Where to SID for Irish Chain??

yankiequilter

Oh yes, I would also put some pins in the blocks for stabilizing You can actually quilt your blocks and SID around them and the borders, pin baste the chains while you go. The when you get to the bottom all you have left is the fill for the chains. Irish chains are always one of my favorite quilts to do.

I'm working on the SID and am pin basting the blocks and chains as I go. Thanks, Myrna, for your advice! I'm not confident enough to work the entire quilt side to side as I move down it. I can multi-task really well, but for qulting I need to focus on one task at a time so that I can do it as good as possible.

It sounds like anything goes and CC or TT or overall meander quilting through the chains is acceptable. Still haven't decided what I'll do, but after the SID I'll quilt the blocks and then decide. Maybe the quilt will speak to me? :D

I have quilted the chains with a diagonal line through the blocks--each intersection and also the outside corners. This encloses the chains and if the plain blocks are filled with quilting to the edges, you won't need to stabilize them with SID. Do pin baste them though if you are quilting them last.

One more important thing to consider--diagonal lines on a quilt are subject to lots of stress because of the stretch of the fabric bias, and sometimes if the quilting is not close together the stitching lines can break just from tugging on the quilt while making the bed! So, if you stitch diagonally, do starts and stops as you advance so the stitching lines are secured. Gives a nice crosshatched effect.

I did a squiggle stitch on the diagonal on an Irish Chain--it gave more interest, didn't require a ruler, and looked great!

( I think I can CC faster than I can do diagonals!:P)

Archived