Magna Glide Bobbins/Glide Thread

I'm confused after reading the thread about Superior's Top Tension tool. The discussion was on Glide thread and about bobbins.

What is a Magna Glide bobbin. Is it something that will fit in a Millie? Is it something you wind yourself or a pre-wound. I didn't quite follow the discussion on how to handle the Glide thread if you usually wind your own bobbins.

Magna Glide bobbins come in two kinds....classic, which for the Millie (L size) have 135 yards of thread on them. The thread is like Bottom Line..a thin thread. The drawback is they only come in black or white.

They also make magnetic core bobbins with Glide thread on them. They come in many colors, but they only contain 72 yards of thread.

Or, you can wind your own bobbins with Glide thread. They will, of course, not be the magnetic core ones.

You can go to their website for more information. Its:

www.bobbincentral.com

Cheryl, I did a little experiment when I got my new Freedom SR. I had always used Superior Super BOBs (prewound with Bottom Line thread) and had pretty good luck with them. So I quilted a table runner with Aurifil top thread in pink and a cream Super BOB bobbin. The tension was pretty good except where I made quick direction changes. In those areas, the top thread would pull to the back, no matter how I adjusted the tension.

Next, I used a Magna-Glide bobbin, again with cream thread. I did not change anything else. Guess what? There were absolutely NO pokies on the back!

Finally I put on a practice piece and really put the bobbins to the test. I used BLACK top thread and WHITE bobbin thread on muslin. Again...absolutely perfect tension.

I am totally sold on the Magna-Glide bobbins, even if there are only 72 yards on a bobbin. I would suggest you buy some and do the test for yourself and see what you think!

Guest Linda S

Magna Glide bobbins ROCK! I've not had such reliable tension from any other bobbin. As a matter of fact, I WOULD NOT use prewounds before I got these. I had used another brand and every time I'd hit a sharp point or very curvy design, I'd end up with a wad of gopher guts on the back of my quilt. I was given some Magna Glide bobbins at Spring Quilt Market 2007, and one day, when wanting to practice a certain design, I decided to be lazy and just pop one of those in instead of winding my own bobbins. I was absolutely blown away by the beautiful, steady tension. I rarely use anything else now.

I think we need to get some clarification of yardage from Fil-Tec. My bulk Magna Glide bobbins say they have 135 yards on them (black and white). I see the Delights (Magna Glide in 48 popular colors) say 72 yards. At any rate, they last a lot longer than any bobbin I can wind myself!

Originally posted by Linda S

I think we need to get some clarification of yardage from Fil-Tec. My bulk Magna Glide bobbins say they have 135 yards on them (black and white). I see the Delights (Magna Glide in 48 popular colors) say 72 yards. At any rate, they last a lot longer than any bobbin I can wind myself!

Linda, I should have been more specific. I used the Magna-Glide Delights.

I will never wind another bobbin again! :D

Guest Linda S

Bekah - did you take your backlash spring out of your bobbin case? What tension are you running them at? Do you have a Towa gauge? I run my bobbins around 20-22. No backlash spring, magnet (black) side towards the inside of the bobbin case. Your top thread should should give you a nice steady hard pull without any catches.

Linda

Are you sure you are getting pokies? The Magna Glide classics are extremely fine thread, so you might be seeing the top (or bottom) thread in the holes created by the needle. (I mean, where the two threads lock together in the batting layer, you are still going to see the point at which these threads overlap....if you get what I mean.) If you have high contrast between the back and front threads, and are using a lower loft batting, that could be what you are seeing, rather than the polies. Just a thought.

I just wanted to jump on and give a big thumbs up to Fil-Tec--yesterday afternoon this pre-wound BottomLine girl ordered 10 different colors of Magna Glide Delights. I have used some before and know they are a good product. I placed my order yesterday, was emailed confirmation of the order right away, received a notice today that they have been shipped this morning AND that the shipping charges were reduced by $5!

How's that for great customer service?:):):):):)

Guest Linda S

Linda - I hope they arrive in a timely manner. I've been trying to get them to switch to USPS Priority mail. My last order took 10 days to get here. They process immediately but then hand things over to UPS ground. NOT good. Love the company, love the thread, hate their shipping method. I ordered about 20 pounds of fabric from Wilma at Christian Lane in Connecticut on Thursday, and it was all at my house on Saturday!! I love Priority Mail!

I wish they would get more choices in by the gross for the magna-glide classics. I could get by with about 7 of them. white, cream, taupe, gray, brown, black and blue. I would buy them for sure if I could get those colors as they are my most used. I think the glides are great but with only half the thread it would sure add an expense to my thread supply. I also don't like that you can't buy those in bulk. 20 bobbins wouldn't last that long.

Archived