the inner side and go from there. The magnet prevents the bobbin from spinning out of control, like the experience Carmen and Angie had. I have wound my own Glide bobbins and used the teflon gaskets in the case and been fine, but I definitely prefer the magnetic bobbins.

Originally posted by Linda S

Jackie - I've found I rarely need to adjust my tension with Glide, but I always run a test patch on each and every quilt. Just habit I think, but I'm sure the first time I didn't test, I'd have a problem. Part of the formula for the best tension is the magna glide bobbins. Their center core has a magnet in it. You take the backlash spring out of your bobbin case, put the bobbin in with the magnet on the inner side and go from there. The magnet prevents the bobbin from spinning out of control, like the experience Carmen and Angie had. I have wound my own Glide bobbins and used the teflon gaskets in the case and been fine, but I definitely prefer the magnetic bobbins.

Thanks Linda, I have purchased the magna glides to try them, thanks for the explanation of what to do to the bobbin case..

Archived