Does anyone here only use their longarm as a hobby?

Hi Shana,

As all of the others have said don't be put off by what you overheard. People get into quilting for many and varied reasons some stick around and others decide it's not for them and go on to something else. You can find your own market and grab as much of it as you want with practice and work. If you enjoy what you do and work to get better people will notice and you'll have to start beating them off with a stick. I've been machine quilting since 1990 I'm still quilting many others are not. Good luck go for your dream and don't let someone talk you out of it.

Anita

Don't be discouraged Shana. Mom (80) and I (59) just bought a Milli on Friday to use as our own creative outlet and also a few friends. I had two quilts at a LA for two months and still had to wait another two months before she could get to it. The whole process of piecing and now stitching will be within our own control on our schedule.

On Saturday I joined the AZ Longarm Quilters Guild and attended Sharon Schamber's trunk show. She has two quilts featured in the AQS 2006 Calendar! She won Best of Show in Houston last year! She is more than a hobbiest since she sells her designs and her work should be considered fine art. Sharon is someone I'd like to emulate. The variety and refinement of her work is extraordinary. Visit www.sharonschamber.com

Enjoy your freedom to be as creative as you want quilt monkey. Vicki Bohnhoff

I don't have my Millie yet. Hope to have her in Jan. My DH told me I need to have the CompuQuilter. His toys are very expensive compared to this so he doesn't complain. He and the cat always have a quilt to share. I told him his "hobby" business needs to pay for mine. Anyone need a waterfall? I want to quilt as my next career. I've been quilting off and on since I was 16/17. Retired from the Navy and work FT and quilt PT. I don't want to quilt for other people until I'm ready, so I have a laundry basket that I'm working on filling with PPP tops.

Pam

I bought my Millie because I wanted one. I love both piecing and machine quilting, but got tired of shoving big quilts through a domestice sewing machine.

My husband just buys things he wants whenever he wants (we can afford them, and he doesn't buy unreasonable things), but I never felt free enough to do that for myself. When he finally ask "Why are you waiting for??" I did just buy it. I love it.

I think women in particular need to get over thinking they don't "deserve" an expensive machine because outsiders might consider it a "toy" or an "indulgence". Most men have "toys" - sports cars, tools, whatever, and no one questions them. If you can afford it, go for it.

I think I will not ever be in business, simply because I married a man 17 years older than me, and although I am just about to turn 50, if I wait to retire for another twelve or fifteen years, I will lose time with my love. His health might fail. I want the time with him now, while we can both enjoy it.

I also prefer to do my quilts all by myself! I want to design it (even if it is a traditional block), I want to piece it, and I want to quilt it. I enjoy all three processes, although I know many enjoy only certain parts of the process.

So after a long reply, the short answer is my Millie is for me, only as a hobby, but if Jane next door gets ambitious and brings a top to me, we might load it up and quilt over a glass of wine and a movie.

Mary

First off I would like to say hello to everyone. (HELLO :)) I've been visiting this site for over a year and have read a lot of replys and I would like to say that everyone here is very helpful and very friendly. This is my first time to speak out or try this thing, so I hope I'm doing this right. Also please forgive me if my spelling is off. I don't see a spell Checker and I'm not the best at spelling. :D :D

Shana,

I guess you could say that this is a hobby for me, I've always loved quilts and have always wanted to try and make one. Well, I guess you could say when I try to do something I do it up right.

I just purchased my new Milli "Becky" a couple of weeks ago. All I've been doing is practicing. Believe me I need a lot of it. My circles are square. I'm not gonna give up though. I'm kinda enjoying it. I hope that by Thanks Giving I can at least have one quilt quilted.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do and don't let what that other person said upset you, if you put your mind to it you can do it or find a way to do it. I have all the confidence in the world in you.

Just thought I would put my 2 cents in. YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!

Donna

Shana - you quiltingmonkey you! You live in such a beautiful place! You

seem like a very happy person, and I'm sure if you want to bad enough

you will make a go of it. Don't let anybody try and stop you, I agree with

what the others have said - Go for it!

Even if it ends up just being your hobby - thats great too! It is so much fun

to be able to quilt your own quilts. My husband told me that I will probably

loose money again this year, paid for the machine last year, so just getting

going. But I am busy! He owns his own business and is very understanding

on how things go. I just got back from one of our local quilt shops, and she

told me she is really going to be pushing work my way now. I just finished

3 samples for her shop. She has one LA going to a different shop, which is