Freehand wholecloth --- e2e fun (added new pics of the satin side) at bottom of p1 and p2

Thought I'd share... I spent Sunday playing on a customer's king size wholecloth quilt. It's white cotton sateen on the top and a beige satin on the back. Batting is wool. I used So Fine white on top and Bottom Line white in bobbin.

I turned on the music and set the speed to maximum 15! and I just played the "Quilt it as I go Along" game, and I did all sorts of different designs as I went across the quilt--whatever came to mind, well, that's what I did...pretty much spontaneous.

I got my inspriration from my large library of quilt books and then I got started -- I quilted a variety of feather shapes, ferny fronds, different types of flowers and a variety of leaf shapes. It was super fun to be spontaneous like this. Using the same color thread just melted right into the fabric. The back of the quilt (beige satin) is even prettier than the front. Maybe I'll take pics of the back tonight when I get home.

Oh and when I took it off the frame and was holding it in my arms, it just felt "like butta" especially because of the wool batting and the satin backing. Ooooh lucious! Such a soft comfy quilt this is! :)

post--13461905651251_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, girls. :) It went very quickly, going top speed at 15 and considering it was king size, I zipped merrily along and I was finished with it in about 5 hours or so... I took a few breaks.

In one of Karen McTavish's books (I have them all LOL!) Karen mentions a quick and fast quilt to make in a jiffy (no piecing) is a wholecloth quilt like this. Just slap two big pieces of fabric together with some batting, pick a pretty thread ... and just go for it----- "Let 'er Rip" as Heidi says.... :P

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Just slap two big pieces of wholecloth fabric together with some batting, pick a thread ... and just "let 'er Rip" as Heidi says.... :P

That's been my plan for more than a year. I have a piece of pretty neutral batik backing fabric to use for the top and it will be king size. Then I don't have to make any more king size quilts for our bed. Just put the pretty Christmas, or spring, or patriotic, or fall, or whatever floats my boat smaller quilt on top of it and I'm all set! Just need to fit it into the schedule. :D

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Wowwowwow!! Spectacular quilting! Love it!

Top-notch--please show the satin side....

OK I am leaving for home right now so will add pics within the hour... stay tuned!! :P

Originally posted by CindyT

Beautiful stitches and pretty freehand designs!! What music placed its magic spell on your quilting session?

Oh I have Pandora playing on my computer all the time. I switch channels -- I love and appreciate all kinds of music from heavy metal to symphonies to country to big band swing to good old rock & roll classics... Yesterday I was listening to the Contemporary Country station (lots of John Prine and folky type artists like that-good music!!)

My favorite Pandora station is the Rob Thomas station. I have a majorly huge crush on that guy...

So, I must ask::: Is it proper for a 48 year old lady to have a crush on a rock singer? He makes my knees weak. I love Rob Thomas's voice...he sings sooo... ahhhh!!! (heavy sigh)

Here are a few pictures of the back (satin side)

post--13461905652608_thumb.jpg

Archived