The last of very friendly borders

As you can see by the picture, this quilt has 4 very friendly borders. My customer is sort of new to quilting and each quilt I get from her has a new set of issues. This is the first quilt that she has done that she set the blocks on point. And as you can see from the picture, she did an ok job of getting all the blocks nice and flat ~~~~until the setting triangles. This is the last border I need to quilt, but the other 3 were very similar to this one. She didn't realize that the bias edge would be a problem. I asked her if she wanted to re-do it but she told me to just go ahead and do the best I can with them. I've got the last row of blocks yet to quilt, then I'll roll this up and begin the pleating process. I've taken in about 6" per side on the other borders, so I anticipate about the same here. She is learning a good lesson on this one. And I offered to loan her my setting triangle ruler so that she can cut them differently next time. I really just want you all to feel sorry for me. :o Ok, here is the picture - thanks for looking.

post--13461905656675_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is alot of extra fabric in those borders, my first thought was like Sylvias that it looked like a ruffled skirt :)

Its amazing the magic we can perform with a little help from our machines!

Did you give her a border application lesson for next time?

Hi Bonnie - The rule on setting triangles is that the straight of grain needs to be on the side that your attaching the border to and the bias edges attach to the blocks. She did it the other way around and put the bias edge for the border to attach to. So, when you are sewing it stretches. And Yes - I'm going to give her a handout on attaching borders properly, but in the past I haven't had any problems because she was always working on the straight of grain.

I got all my pleats taken and again about 6" taken out of the last border and narrowing down to the inner border. I felt like I was sewing multiple darts in a ladies top!!! only 5 of them on this side. Now to go back and finish.....

I'll be really glad to get this one off my frame. :cool

Well aren't those borders fluffy! It does look like a ruffled bed skirt on your table. Yes, I feel sorry for you and the extra time and effort you are putting into making this look as good as possible.

Think of it as an opportunity to educate a new aspiring quilt maker. We all started with less knowledge than we have now, and hopefully she is appreciative of what you are teaching her and will put the knowledge to use. She's got the blocks flat, so that's a good start, and I bet next time her setting triangles will be cut on grain. You could have a steady customer bringing in nice tops after a few lessons. :)

You might also tell her about measuring her borders. If she didn't measure, just sewed, that would also contribute to the excess in the borders.

Here is a motif that I put in all those troublesome setting triangles.

2043391030094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

I'm sorry that I didn't see your request to photo as I was working in all the fullness. But because the fabric was so busy, I could make a pleat (these are really darts like in a woman's blouse), pin it down move down the border and repeat as needed to take in all the fullness. Then I went back and stitched it as I was doing piano keys and just adjusted a bit here and there to make it all look ok. This was way too full to stipple to take up the fullness, there would have been tucks, pleats bubbles, etc., all over it. You really don't see where I took the pleats/darts, unless your looking really close.

Archived