Cutting Table

I am contemplating a cutting table for the quilt studio at my new house. I have looked at Nancy's Notions, Joann and Grace Frame. Does anyone have one of these? Would you recommend it? The one from Grace Frame is $500, not sure I want to spend that much on it! Thanks!

Another source for a cutting table is any cabinet supplier--whether big box store or local independent. A base cabinet that is an orphan or a "scratch and dent" bargain makes a great base, you can raise it any height you like with a wider kick-plate, and the top can be plywood or MDF covered with one of JoAnn's big cutting mats. Plus you get a bonus with storage behind the doors.

Lynda Newell has a great cutting table. I will look for a photo....

I had the kitchen cabinets in my quilt room at the current house. Nice for storage, but I don't need that so much at the new house. And I am leaning towards a portable, fold-away table in case I need to move it when I have friends over to quilt. Really, though, until I get in the new house and let it "speak" to me, I won't make a final decision!

I bought one of those wire shelves from Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club. You have to put them together, aka adjust the height. I made a big board ironing board for the top and just put my cutting mat on top when cutting is what I'm doing next. Works really well, super sturdy and it has open shelves. Should run you about $80.00 for the shelve unit. Good Luck

Lisa, I have two 6 foot tables from Lowes and have bed raisers under each. They sorta look like flower pots. Got them at JO Ann' at half price. There were $14 a set of 4 and $7 at 50% off!!!

That gives lots of room underneath for other stuff like fabric!!!!

I have the fold-up cutting table from JoAnn's but it is really shaky and moves. My table is on a wood floor and even with the wheel locks on, it still moves. I guess if it was on carpet it would be better, but it really isn't very stable. If I had the room, I would definitely buy a better, more stable table. I do have to fold my table up occasionally when I'm not using it.

My quilting friend has the fold out table like sold at Joann's but she says it's very shaky.

I'm lucky enough to have the Horn of America cutting table. It can fold down too, but it stays open. I use it all the time.

My friend always comments on how nice this table is compared to the one she has.

Mine is from Joann Fabrics and I really like it! It folds down to a narrow table and it does not have wheels on the bottom, so no problem with it rolling away, yet still easy to move. It is sturdy and easy and I haven't had any trouble with it. Watch their flyer or online for coupons, I got mine on sale.

Good luck finding the table you want!

Saw this idea at a local Hancock's and it is what we use. We have an 8foot white top, folding legs table from Lowe's (I think that Dell and I are talking about the same thing.) To make it taller, we got one of the cardboard tubes that upholstery fabric comes on, and cut it into 4ths with a jigsaw. (DH did it for us.) Stuck them on each leg and voila, just the right height for us. It is very sturdy, no wobbles, just not the prettiest thing around, but we don't care.

Guest Linda S

The bed raisers are a great idea. I happened to buy, several years ago, two 3' x 6' banquet tables at Costco. At the time, they had them with adjustable height legs. So, I have a great 6' x 6' cutting area that probably cost me a total of about $80. I did cover them with huge pinnable cutting matts. A lot cheaper than $500.

I "had" the table from JoAnn's and used it for about 5 years. It was always a bit shaky; frequently had to tighten the screws. It finally got so bad that when I would rotary cut the table would move away from me and when I would lift the cutter, the table would sort of bounce back at me. It just seemed too dangerous to continue using, so I bought a Horn table. My Bernina cabinet is a Horn, so I bought a cutting table to match - Sunset Oak color. This table has the 2 drop down leaves and also has 1 drawer. I've had it about 2 years and I love it. The LQS uses this model to cut fabric for customers. The gal I spoke to said it has been there for quite a few years and is as steady as a rock. That convinced me to get that model and I am very happy with it.

I bought 6 double door Closet Maid cabinets. Bought a 6 foot table with the legs that fold up and set that on top of the cabinets. I also know someone who bought the open 3 x 3 shelving with the fabric bins ( I don't know how many she bought, but enough to hold up a large table top on all sides) But this way you have bins or cabinets to fold fabric or supplies.

Don't laugh but I bought two Wal-Mart jeans tables at a fixture liquidation sale when one of the old Wal-Marts closed nearby. They have wheels so they can roll around. Butted the two together, screwed a 4' x 8' sheet of MDF on top and have a large sturdy cutting table surface. I can roll it out of the way when need be and I have tons of storage underneath that holds 18 plastic bins of material stash. Made me very happy, especially when it was all for around $100 total.

You all are the best! I now have lots of ideas! My sewing cabinet is a Horn, I will look into that option. I am sure it is pricey but I know it's well made. I didn't even think of Ikea...thanks Ardelle!

Kristina, the new JoAnn is opening this spring sometime. There is much activity at the building! It is in the old Builder's Mart across from WalMart.

Our quilt group meets to sew at a member's church and we use their 8' banquet tables. To make them higher, we have PVC pipe cut into lenths that fit over the legs of the tables to raise them up to comfortable working height. All we have to do when done for the day is take off the PVC pipe "legs" and the table is back to normal for the church to use. Have to have the right kind of legs that come down and curve out - not just straight legs.

I like the bed risers idea too !

Hi Lisa

I bought the smallest hollow-core door I could get from Home Depot. It was about 78" x 30" I put batting & muslin on 1 side for ironing & use the other side with cutting boards for cutting. I'm going to get a made to fit cutting board for it next. I think Quilter's Rule do it. I will check at MQX.

I put the 'table' on folding saw horses, also from Home Depot. The whole thing can be dismantled & stored out of the way when someone is visiting & needs to sleep in that room. The ironing side is great for quilts as it is wide.....

My dream cutting table is to use 4 kitchen under-counter units with drawers and cupboard, 2 each side, back to back with locking castors. Tons of storage! Then I would put a 4X8 sheet of plywood or countertop with a huge cutting mat on top. One end I would cover and make an ironing station. This was the plan when my studio was going to be one big room.

The house we bought had a separate grannyflat that I use for my studio. It's basically a 700 sq. ft. one bedroom house. My longarm fills the livingroom and my sewing machines and small:( cutting table are in the bedroom. The trade-off is: I have a bathroom and a kitchen so I'm self contained. I never have to leave and go to the main house during the day. Works great for teaching small groups or just working by myself. It's a good trade-off and I'm not complaining. But I still think of that lovely big station!

Archived