Help ! ! Curved cross hatching

Is there some secret to curved cross-hatching? I can do regular CH quite well, thank you, but when I tried the curved cross hatching using the Judalator, it turned out to be a mess. I thought it would be so easy ! ! I can't get the lines to be equidistant from one row to the next with this ruler. The "instructions" leave a lot to be desired. Is there some secret that I don't know and that the instructions don't tell?

I took a class at MQS using the Judalator. When you start your next line, you line up only the edges with the marking on the ruler that you want to use, not the whole line as it does not line up properly on the whole line.

You need to use the same part of the curve for each crosshatch line. I borrowed a ruler for this class and decided that it was not the type of ruler I want to use. i then borrowed a boomerang, and this will be the ruler I order for myself.

It can be done with the Judalator, you just need to remember which curve you are using and only line up the edges with the markings on the ruler. Hope that made sense.

Thanks for info. I've been busy and not following forum for a while, so the Boomerang is something new to me. Evidently Deloa never stops inventing. I have her applique thingy and I like it.

I only remember that I saw someone's beautiful CCH and she said she had used the Judalator, and I immediately ordered one that day. That was quite a while ago, but I finally got a quilt I wanted to use it on, and it turned out so badly -- fortunately it was mine and I'm not going to tear it out, but I would have had to if it had been a customer's.

Thanks, Katydids, for the tip about just lining up the edges (do you mean the ends?) and not trying to follow the whole line because the whole line doesn't line up

Hope to hear from some more Judalator users.

I use DeLoa's boomerangs because the markings are so easy. When you go to her site and hit the button to see them, you'll see two pictures of part of a quilt I used them on. I only had my machine for one year and I had no problem using them. I used the 12 and 15 inch boomerangs on them. At MQX I'm going to get the smaller ones, too.

I never thought to use them for around applique, so I'm glad that was mentioned. I have DeLoa's appliquide ruler, but with the new M&M wheels the machine is so easy to move. I was McTavishing at the same time so I couldn't use the ruler. I was actually using my finger, but after Hitomi's post I'll use the boomerang.

Archived