The Queen and Her Court

Anybody out there quilted The Queen and Her Court block of the month quilt? I just got one to do. Any ideas or pictures of what you have done would be greatly appreciated. This customer knows I do mostly edge to edge, but I might have to come out of my comfort zone on this one...

I have two of these to do, and plan to put one on the frame next week. What I have seen done on this quilt is cc's in the checkerboard area, and in the squares framing the center "queen" block. Then, different designs in the sampler blocks that make up the "court." (feathers, swirls, wreaths, etc.) SID around the applique. The large leaves on the applique will need some veins quilted in them, SID the centers of the large flowers and put some veining out into the petals for definition. The pattern called for stitching out into the petals with a thread that would show up, so maybe a lighter color than the flower would work. The one I saw quilted had McTavishing in the entire background area, but I plan to do something different there, rather than just plain McTavishing. Whatever background you like would be fine. A feather fill would be good, too. The outer border is a busy print, so beadboard or piano keys will work..or feathers if you want to. I don't remember what was in the center block, maybe just stitch around the fussy-cut flower...McT the background, and CC or feathers in the remaining area. Post when you get it done. Its a really pretty quilt.

The problem is...I am a Panto kind of gal and my customer knows that and I don't think she is planning on paying for custom work. I was thinking of doing a separate border treatment especially as that little tiny inner border is actually one of those dimensional flaps, and then something across the main body of the quilt. I have gone right over applique before and it was fine, but this quilt just screams for custom...Shana can I send it to you in Alaska?? All of you gals do such gorgeous custom work and I have stayed with pretty much EtoE as I don't want to spend weeks on a quilt (that's how long custom would take me for sure). I need to communicate with my customer more about this quilt...she is a gem of a gal to work with and we will come up with some kind of plan. She always just drops her quilts off for me to pick up in town and has a little note in them that says use your expertise and do what you think. I think we need to actually communicate about this one.

Lynn, please post pictures when you get yours done. Your ideas sound wonderful...I am just not at your level of quilting and again, I don't think my customer is planning on paying for custom work.

Thanks gals!

I have one of these to put on next week!!! Ha, a little intimidating...but I always feel that way when faced with custom work...then you just jump in and get started and things are ok! My customer actually brought the pattern and would like me to use it for inspiration....okey dokey, makes my job a bit easier!!!

Terri,

You make custom work sound so easy...just a little this and a little that. All I think of is panic! I know I have to get over it, but panto's really are my bread and butter, so I use that for my excuse to chicken out. I need to take some classes to get me out from behind the machine! Anybody make house calls? I live on Fort Peck Lake in Montana...you could come in the summer and my husband could take your husband fishing while we quilt...any takers?

Hi Robin!

If you are doing E2E freehand now, the jump to "custom-y" isn't that hard.

My buddy Shannon the Doodlebug always quotes the maxim about eating an elephant--How do you eat an elephant? Why, one bite at a time. She uses that to ease students into realizing that all you need to quilt is what is in the stitching field. That's not so big or so bad that you can't handle what your arms can reach!;)

Please don't be afraid of the center--that can be stitched down with your favorite overall design--stipple is great, or small loops, ribbon meander, whatever you are comfortable with and can stitch small. Using matching thread you can get close enough to the applique that you may not need to closely outline.

Small bites, small areas, advance the top, continue----Look! You're finished!!:P

(Myrna is in Washington now-- maybe she can be enticed east for a class!)

Thanks for the encouragement gals. You know I haven't really done freehand either...just panto's and whatever I can follow the line on. I can do fairly detailed pantos now, so I have advanced in that direction. The thing I am so anal about is even spacing, so freehand just scares me. I know I have to doodle, doodle, doodle, they say if you can draw it you can quilt it. I need to "Get over it!" and move on to the next level.

Robin, custom isn't all that hard. It doesn't necessarily require that you be wonderful at freehand E to E. There are templates for CC's, SID, etc. There are guides to help you work around applique. The background fills are really easy (if time consuming) and give great impact. This is a great quilt to practice on. If you have mastered control of your machine well enough to do complex pantos, you can do light custom. Give it a shot on a small practice piece. I'll bet you do better than you think. Don't be intimidated by all the fancy feathers you see others doing on the forum. Not all quilts need that type custom. Most of them can be beautiful with far less complicated designs, especially on busy prints or pieced blocks with a lot of pieces, such as this quilt. CC's and a few swirls here and there are all you will need. Your customer has given you this quilt to do for her using panto or E to E prices. She won't mind if you do light custom at the same rate. You will gain experience, she will get a bargain, and any small wobbles and bobbles won't show anyhow. Think about giving it a shot.

Lynn

Thanks gals...with all of that encouragement I'm about ready to give it a shot. I just have four other quilts to do first! But my brain is sure spinning about what I could try. This customer is an especially great gal, always so agreeable to whatever I want to do...she trusts me...she is one who definitely deserves a bargain.

Robin,

Maybe you could do one of your other quilts with a freehand E2E and practice freehand designs. that way you could get your courage up for freehanding on this quilt. It is a beautiful quilt and I think you can do it. After you do freehand, I think you will enjoy it more than pantos! Give it a try!

Archived